Fwd: Python dependency

Peter Kronenberg

Any thoughts on this?  Wonering if I can totally remove the python dependency or we still need it?

Re: Python dependency

Tim Allison
IMHO, we should remove it entirely from the tesseract module.  The advancedmedia module can handle finding it/configuring it/executing it.  Or, longer term, as Nick proposed, we can have a centralized "common external commands" configuration somehow through TikaConfig...but that is for later.

As I've been reflecting on this a bit, I'm not sure we should allow runtime configuration of paths to executables.  That opens that way to path attacks, and I'm not convinced of the utility. That, also, is for later.

On Wed, Jan 13, 2021 at 8:17 PM Peter Kronenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:

Any thoughts on this?  Wonering if I can totally remove the python dependency or we still need it?

So I see that there are other Python scripts.  I have no idea what these are used for.  But does this mean that Tika still needs the dependency on Python for some cases?  I.e., we still need the Python path in the config.  I don’t see any other hasPython() method or calls to getPythonPath()  anywhere, so not sure how these works.

RE: Python dependency

Peter Kronenberg

Ok, thanks.  So for now, it’s gone