Fwd: CLucene incubation - call for a mentor

Fwd: CLucene incubation - call for a mentor

Erik Hatcher
forwarding this on to perhaps a wider audience.

perhaps this can dove-tail with the Lucy incubation?

Begin forwarded message:

> From: "Ben van Klinken" <[hidden email]>
> Date: October 14, 2006 3:20:10 AM EDT
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: CLucene incubation - call for a mentor
>
> Hi,
>
> I am one of the developers of CLucene, a C++ port of Lucene.
>
> A long while back, CLucene was invited to join the ASF incubation
> program under Lucene. For various reasons this hasn't happend yet. But
> CLucene has still been happily progressing and interest in the project
> continues to increase - many open source projects (such as ht://dig
> and strigi) as well as many companies use CLucene.
>
> CLucene would of course do much better if we were part of the big
> happy family of Lucene and its sub-projects. However, I believe our
> main obstacle to this is the absence of an ASF mentor.
>
> So basically I'm asking this: would Apache Lucene still like to have
> us? If yes, would anyone be interested, or know of someone interested
> in being our mentor?
>
> Look forward to a response,
>
> Ben

Re: CLucene incubation - call for a mentor

Marvin Humphrey

On Oct 15, 2006, at 3:13 AM, Erik Hatcher wrote:

> perhaps this can dove-tail with the Lucy incubation?

Lucy is all new code, so the project isn't actually passing through
the incubator.  We're looking at what Lucene did, what Ferret (Ruby/
C, Dave Balmain) did, and what KinoSearch (Perl/C, myself) did,
cherry-picking the best bits, and synthesizing something new.  I
don't really see how that process can be reconciled with the concept
of importing CLucene (C++) en toto.  I imagine Ben would bring a lot
to Lucy, though, should he choose to start contributing.  (Same for
other CLucene authors; I'm only familiar with Ben.)

Marvin Humphrey
Rectangular Research
http://www.rectangular.com/

Re: CLucene incubation - call for a mentor

Ben van Klinken
Hi,

Lucy is certainly an interesting project. There is a great advantage
of having a C language lucene which doesn't conform as closely to the
java lucene api (as CLucene does). I imagine there are many
optimisations available. But CLucene does offer something to
developers, among other things: a fairly complete port (most features
are implemented) which is high-performance, portable, extensible, and
not too hard to learn (especially if you've already done some work
with java lucene already). There are also quite a lot of projects
using it now, which must means something :)

cheers,

ben