Grant write access to our wiki to Eric Pugh

Grant write access to our wiki to Eric Pugh

Tim Allison
Anyone object if I grant write access to our wiki to Eric Pugh.  He slacked
me a request.

Re: Grant write access to our wiki to Eric Pugh?

Tim Allison
Sorry...with appropriate question marks added. :D

On Tue, Oct 29, 2019 at 4:08 PM Tim Allison <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Anyone object if I grant write access to our wiki to Eric Pugh?  He
> slacked me a request.

Re: Grant write access to our wiki to Eric Pugh

Nick Burch-2
On Tue, 29 Oct 2019, Tim Allison wrote:
> Anyone object if I grant write access to our wiki to Eric Pugh.  He
> slacked me a request.

I'd almost be tempted to say that we should grant access to all ASF
Committers to our wiki. (Note - not all confluence users, as that includes
fresh spamy sign-ups). As long as we get notifications of changes (which I
think we still do post-migration?), so we can double check their changes,
it should help other ASF project committers contribute

Otherwise, for non-committers, I'd suggest we take an approach similar to
the old-wiki one from incubator, which is to grant access to anyone who
writes a vaguely sensible looking email to the list to request it (see
above for change notifications double-check!)

Thanks
Nick

Re: Grant write access to our wiki to Eric Pugh

Ken Krugler

> On Oct 29, 2019, at 3:10 PM, Nick Burch <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On Tue, 29 Oct 2019, Tim Allison wrote:
>> Anyone object if I grant write access to our wiki to Eric Pugh.  He slacked me a request.
>
> I'd almost be tempted to say that we should grant access to all ASF Committers to our wiki.

+1, CTR FTW :)

— Ken

> (Note - not all confluence users, as that includes fresh spamy sign-ups). As long as we get notifications of changes (which I think we still do post-migration?), so we can double check their changes, it should help other ASF project committers contribute
>
> Otherwise, for non-committers, I'd suggest we take an approach similar to the old-wiki one from incubator, which is to grant access to anyone who writes a vaguely sensible looking email to the list to request it (see above for change notifications double-check!)
>
> Thanks
> Nick

--------------------------
Ken Krugler
http://www.scaleunlimited.com
custom big data solutions & training
Hadoop, Cascading, Cassandra & Solr

Re: Grant write access to our wiki to Eric Pugh

Eric Pugh-4
Thanks folks….

I’ve been going through the Wiki a lot over the past three months, and I’d love to go through and clean out/update the old content.

 What do you think of me cloning a wiki page, making a whole sale set of edits, getting review of those edits from the community, and assuming it passes muster, then bringing the edits back to the original page?

Eric

_______________________
Eric Pugh | Founder & CEO | OpenSource Connections, LLC | 434.466.1467 | http://www.opensourceconnections.com <http://www.opensourceconnections.com/> | My Free/Busy <http://tinyurl.com/eric-cal>
Co-Author: Apache Solr Enterprise Search Server, 3rd Ed <https://www.packtpub.com/big-data-and-business-intelligence/apache-solr-enterprise-search-server-third-edition-raw>
This e-mail and all contents, including attachments, is considered to be Company Confidential unless explicitly stated otherwise, regardless of whether attachments are marked as such.

Re: Grant write access to our wiki to Eric Pugh

Ken Krugler
Fine by me.

— Ken

> On Oct 30, 2019, at 5:39 AM, Eric Pugh <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Thanks folks….
>
> I’ve been going through the Wiki a lot over the past three months, and I’d love to go through and clean out/update the old content.
>
> What do you think of me cloning a wiki page, making a whole sale set of edits, getting review of those edits from the community, and assuming it passes muster, then bringing the edits back to the original page?
>

> Eric
>
>> On Oct 29, 2019, at 7:00 PM, Ken Krugler <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> I'd almost be tempted to say that we should grant access to all ASF Committers to our wiki.
>>
>> +1, CTR FTW :)
>>
>> — Ken
>>
>>> (Note - not all confluence users, as that includes fresh spamy sign-ups). As long as we get notifications of changes (which I think we still do post-migration?), so we can double check their changes, it should help other ASF project committers contribute
>>>
>>> Otherwise, for non-committers, I'd suggest we take an approach similar to the old-wiki one from incubator, which is to grant access to anyone who writes a vaguely sensible looking email to the list to request it (see above for change notifications double-check!)
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>> Nick
>>
>> --------------------------
>> Ken Krugler
>> http://www.scaleunlimited.com <http://www.scaleunlimited.com/>
>> custom big data solutions & training
>> Hadoop, Cascading, Cassandra & Solr
>>

> _______________________
> Eric Pugh | Founder & CEO | OpenSource Connections, LLC | 434.466.1467 | http://www.opensourceconnections.com <http://www.opensourceconnections.com/> | My Free/Busy <http://tinyurl.com/eric-cal>
> Co-Author: Apache Solr Enterprise Search Server, 3rd Ed <https://www.packtpub.com/big-data-and-business-intelligence/apache-solr-enterprise-search-server-third-edition-raw>
> This e-mail and all contents, including attachments, is considered to be Company Confidential unless explicitly stated otherwise, regardless of whether attachments are marked as such.

--------------------------
Ken Krugler
http://www.scaleunlimited.com
custom big data solutions & training
Hadoop, Cascading, Cassandra & Solr

Re: Grant write access to our wiki to Eric Pugh

Tim Allison
+1

On Wed, 30 Oct 2019, Eric Pugh wrote:
> I’ve been going through the Wiki a lot over the past three months, and
> I’d love to go through and clean out/update the old content.

Wonderful, thanks!

In case you're also feeling keen, the source for the website is
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/tika/site/src/site/apt and the example
programs are https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/tika/trunk/tika-example/src

> What do you think of me cloning a wiki page, making a whole sale set of
> edits, getting review of those edits from the community, and assuming it
> passes muster, then bringing the edits back to the original page?

As long as it's easy to review the changes, I'd say go for whatever makes
your life easier! If doing it in the wiki is best, your plan sounds good.
If you want to download the page markup, tweak offline, and share a diff,
that's likely fine too. They who volunteers to do the hard work largely
gets to pick their method :)

Thanks
Nick

Re: Grant write access to our wiki to Eric Pugh

Eric Pugh-4
Thanks Nick, I’ll dig a bit more on those two links.

If nothing else, I’d like to get the examples all up to 1.23.