Full-text search for Solr manual

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Full-text search for Solr manual

Luke Miller-2
Hi,

 

I just noticed that since Solr 8.2 the Apache Solr Reference Guide is not
available anymore as PDF.

 

Is there a way to perform a full-text search using the HTML manual? E.g. I'd
like to find every hit for "luceneMatchVersion".

 

* Using the integrated "Page title lookup." does not find anything ( -
sure, it only looks up page titles. )
* Google does not return anything either searching for:
site:https://lucene.apache.org/solr/guide/8_3/ luceneMatchVersion

 

Is there another search method I missed?

 

Thanks.

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Full-text search for Solr manual

Alexandre Rafalovitch
Grep on the source of the manual (which ships with Solr source).

Google search with domain or keywords limitations.

Online copy searching is not powered by Solr yet. Yes, we are aware of the
irony and are discussing it.

Regards,
    Aled

On Tue, Nov 12, 2019, 1:25 AM Luke Miller, <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
>
>
> I just noticed that since Solr 8.2 the Apache Solr Reference Guide is not
> available anymore as PDF.
>
>
>
> Is there a way to perform a full-text search using the HTML manual? E.g.
> I'd
> like to find every hit for "luceneMatchVersion".
>
>
>
> *       Using the integrated "Page title lookup." does not find anything (
> -
> sure, it only looks up page titles. )
> *       Google does not return anything either searching for:
> site:https://lucene.apache.org/solr/guide/8_3/ luceneMatchVersion
>
>
>
> Is there another search method I missed?
>
>
>
> Thanks.
>
>
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Full-text search for Solr manual

Luke Miller-2
In reply to this post by Luke Miller-2
Thanks Alex,

 

For your response.

 

Unfortunately the Solr source does not ship with the source of the manual.
(Directory /docs only contains a link to the online manual.)

 

Google search with domain limitation does not give any results, as mentioned
in my initial post. Any other limitation does not filter for a specific
version. E.g. https://www.google.de/search?q=
<https://www.google.de/search?q=%22Solr%20Ref%20Guide%208.3%22%20site:https:
//lucene.apache.org/%20luceneMatchVersion>
"Solr%20Ref%20Guide%208.3"%20site:https://lucene.apache.org/%20luceneMatchVe
rsion

 

I ended up downloading the whole documentation manually:

wget --timeout=1 --tries=5 --cut-dirs=3 -mkpnp -nH -P solr-8.3 -e robots=off
https://lucene.apache.org/solr/guide/8_3/

 

And then I have to grep. A plain PDF file would be so much more convenient!
Of course a Solr-enabled search for the online manual would work as well.

 

Thanks,

Julian

 

 

>Grep on the source of the manual (which ships with Solr source).

>

>Google search with domain or keywords limitations.

>

>Online copy searching is not powered by Solr yet. Yes, we are aware of the

>irony and are discussing it.

>

>Regards,

>    Aled

>

>On Tue, Nov 12, 2019, 1:25 AM Luke Miller wrote:

>

>> Hi,

>>

>>

>>

>> I just noticed that since Solr 8.2 the Apache Solr Reference Guide is not

>> available anymore as PDF.

>>

>>

>>

>> Is there a way to perform a full-text search using the HTML manual? E.g.

>> I'd

>> like to find every hit for "luceneMatchVersion".

>>

>>

>>

>> *       Using the integrated "Page title lookup." does not find anything
(

>> -

>> sure, it only looks up page titles. )

>> *       Google does not return anything either searching for:

>> site:https://lucene.apache.org/solr/guide/8_3/ luceneMatchVersion

>>

>>

>>

>> Is there another search method I missed?

>>

>>

>>

>> Thanks.

>>

>>

 

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Full-text search for Solr manual

Erick Erickson
The source tarball is what you need.

Go to the download page, click the “Apache Archive” link, thence to the version you care about and download the source. All the docs have an “.adoc” extension. The Atom editor will render those pages for you, but they’re not complicated markup.

Best,
Erick

> On Nov 13, 2019, at 1:15 AM, Luke Miller <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Thanks Alex,
>
>
>
> For your response.
>
>
>
> Unfortunately the Solr source does not ship with the source of the manual.
> (Directory /docs only contains a link to the online manual.)
>
>
>
> Google search with domain limitation does not give any results, as mentioned
> in my initial post. Any other limitation does not filter for a specific
> version. E.g. https://www.google.de/search?q=
> <https://www.google.de/search?q=%22Solr%20Ref%20Guide%208.3%22%20site:https:
> //lucene.apache.org/%20luceneMatchVersion>
> "Solr%20Ref%20Guide%208.3"%20site:https://lucene.apache.org/%20luceneMatchVe
> rsion
>
>
>
> I ended up downloading the whole documentation manually:
>
> wget --timeout=1 --tries=5 --cut-dirs=3 -mkpnp -nH -P solr-8.3 -e robots=off
> https://lucene.apache.org/solr/guide/8_3/
>
>
>
> And then I have to grep. A plain PDF file would be so much more convenient!
> Of course a Solr-enabled search for the online manual would work as well.
>
>
>
> Thanks,
>
> Julian
>
>
>
>
>
>> Grep on the source of the manual (which ships with Solr source).
>
>>
>
>> Google search with domain or keywords limitations.
>
>>
>
>> Online copy searching is not powered by Solr yet. Yes, we are aware of the
>
>> irony and are discussing it.
>
>>
>
>> Regards,
>
>>   Aled
>
>>
>
>> On Tue, Nov 12, 2019, 1:25 AM Luke Miller wrote:
>
>>
>
>>> Hi,
>
>>>
>
>>>
>
>>>
>
>>> I just noticed that since Solr 8.2 the Apache Solr Reference Guide is not
>
>>> available anymore as PDF.
>
>>>
>
>>>
>
>>>
>
>>> Is there a way to perform a full-text search using the HTML manual? E.g.
>
>>> I'd
>
>>> like to find every hit for "luceneMatchVersion".
>
>>>
>
>>>
>
>>>
>
>>> *       Using the integrated "Page title lookup." does not find anything
> (
>
>>> -
>
>>> sure, it only looks up page titles. )
>
>>> *       Google does not return anything either searching for:
>
>>> site:https://lucene.apache.org/solr/guide/8_3/ luceneMatchVersion
>
>>>
>
>>>
>
>>>
>
>>> Is there another search method I missed?
>
>>>
>
>>>
>
>>>
>
>>> Thanks.
>
>>>
>
>>>
>
>
>

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Full-text search for Solr manual

Shawn Heisey-2
In reply to this post by Luke Miller-2
On 11/12/2019 11:15 PM, Luke Miller wrote:
> Unfortunately the Solr source does not ship with the source of the manual.
> (Directory /docs only contains a link to the online manual.)

The docs directory is not where the manual lives.  In the source code
download, the solr/docs directory has an HTML version of the CHANGES.txt
file.  A clone of the git repository will not contain a docs directory
at all.  If you see a /docs directory at the top level of the download,
especially if it contains a link the the online guide, then you do not
have the source code, you have a binary release of Solr.

If you either download the source tarball from the Solr website or pull
the source down from the git repository, you will find the manual in
solr/solr-ref-guide.  With a git repository, you can use "git grep XXX"
and with either method you can use "grep -r XXX solr/solr-ref-guide".

We'd love to use Solr to power the online ref guide search, but there
are some hurdles to doing that.  The infrastructure that Apache has
provided to its projects is extensive, but doesn't currently accommodate
that kind of setup.

Thanks,
Shawn
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Full-text search for Solr manual

Alexandre Rafalovitch
In reply to this post by Luke Miller-2
Try: site:lucene.apache.org inurl:8_2 luceneMatchVersion
(8.3 does not work, seems to be not fully? indexed by google yet)

https://github.com/apache/lucene-solr/search?l=AsciiDoc&q=luceneMatchVersion
(latest development version only).

You can read the rendered documents (without extra processing we do),
right on GitHub:
https://github.com/apache/lucene-solr/blob/branch_8_3/solr/solr-ref-guide/src/blockjoin-faceting.adoc

Regards,
  Alex.

On Wed, 13 Nov 2019 at 17:23, Luke Miller <[hidden email]> wrote:

>
> Thanks Alex,
>
>
>
> For your response.
>
>
>
> Unfortunately the Solr source does not ship with the source of the manual.
> (Directory /docs only contains a link to the online manual.)
>
>
>
> Google search with domain limitation does not give any results, as mentioned
> in my initial post. Any other limitation does not filter for a specific
> version. E.g. https://www.google.de/search?q=
> <https://www.google.de/search?q=%22Solr%20Ref%20Guide%208.3%22%20site:https:
> //lucene.apache.org/%20luceneMatchVersion>
> "Solr%20Ref%20Guide%208.3"%20site:https://lucene.apache.org/%20luceneMatchVe
> rsion
>
>
>
> I ended up downloading the whole documentation manually:
>
> wget --timeout=1 --tries=5 --cut-dirs=3 -mkpnp -nH -P solr-8.3 -e robots=off
> https://lucene.apache.org/solr/guide/8_3/
>
>
>
> And then I have to grep. A plain PDF file would be so much more convenient!
> Of course a Solr-enabled search for the online manual would work as well.
>
>
>
> Thanks,
>
> Julian
>
>
>
>
>
> >Grep on the source of the manual (which ships with Solr source).
>
> >
>
> >Google search with domain or keywords limitations.
>
> >
>
> >Online copy searching is not powered by Solr yet. Yes, we are aware of the
>
> >irony and are discussing it.
>
> >
>
> >Regards,
>
> >    Aled
>
> >
>
> >On Tue, Nov 12, 2019, 1:25 AM Luke Miller wrote:
>
> >
>
> >> Hi,
>
> >>
>
> >>
>
> >>
>
> >> I just noticed that since Solr 8.2 the Apache Solr Reference Guide is not
>
> >> available anymore as PDF.
>
> >>
>
> >>
>
> >>
>
> >> Is there a way to perform a full-text search using the HTML manual? E.g.
>
> >> I'd
>
> >> like to find every hit for "luceneMatchVersion".
>
> >>
>
> >>
>
> >>
>
> >> *       Using the integrated "Page title lookup." does not find anything
> (
>
> >> -
>
> >> sure, it only looks up page titles. )
>
> >> *       Google does not return anything either searching for:
>
> >> site:https://lucene.apache.org/solr/guide/8_3/ luceneMatchVersion
>
> >>
>
> >>
>
> >>
>
> >> Is there another search method I missed?
>
> >>
>
> >>
>
> >>
>
> >> Thanks.
>
> >>
>
> >>
>
>
>