HDFS Shard Split

Joe Obernberger
Hi All - added a couple more solr nodes to an existing solr cloud
cluster where the index is in HDFS.  When I try to a split a shard, I
get an error saying there is not enough disk space.  It looks like it is
looking on the local file system, and not in HDFS.

"Operation splitshard casued
exception:":"org.apache.solr.common.SolrException:org.apache.solr.common.SolrException:
not enough free disk space to perform index split on node

-Joe

Re: HDFS Shard Split

Andrzej Białecki-2
SplitShardCmd assumes that its main phase (when the Lucene index is being split) always executes on the local file system of the shard leader, and indeed the ShardSplitCmd.checkDiskSpace() checks the local file system’s free disk space - even though in reality in your case the actual data is written to the HDFS Directory so it (almost) doesn’t affect the local FS…

Please file a JIRA request to improve this. For now you simply have to make sure that you have at least 2x the index size of free disk space available on the shard leader.