Field with attribut in the schema.xml ?

Bruno Mannina
Dear,

I can't find how can I define in my schema.xml a field with this format?

My original format is:

<exch:inventors>

<exch:inventor>
<exch:inventor-name>
<name>WEBER WALTER</name>
</exch:inventor-name>
<residence>
<country>CH</country>
</residence>
</exch:inventor>

<exch:inventor>
<exch:inventor-name>
<name>ROSSI PASCAL</name>
</exch:inventor-name>
<residence>
<country>FR</country>
</residence>
</exch:inventor>

</exch:inventors>

I convert it to:
<field name="inventor">WEBER WALTER</field>
<field name="inventor">ROSSI PASCAL</field>

but how can I add Country code to the field without losing the link
between inventor?
Can I use an attribut ?

Any idea are welcome :)

Thanks,
Bruno Mannina

Re: Field with attribut in the schema.xml ?

G.Long
Hi :)

You could just add a field called country and then add the information
to your document.

Regards,
Gary L.

Le 10/05/2012 14:25, Bruno Mannina a écrit :

> Dear,
>
> I can't find how can I define in my schema.xml a field with this format?
>
> My original format is:
>
> <exch:inventors>
>
> <exch:inventor>
> <exch:inventor-name>
> <name>WEBER WALTER</name>
> </exch:inventor-name>
> <residence>
> <country>CH</country>
> </residence>
> </exch:inventor>
>
> <exch:inventor>
> <exch:inventor-name>
> <name>ROSSI PASCAL</name>
> </exch:inventor-name>
> <residence>
> <country>FR</country>
> </residence>
> </exch:inventor>
>
> </exch:inventors>
>
> I convert it to:
> <field name="inventor">WEBER WALTER</field>
> <field name="inventor">ROSSI PASCAL</field>
>
> but how can I add Country code to the field without losing the link
> between inventor?
> Can I use an attribut ?
>
> Any idea are welcome :)
>
> Thanks,
> Bruno Mannina

Re: Field with attribut in the schema.xml ?

Bruno Mannina
like that:

<field name="inventor-country">CH</field>
<field name="inventor-country">FR</field>

but in this case Ioose the link between inventor and its country?

if I search an inventor named ROSSI with CH:
q=inventor:rossi and inventor-country=CH

the I will get this result but it's not correct because Rossi is FR.

Le 10/05/2012 14:28, G.Long a écrit :

> Hi :)
>
> You could just add a field called country and then add the information
> to your document.
>
> Regards,
> Gary L.
>
> Le 10/05/2012 14:25, Bruno Mannina a écrit :
>> Dear,
>>
>> I can't find how can I define in my schema.xml a field with this format?
>>
>> My original format is:
>>
>> <exch:inventors>
>>
>> <exch:inventor>
>> <exch:inventor-name>
>> <name>WEBER WALTER</name>
>> </exch:inventor-name>
>> <residence>
>> <country>CH</country>
>> </residence>
>> </exch:inventor>
>>
>> <exch:inventor>
>> <exch:inventor-name>
>> <name>ROSSI PASCAL</name>
>> </exch:inventor-name>
>> <residence>
>> <country>FR</country>
>> </residence>
>> </exch:inventor>
>>
>> </exch:inventors>
>>
>> I convert it to:
>> <field name="inventor">WEBER WALTER</field>
>> <field name="inventor">ROSSI PASCAL</field>
>>
>> but how can I add Country code to the field without losing the link
>> between inventor?
>> Can I use an attribut ?
>>
>> Any idea are welcome :)
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Bruno Mannina

Re: Field with attribut in the schema.xml ?

Michael Kuhlmann-4
Am 10.05.2012 14:33, schrieb Bruno Mannina:
> like that:
>
> <field name="inventor-country">CH</field>
> <field name="inventor-country">FR</field>
>
> but in this case Ioose the link between inventor and its country?

Of course, you need to index the two inventors into two distinct documents.

Did you mark those fields as multi-valued? That won't make much sense IMHO.

Greetings,
Kuli

Re: Field with attribut in the schema.xml ?

G.Long
When you add data into Solr, you add documents which contain fields.
In your case, you should create a document for each of your inventors
with every attribute they could have.

Here is an example in Java:

SolrInputDocument doc = new SolrInputDocument();
doc.addField("inventor", "Rossi");
doc.addField("country", "FR");
solrServer.add(doc);
And then you do the same for all your inventors.

This way, each doc in your index represents one inventor and you can
query them like:
q=inventor:rossi AND country:FR

Le 10/05/2012 14:33, Bruno Mannina a écrit :

> like that:
>
> <field name="inventor-country">CH</field>
> <field name="inventor-country">FR</field>
>
> but in this case Ioose the link between inventor and its country?
>
> if I search an inventor named ROSSI with CH:
> q=inventor:rossi and inventor-country=CH
>
> the I will get this result but it's not correct because Rossi is FR.
>
> Le 10/05/2012 14:28, G.Long a écrit :
>> Hi :)
>>
>> You could just add a field called country and then add the
>> information to your document.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Gary L.
>>
>> Le 10/05/2012 14:25, Bruno Mannina a écrit :
>>> Dear,
>>>
>>> I can't find how can I define in my schema.xml a field with this
>>> format?
>>>
>>> My original format is:
>>>
>>> <exch:inventors>
>>>
>>> <exch:inventor>
>>> <exch:inventor-name>
>>> <name>WEBER WALTER</name>
>>> </exch:inventor-name>
>>> <residence>
>>> <country>CH</country>
>>> </residence>
>>> </exch:inventor>
>>>
>>> <exch:inventor>
>>> <exch:inventor-name>
>>> <name>ROSSI PASCAL</name>
>>> </exch:inventor-name>
>>> <residence>
>>> <country>FR</country>
>>> </residence>
>>> </exch:inventor>
>>>
>>> </exch:inventors>
>>>
>>> I convert it to:
>>> <field name="inventor">WEBER WALTER</field>
>>> <field name="inventor">ROSSI PASCAL</field>
>>>
>>> but how can I add Country code to the field without losing the link
>>> between inventor?
>>> Can I use an attribut ?
>>>
>>> Any idea are welcome :)
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Bruno Mannina

Re: Field with attribut in the schema.xml ?

Bruno Mannina
But I have more than 80 000 000 documents with many fields with this
kind of description?!

i.e:
inventor
applicant
assignee
attorney

I must create for each document 4 documents ??

yes, I did.

Re: Field with attribut in the schema.xml ?

G.Long
You don't have to create a document per field. You have to create a
document per person.

If inventors, applicants, assignees and attorneys have properties in
common, you could have a model like :

<field name="name" ...>
<field name="country" ...>
<field name="occupation ...>

Then you create a document which contain all of these fields for each
person.

Regards,
Gary

Le 10/05/2012 14:47, Bruno Mannina a écrit :

> But I have more than 80 000 000 documents with many fields with this
> kind of description?!
>
> i.e:
> inventor
> applicant
> assignee
> attorney
>
> I must create for each document 4 documents ??
>
> Le 10/05/2012 14:41, G.Long a écrit :
>> When you add data into Solr, you add documents which contain fields.
>> In your case, you should create a document for each of your inventors
>> with every attribute they could have.
>>
>> Here is an example in Java:
>>
>> SolrInputDocument doc = new SolrInputDocument();
>> doc.addField("inventor", "Rossi");
>> doc.addField("country", "FR");
>> solrServer.add(doc);
>> And then you do the same for all your inventors.
>>
>> This way, each doc in your index represents one inventor and you can
>> query them like:
>> q=inventor:rossi AND country:FR
>>
>> Le 10/05/2012 14:33, Bruno Mannina a écrit :
>>> like that:
>>>
>>> <field name="inventor-country">CH</field>
>>> <field name="inventor-country">FR</field>
>>>
>>> but in this case Ioose the link between inventor and its country?
>>>
>>> if I search an inventor named ROSSI with CH:
>>> q=inventor:rossi and inventor-country=CH
>>>
>>> the I will get this result but it's not correct because Rossi is FR.

Re: Field with attribut in the schema.xml ?

Michael Kuhlmann-4
I don't know the details of your schema, but I would create fields like
name, country, street etc., and a field named role, which contains
values like inventor, applicant, etc.

How would you do it otherwise? Create only four documents, each fierld
containing 80 mio. values?

Greetings,
Kuli

Am 10.05.2012 14:47, schrieb Bruno Mannina:

> But I have more than 80 000 000 documents with many fields with this
> kind of description?!
>
> i.e:
> inventor
> applicant
> assignee
> attorney
>
> I must create for each document 4 documents ??
>
> Le 10/05/2012 14:41, G.Long a écrit :
>> When you add data into Solr, you add documents which contain fields.
>> In your case, you should create a document for each of your inventors
>> with every attribute they could have.
>>
>> Here is an example in Java:
>>
>> SolrInputDocument doc = new SolrInputDocument();
>> doc.addField("inventor", "Rossi");
>> doc.addField("country", "FR");
>> solrServer.add(doc);
>> And then you do the same for all your inventors.
>>
>> This way, each doc in your index represents one inventor and you can
>> query them like:
>> q=inventor:rossi AND country:FR
>>
>> Le 10/05/2012 14:33, Bruno Mannina a écrit :
>>> like that:
>>>
>>> <field name="inventor-country">CH</field>
>>> <field name="inventor-country">FR</field>
>>>
>>> but in this case Ioose the link between inventor and its country?
>>>
>>> if I search an inventor named ROSSI with CH:
>>> q=inventor:rossi and inventor-country=CH
>>>
>>> the I will get this result but it's not correct because Rossi is FR.

Re: Field with attribut in the schema.xml ?

G.Long
I think I see what the problem is.
Correct me if I'm wrong but I guess your schema does not represent a
person but something which can contain a list of persons with different
attributes, right?

The problem is that you can't reproduce easily the hierarchy of
structured data. There is no attribute in lucene index as there can be
in a xml document. If your structured data is not too complex, you could
try to add a field to your schema called "person" and concatenate all
properties (name, age, role, country) into this unique field but that
solution works only if you don't need to search for this properties...

Regards,
Gary Long

Le 10/05/2012 14:25, Bruno Mannina a écrit :

> Dear,
>
> I can't find how can I define in my schema.xml a field with this format?
>
> My original format is:
>
> <exch:inventors>
>
> <exch:inventor>
> <exch:inventor-name>
> <name>WEBER WALTER</name>
> </exch:inventor-name>
> <residence>
> <country>CH</country>
> </residence>
> </exch:inventor>
>
> <exch:inventor>
> <exch:inventor-name>
> <name>ROSSI PASCAL</name>
> </exch:inventor-name>
> <residence>
> <country>FR</country>
> </residence>
> </exch:inventor>
>
> </exch:inventors>
>
> I convert it to:
> <field name="inventor">WEBER WALTER</field>
> <field name="inventor">ROSSI PASCAL</field>
>
> but how can I add Country code to the field without losing the link
> between inventor?
> Can I use an attribut ?
>
> Any idea are welcome :)
>
> Thanks,
> Bruno Mannina

Re: Field with attribut in the schema.xml ?

Bruno Mannina
Actually I have documents like this one, country of inventor is inside
the field "inventor"
It's not exactly an inventor notice, it's a patent notive with several
fields.
The "patent-number" field is the fieldkey.

Should I split my document and use fieldkey to link them (like on normal
database)?

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<add>
<doc>
<field name="patent-number">EP1416522A4</field>
<field name="publication-date">20050921</field>
<field name="family-id">19052554</field>
<field name="title-en">THIN-FILM SEMICONDUCTOR DEVICE AND ITS PRODUCTION
METHOD</field>
<field name="title-fr">DISPOSITIF SEMI-CONDUCTEUR A FILM MINCE ET SON
PROCEDE DE PRODUCTION</field>
<field name="title-de">DANNFILM-HALBLEITERBAUELEMENT UND VERFAHREN ZU
SEINER HERSTELLUNG</field>
<field name="ecla">H01L21/20D2</field>
<field name="ipcr">H01L  21/02        20060101C I20051008RMEP </field>
<field name="applicant">ADV LCD TECH DEV CT CO LTD [JP]</field>
<field name="inventor">MATSUMURA M [JP]</field>
<field name="inventor">OANA Y [JP]</field>
<field name="inventor">ABE H [JP]</field>
<field name="inventor">YAMAMOTO Y [JP]</field>
<field name="inventor">KOSEKI H [JP]</field>
<field name="inventor">WARABISAKO M [JP]</field>
</doc>
</add>

Yes exactly what I have ! (see my next message)

Re: Field with attribut in the schema.xml ?

G.Long
I don't know what is the best solution. You could indeed split your
documents and link them with the patent-number inside the same index. Or
you could also use different cores with a specific schema (one core with
the schema for the patent and one core with the schema for the inventor)
and still link the inventors to the patent. see
http://wiki.apache.org/solr/CoreAdmin  :)

Regards,

Le 10/05/2012 15:28, Bruno Mannina a écrit :

> Actually I have documents like this one, country of inventor is inside
> the field "inventor"
> It's not exactly an inventor notice, it's a patent notive with several
> fields.
> The "patent-number" field is the fieldkey.
>
> Should I split my document and use fieldkey to link them (like on
> normal database)?
>

> <?xml version="1.0"?>
> <add>
> <doc>
> <field name="patent-number">EP1416522A4</field>
> <field name="publication-date">20050921</field>
> <field name="family-id">19052554</field>
> <field name="title-en">THIN-FILM SEMICONDUCTOR DEVICE AND ITS
> PRODUCTION METHOD</field>
> <field name="title-fr">DISPOSITIF SEMI-CONDUCTEUR A FILM MINCE ET SON
> PROCEDE DE PRODUCTION</field>
> <field name="title-de">DANNFILM-HALBLEITERBAUELEMENT UND VERFAHREN ZU
> SEINER HERSTELLUNG</field>
> <field name="ecla">H01L21/20D2</field>
> <field name="ipcr">H01L  21/02        20060101C I20051008RMEP </field>
> <field name="applicant">ADV LCD TECH DEV CT CO LTD [JP]</field>
> <field name="inventor">MATSUMURA M [JP]</field>
> <field name="inventor">OANA Y [JP]</field>
> <field name="inventor">ABE H [JP]</field>
> <field name="inventor">YAMAMOTO Y [JP]</field>
> <field name="inventor">KOSEKI H [JP]</field>
> <field name="inventor">WARABISAKO M [JP]</field>
> </doc>
> </add>

Re: Field with attribut in the schema.xml ?

Bruno Mannina

> The problem is that you can't reproduce easily the hierarchy of
> structured data. There is no attribute in lucene index as there can be
> in a xml document. If your structured data is not too complex, you
> could try to add a field to your schema called "person" and
> concatenate all properties (name, age, role, country) into this unique
> field but that solution works only if you don't need to search for
> this properties...

Yep, I think I will create a field full-inventor with country not
indexed and a field inventor without country indexed.
I can't loose this information (country) unless in the result of the
request.

The search will be done only on inventor field and full-inventor will be
answered in the xml result.