FieldCache and Sort

John Wang-9
Hi:

   In the current Lucene sorting implementation, FieldCache is used to
retrieve 2 arrays, the lookup array and the order array. The order
array at load time stores the position of the term in the lookup
array. The lookup array is already sorted because it is read in from
the index.

   My question is that since the order array contains all the
information on the order of the terms, why do we keep it around in
memory? Can we implement a SortComparator that is more memory
efficient?

Just and idea

Thanks

-John

Re: FieldCache and Sort

Yonik Seeley
Why do we keep the lookup array around?
The actual field value is needed to sort results from multiple
searchers (multisearcher).

-Yonik