Guidance needed

gor joseph
Good Morning ,

I am a young engineer looking to join and contribute to the project .However , I got stuck on the overwhelming docs and thousands of lines of code .
 can anyone please give me advice on how to understand the project and contribute effectively ,?

Thanks

Sincerely ,
Joseph.
LinkedIn : https://fr.linkedin.com/in/josephgor
Mobile : +33 630733572
Skype :[hidden email]
E-mail :[hidden email]

Re: Guidance needed

david.w.smiley@gmail.com
Welcome!  Thanks for wanting to contribute.  Usually people contribute out of necessity to improve or fix something for a real project.  That helps focus one's self on something and establish a goal.  Since that isn't the case for you, I suggest looking through our JIRA issues tagged "newdev":
Or perhaps search for "gsoc" (which stands for Google Summer of Code).

~ David

On Mon, Apr 11, 2016 at 3:00 PM gor joseph <[hidden email]> wrote:
Good Morning ,

I am a young engineer looking to join and contribute to the project .However , I got stuck on the overwhelming docs and thousands of lines of code .
 can anyone please give me advice on how to understand the project and contribute effectively ,?

Thanks

Sincerely ,
Joseph.
LinkedIn : https://fr.linkedin.com/in/josephgor
Mobile : +33 630733572
Skype :[hidden email]
E-mail :[hidden email]

Re: Guidance needed

Dan Davis-2
There's an excellent book called "Code Reading" that could help you make sense of it.

My advice is to figure out first how to:
 (a) build using ant, outside of Eclipse or any IDE
 (b) run the tests using ant, outside of Eclipse or any IDE
 (c) start a server with custom configuration, outside of Eclipse or any IDE

Then, you need to start dividing the code into different components in your mind - Solr, Lucene, Indexing, Query Process, Structures on Disk, Structures in memory (cache), etc.

I wish I had time to follow my own advice - I know what to do, but have a couple of full-time commitments (work & family)

On Mon, Apr 11, 2016 at 2:58 PM, gor joseph <[hidden email]> wrote:

Good Morning ,

I am a young engineer looking to join and contribute to the project .However , I got stuck on the overwhelming docs and thousands of lines of code .

 can anyone please give me advice on how to understand the project and contribute effectively ,?

Thanks

Sincerely ,
Joseph.
LinkedIn : https://fr.linkedin.com/in/josephgor
Mobile : <a href="tel:%2B33%20630733572" value="+33630733572">+33 630733572
Skype :[hidden email]
E-mail :[hidden email]