Getting ready for Lucene/Solr 4.7

Simon Willnauer-4
I just looked through the CHANGE.TXT today and I think we should get
4.7 out of the door. I can do the release though if nobody wants to
volunteer - I suggest to cut a release branch in next week Wednesday
Noon CEST if nobody objects?

simon

H.-H.-Meier-Allee 63, 28213 Bremen
http://www.thetaphi.de

Re: Getting ready for Lucene/Solr 4.7

Michael McCandless-2
+1, lots of nice improvements to get out to our users.  Thanks Simon and Uwe!

Mike McCandless

http://blog.mikemccandless.com

On Thu, Feb 13, 2014 at 2:44 PM, Simon Willnauer
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> I just looked through the CHANGE.TXT today and I think we should get
> 4.7 out of the door. I can do the release though if nobody wants to
> volunteer - I suggest to cut a release branch in next week Wednesday
> Noon CEST if nobody objects?
>
> simon

Re: Getting ready for Lucene/Solr 4.7

Simon Willnauer-4
ok sounds like we wanna do it - IMO we should branch now and backport
for 4.x so I can than just build an RC next week wednesday. Any
objections?

simon

On Fri, Feb 14, 2014 at 12:36 PM, Michael McCandless
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> +1, lots of nice improvements to get out to our users.  Thanks Simon and Uwe!
>
> Mike McCandless
>
> http://blog.mikemccandless.com
>

> On Thu, Feb 13, 2014 at 2:44 PM, Simon Willnauer
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I just looked through the CHANGE.TXT today and I think we should get
>> 4.7 out of the door. I can do the release though if nobody wants to
>> volunteer - I suggest to cut a release branch in next week Wednesday
>> Noon CEST if nobody objects?
>>
>> simon

Re: Getting ready for Lucene/Solr 4.7

Mark Miller-3
Sounds good.

- Mark

http://about.me/markrmiller

On Feb 14, 2014, at 8:25 AM, Simon Willnauer <[hidden email]> wrote:

> ok sounds like we wanna do it - IMO we should branch now and backport
> for 4.x so I can than just build an RC next week wednesday. Any
> objections?
>
> simon
>
> On Fri, Feb 14, 2014 at 12:36 PM, Michael McCandless
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> +1, lots of nice improvements to get out to our users.  Thanks Simon and Uwe!
>>
>> Mike McCandless
>>
>> http://blog.mikemccandless.com
>>

>> On Thu, Feb 13, 2014 at 2:44 PM, Simon Willnauer
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> I just looked through the CHANGE.TXT today and I think we should get
>>> 4.7 out of the door. I can do the release though if nobody wants to
>>> volunteer - I suggest to cut a release branch in next week Wednesday
>>> Noon CEST if nobody objects?
>>>
>>> simon

Re: Getting ready for Lucene/Solr 4.7

Shawn Heisey-4
On 2/14/2014 6:25 AM, Simon Willnauer wrote:
> ok sounds like we wanna do it - IMO we should branch now and backport
> for 4.x so I can than just build an RC next week wednesday. Any
> objections?

+1

Hopefully we can avoid a 4.7.1 release!

Thanks,
Shawn

Re: Getting ready for Lucene/Solr 4.7

Mark Miller-3
What!? Those bug fix point releases are great :) There are sure to be bugs in a new 4.X release (New Features) and a bug fix release lets users address them in what is normally a much safer upgrade.

Unless you meant, hopefully we have no ugly bugs - in that case, +1 and good luck :)

I think the normal biggest obstacle for a bug fix point release is a volunteer to do it.

- Mark

http://about.me/markrmiller

On Feb 14, 2014, at 3:25 PM, Shawn Heisey <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 2/14/2014 6:25 AM, Simon Willnauer wrote:
>> ok sounds like we wanna do it - IMO we should branch now and backport
>> for 4.x so I can than just build an RC next week wednesday. Any
>> objections?
>
> +1
>
> Hopefully we can avoid a 4.7.1 release!
>
> Thanks,
> Shawn

Re: Getting ready for Lucene/Solr 4.7

Peng Cheng-2
+1

On 14 February 2014 15:31, Mark Miller <[hidden email]> wrote:
What!? Those bug fix point releases are great :) There are sure to be bugs in a new 4.X release (New Features) and a bug fix release lets users address them in what is normally a much safer upgrade.

Unless you meant, hopefully we have no ugly bugs - in that case, +1 and good luck :)

I think the normal biggest obstacle for a bug fix point release is a volunteer to do it.

- Mark

http://about.me/markrmiller

On Feb 14, 2014, at 3:25 PM, Shawn Heisey <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 2/14/2014 6:25 AM, Simon Willnauer wrote:
>> ok sounds like we wanna do it - IMO we should branch now and backport
>> for 4.x so I can than just build an RC next week wednesday. Any
>> objections?
>
> +1
>
> Hopefully we can avoid a 4.7.1 release!
>
> Thanks,
> Shawn

Re: Getting ready for Lucene/Solr 4.7

Areek Zillur
I am assuming the snapshot of the ref guide is also taken for the release, so does that mean changes in ref guide has to be made before the snapshot (of the release)? or is the ref guide snapshot taken seperately from the release snapshot?

Thanks,
Areek

On 2/14/2014 1:49 PM, Areek Zillur wrote:
> I am assuming the snapshot of the ref guide is also taken for the
> release, so does that mean changes in ref guide has to be made before
> the snapshot (of the release)? or is the ref guide snapshot taken
> seperately from the release snapshot?

It would be great to have a ref guide ready along with the release, but
in its short history, it has so far been handled and released
separately, with its own rc/vote cycles.  We've had a grand total of
three ref-guide releases now.

Thanks,
Shawn

Re: Getting ready for Lucene/Solr 4.7

Chris Hostetter-3

: I am assuming the snapshot of the ref guide is also taken for the release,
: so does that mean changes in ref guide has to be made before the snapshot
: (of the release)? or is the ref guide snapshot taken seperately from the
: release snapshot?

They are done independently since they come from seperate "sources of
truth" and as a result have seperate VOTE threads.  We usually try to cut
an RC of the ref guide just after the first RC of the code -- but there's
no hard and fast rule aout timing.  People *should* be docing things in
the ref guide as they commit to 4x, but if voting is in progress on a code
RC and folks want to keep working on the ref guide to polish things up
then (in my opinion) it's worth it to delay the ref guide release a few
days while doing so.

-Hoss
http://www.lucidworks.com/

Re: Getting ready for Lucene/Solr 4.7

Simon Willnauer-4
Folks,

I created a release branch for 4.7
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/lucene/dev/branches/lucene_solr_4_7
Please backport stuff that should go into the branch until tomorrow
noon CEST. I'd appreciate if large changes could wait until 4.8 to
not unnecessarily destabilize 4.8. I will build an RC0 today to check
if something is broken, once I am done I will post the link here such
that folks can take a look at it and maybe this time it doesn't take 4
RCs to get it done.

thanks,

simon

On Sat, Feb 15, 2014 at 11:58 PM, Chris Hostetter
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> : I am assuming the snapshot of the ref guide is also taken for the release,
> : so does that mean changes in ref guide has to be made before the snapshot
> : (of the release)? or is the ref guide snapshot taken seperately from the
> : release snapshot?
>
> They are done independently since they come from seperate "sources of
> truth" and as a result have seperate VOTE threads.  We usually try to cut
> an RC of the ref guide just after the first RC of the code -- but there's
> no hard and fast rule aout timing.  People *should* be docing things in
> the ref guide as they commit to 4x, but if voting is in progress on a code
> RC and folks want to keep working on the ref guide to polish things up
> then (in my opinion) it's worth it to delay the ref guide release a few
> days while doing so.
>

> -Hoss
> http://www.lucidworks.com/

Re: Getting ready for Lucene/Solr 4.7

Simon Willnauer-4
before anybody jumps the gun - I am working on updateing the branch_4x
version wise (uwe take it easy one thing a time :)

On Tue, Feb 18, 2014 at 11:50 AM, Simon Willnauer
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Folks,
>
> I created a release branch for 4.7
> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/lucene/dev/branches/lucene_solr_4_7
> Please backport stuff that should go into the branch until tomorrow
> noon CEST. I'd appreciate if large changes could wait until 4.8 to
> not unnecessarily destabilize 4.8. I will build an RC0 today to check
> if something is broken, once I am done I will post the link here such
> that folks can take a look at it and maybe this time it doesn't take 4
> RCs to get it done.
>

> thanks,
>
> simon
>

> On Sat, Feb 15, 2014 at 11:58 PM, Chris Hostetter
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> : I am assuming the snapshot of the ref guide is also taken for the release,
>> : so does that mean changes in ref guide has to be made before the snapshot
>> : (of the release)? or is the ref guide snapshot taken seperately from the
>> : release snapshot?
>>
>> They are done independently since they come from seperate "sources of
>> truth" and as a result have seperate VOTE threads.  We usually try to cut
>> an RC of the ref guide just after the first RC of the code -- but there's
>> no hard and fast rule aout timing.  People *should* be docing things in
>> the ref guide as they commit to 4x, but if voting is in progress on a code
>> RC and folks want to keep working on the ref guide to polish things up
>> then (in my opinion) it's worth it to delay the ref guide release a few
>> days while doing so.
>>

>> -Hoss
>> http://www.lucidworks.com/

Re: Getting ready for Lucene/Solr 4.7

Simon Willnauer-4
FYI,

I build a RC from revision 1569289 and you can download it here [1] to
run / test it use the smoke tester here [2] I also added a 4_7 only
build to my  jenkins to run tests on the release branch [3]

[1] http://people.apache.org/~simonw/staging_area/lucene-solr-4.7.0-RC0-rev1569289/
[2] python3.2 -u dev-tools/scripts/smokeTestRelease.py
http://people.apache.org/~simonw/staging_area/lucene-solr-4.7.0-RC0-rev1569289/
1569289 4.7.0 /tmp/smoke_test_4_7
[3] http://builds.flonkings.com/job/Lucene-4.7_Release_Branch_Linux-Java6-64-test-only/

NOTE: this is not a RC that we vote on it just to catch stuff early!

simon