Fwd: [ANNOUNCEMENT] HttpComponents HttpClient 4.0.1 (GA) Released

Fwd: [ANNOUNCEMENT] HttpComponents HttpClient 4.0.1 (GA) Released

Erik Hatcher-4
FYI...

Begin forwarded message:

> From: Oleg Kalnichevski <[hidden email]>
> Date: December 11, 2009 2:20:50 PM GMT+01:00
> To: [hidden email], [hidden email], [hidden email],  [hidden email]
> Subject: [ANNOUNCEMENT] HttpComponents HttpClient 4.0.1 (GA) Released
>
> HttpClient 4.0.1 is a bug fix release that addresses a number of
> issues discovered since the previous stable release. None of the
> fixed bugs is considered critical. Most notably this release
> eliminates eliminates dependency on JCIP annotations.
>
> This release is also expected to improve performance by 5 to 10% due
> to elimination of unnecessary Log object lookups by short-lived
> components.
>
> -------------------
> Download -
> <http://hc.apache.org/downloads.cgi>
>
> Release notes -
> <http://www.apache.org/dist/httpcomponents/httpclient/RELEASE_NOTES.txt
> >

> HttpComponents site -
> <http://hc.apache.org/>
>
> Please note HttpClient 4.0 currently provides only limited support for
> NTLM authentication. For details please refer to
> <http://hc.apache.org/httpcomponents-client/ntlm.html>
> -------------------
>
> About Apache HttpClient
>
> Although the java.net package provides basic functionality for
> accessing
> resources via HTTP, it doesn't provide the full flexibility or
> functionality needed by many applications. HttpClient seeks to fill
> this
> void by providing an efficient, up-to-date, and feature-rich package
> implementing the client side of the most recent HTTP standards and
> recommendations.
>
> Designed for extension while providing robust support for the base
> HTTP
> protocol, HttpClient may be of interest to anyone building HTTP-aware
> client applications such as web browsers, web service clients, or
> systems that leverage or extend the HTTP protocol for distributed
> communication.

Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] HttpComponents HttpClient 4.0.1 (GA) Released

Grant Ingersoll-2
There are, in fact, updates to many of Solr's dependencies that we should consider.  I like the sound of 5-10% perf. improvement in HttpClient...

-Grant

On Dec 11, 2009, at 12:53 PM, Erik Hatcher wrote:

> FYI...
>
> Begin forwarded message:
>
>> From: Oleg Kalnichevski <[hidden email]>
>> Date: December 11, 2009 2:20:50 PM GMT+01:00
>> To: [hidden email], [hidden email], [hidden email],  [hidden email]
>> Subject: [ANNOUNCEMENT] HttpComponents HttpClient 4.0.1 (GA) Released
>>
>> HttpClient 4.0.1 is a bug fix release that addresses a number of issues discovered since the previous stable release. None of the fixed bugs is considered critical. Most notably this release eliminates eliminates dependency on JCIP annotations.
>>
>> This release is also expected to improve performance by 5 to 10% due to elimination of unnecessary Log object lookups by short-lived components.
>>
>> -------------------
>> Download -
>> <http://hc.apache.org/downloads.cgi>
>>
>> Release notes -
>> <http://www.apache.org/dist/httpcomponents/httpclient/RELEASE_NOTES.txt>
>>
>> HttpComponents site -
>> <http://hc.apache.org/>
>>
>> Please note HttpClient 4.0 currently provides only limited support for
>> NTLM authentication. For details please refer to
>> <http://hc.apache.org/httpcomponents-client/ntlm.html>
>> -------------------
>>
>> About Apache HttpClient
>>
>> Although the java.net package provides basic functionality for accessing
>> resources via HTTP, it doesn't provide the full flexibility or
>> functionality needed by many applications. HttpClient seeks to fill this
>> void by providing an efficient, up-to-date, and feature-rich package
>> implementing the client side of the most recent HTTP standards and
>> recommendations.
>>
>> Designed for extension while providing robust support for the base HTTP
>> protocol, HttpClient may be of interest to anyone building HTTP-aware
>> client applications such as web browsers, web service clients, or
>> systems that leverage or extend the HTTP protocol for distributed
>> communication.

--------------------------
Grant Ingersoll
http://www.lucidimagination.com/

Search the Lucene ecosystem (Lucene/Solr/Nutch/Mahout/Tika/Droids) using Solr/Lucene:

In fact, see https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-1429

On Dec 11, 2009, at 1:05 PM, Grant Ingersoll wrote:

> There are, in fact, updates to many of Solr's dependencies that we should consider.  I like the sound of 5-10% perf. improvement in HttpClient...
>
> -Grant
>
> On Dec 11, 2009, at 12:53 PM, Erik Hatcher wrote:
>
>> FYI...
>>
>> Begin forwarded message:
>>
>>> From: Oleg Kalnichevski <[hidden email]>
>>> Date: December 11, 2009 2:20:50 PM GMT+01:00
>>> To: [hidden email], [hidden email], [hidden email],  [hidden email]
>>> Subject: [ANNOUNCEMENT] HttpComponents HttpClient 4.0.1 (GA) Released
>>>
>>> HttpClient 4.0.1 is a bug fix release that addresses a number of issues discovered since the previous stable release. None of the fixed bugs is considered critical. Most notably this release eliminates eliminates dependency on JCIP annotations.
>>>
>>> This release is also expected to improve performance by 5 to 10% due to elimination of unnecessary Log object lookups by short-lived components.
>>>
>>> -------------------
>>> Download -
>>> <http://hc.apache.org/downloads.cgi>
>>>
>>> Release notes -
>>> <http://www.apache.org/dist/httpcomponents/httpclient/RELEASE_NOTES.txt>
>>>
>>> HttpComponents site -
>>> <http://hc.apache.org/>
>>>
>>> Please note HttpClient 4.0 currently provides only limited support for
>>> NTLM authentication. For details please refer to
>>> <http://hc.apache.org/httpcomponents-client/ntlm.html>
>>> -------------------
>>>
>>> About Apache HttpClient
>>>
>>> Although the java.net package provides basic functionality for accessing
>>> resources via HTTP, it doesn't provide the full flexibility or
>>> functionality needed by many applications. HttpClient seeks to fill this
>>> void by providing an efficient, up-to-date, and feature-rich package
>>> implementing the client side of the most recent HTTP standards and
>>> recommendations.
>>>
>>> Designed for extension while providing robust support for the base HTTP
>>> protocol, HttpClient may be of interest to anyone building HTTP-aware
>>> client applications such as web browsers, web service clients, or
>>> systems that leverage or extend the HTTP protocol for distributed
>>> communication.
>>>

> --------------------------
> Grant Ingersoll
> http://www.lucidimagination.com/
>
> Search the Lucene ecosystem (Lucene/Solr/Nutch/Mahout/Tika/Droids) using Solr/Lucene:
> http://www.lucidimagination.com/search

--------------------------
Grant Ingersoll
http://www.lucidimagination.com/

Search the Lucene ecosystem (Lucene/Solr/Nutch/Mahout/Tika/Droids) using Solr/Lucene:
http://www.lucidimagination.com/search

Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] HttpComponents HttpClient 4.0.1 (GA) Released

Uri Boness
I think it would also be wise to have a look at Jetty's httpclient. I
think its asynchronous nature can play nice for shard requests.

see: http://wiki.eclipse.org/Jetty/Tutorial/HttpClient

Cheers,
Uri

Grant Ingersoll wrote:

> In fact, see https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-1429
>
> On Dec 11, 2009, at 1:05 PM, Grant Ingersoll wrote:
>

>> There are, in fact, updates to many of Solr's dependencies that we should consider.  I like the sound of 5-10% perf. improvement in HttpClient...
>>
>> -Grant
>>
>> On Dec 11, 2009, at 12:53 PM, Erik Hatcher wrote:
>>

>>> FYI...
>>>
>>> Begin forwarded message:

>> --------------------------
>> Grant Ingersoll
>> http://www.lucidimagination.com/
>>
>> Search the Lucene ecosystem (Lucene/Solr/Nutch/Mahout/Tika/Droids) using Solr/Lucene:
>> http://www.lucidimagination.com/search
>>

> --------------------------
> Grant Ingersoll
> http://www.lucidimagination.com/
>
> Search the Lucene ecosystem (Lucene/Solr/Nutch/Mahout/Tika/Droids) using Solr/Lucene:

Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] HttpComponents HttpClient 4.0.1 (GA) Released

Noble Paul നോബിള്‍  नोब्ळ्-2
I guess the async part is done by the client library itself. How does
it help Solr?

On Sun, Dec 13, 2009 at 5:55 PM, Uri Boness <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I think it would also be wise to have a look at Jetty's httpclient. I think
> its asynchronous nature can play nice for shard requests.
>
> see: http://wiki.eclipse.org/Jetty/Tutorial/HttpClient
>
> Cheers,
> Uri
>
> Grant Ingersoll wrote:
>>
>> In fact, see https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-1429
>>
>> On Dec 11, 2009, at 1:05 PM, Grant Ingersoll wrote:
>>

>>> There are, in fact, updates to many of Solr's dependencies that we should
>>> consider.  I like the sound of 5-10% perf. improvement in HttpClient...
>>>
>>> -Grant

>>> --------------------------
>>> Grant Ingersoll
>>> http://www.lucidimagination.com/
>>>
>>> Search the Lucene ecosystem (Lucene/Solr/Nutch/Mahout/Tika/Droids) using
>>> Solr/Lucene:
>>> http://www.lucidimagination.com/search
>>>

>> --------------------------
>> Grant Ingersoll
>> http://www.lucidimagination.com/
>>
>> Search the Lucene ecosystem (Lucene/Solr/Nutch/Mahout/Tika/Droids) using
>> Solr/Lucene:
>> http://www.lucidimagination.com/search

Noble Paul | Systems Architect| AOL | http://aol.com

Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] HttpComponents HttpClient 4.0.1 (GA) Released

Yonik Seeley-2-2
2009/12/13 Noble Paul നോബിള്‍  नोब्ळ् <[hidden email]>:
> I guess the async part is done by the client library itself. How does
> it help Solr?

The only place that makes sense for async in solr is sending multiple
requests as part of a distributed search (potentially hundreds) and
not having to have a thread for each.  But even in that case I'm not
sure it's really a big deal -  for each request, the work required of
the system as a whole is much greater than the resources a thread
takes up (and we use a thread pool to avoid creating/destroying
threads all the time).

-Yonik
http://www.lucidimagination.com

Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] HttpComponents HttpClient 4.0.1 (GA) Released

Noble Paul നോബിള്‍  नोब्ळ्-2
On Sun, Dec 13, 2009 at 10:14 PM, Yonik Seeley
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> 2009/12/13 Noble Paul നോബിള്‍  नोब्ळ् <[hidden email]>:
>> I guess the async part is done by the client library itself. How does
>> it help Solr?
>
> The only place that makes sense for async in solr is sending multiple
> requests as part of a distributed search (potentially hundreds) and
> not having to have a thread for each.  But even in that case I'm not
> sure it's really a big deal -  for each request, the work required of
> the system as a whole is much greater than the resources a thread
> takes up (and we use a thread pool to avoid creating/destroying
> threads all the time).
The point is , the underlying http request is still synchronous (
correct me if I am wrong) . So there is some thread waiting somewhere
either the httpclinet framework or the threadpool in solr.

> -Yonik
> http://www.lucidimagination.com

Noble Paul | Systems Architect| AOL | http://aol.com

Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] HttpComponents HttpClient 4.0.1 (GA) Released

Yonik Seeley-2-2
2009/12/13 Noble Paul നോബിള്‍  नोब्ळ् <[hidden email]>:
> The point is , the underlying http request is still synchronous (
> correct me if I am wrong) . So there is some thread waiting somewhere
> either the httpclinet framework or the threadpool in solr.

Not if one uses async NIO (which I assume httpclient async uses, but I
don't know for sure).

-Yonik
http://www.lucidimagination.com