HTTP Status 500 - null java.lang.IllegalArgumentException at java.nio.Buffer.limit(Buffer.java:249)

Marc Des Garets
Hi,

I am doing a really simple query on my index (it's running in tomcat):

http://host:8080/solr_er_07_09/select/?q=hash_id:123456

I am getting the following exception:

HTTP Status 500 - null java.lang.IllegalArgumentException at
java.nio.Buffer.limit(Buffer.java:249) at
org.apache.lucene.store.NIOFSDirectory$NIOFSIndexInput.readInternal(NIOF
SDirectory.java:123) at
org.apache.lucene.store.BufferedIndexInput.refill(BufferedIndexInput.jav
a:157) at
org.apache.lucene.store.BufferedIndexInput.readByte(BufferedIndexInput.j
ava:38) at
org.apache.lucene.store.IndexInput.readVInt(IndexInput.java:80) at
org.apache.lucene.index.FieldsReader.doc(FieldsReader.java:214) at
org.apache.lucene.index.SegmentReader.document(SegmentReader.java:948)
at
org.apache.lucene.index.DirectoryReader.document(DirectoryReader.java:50
6) at org.apache.lucene.index.IndexReader.document(IndexReader.java:947)
at
org.apache.solr.search.SolrIndexReader.document(SolrIndexReader.java:444
) at
org.apache.solr.search.SolrIndexSearcher.doc(SolrIndexSearcher.java:427)
at
org.apache.solr.util.SolrPluginUtils.optimizePreFetchDocs(SolrPluginUtil
s.java:267) at
org.apache.solr.handler.component.QueryComponent.process(QueryComponent.
java:269) at
org.apache.solr.handler.component.SearchHandler.handleRequestBody(Search
Handler.java:195) at
org.apache.solr.handler.RequestHandlerBase.handleRequest(RequestHandlerB
ase.java:131) at
org.apache.solr.core.SolrCore.execute(SolrCore.java:1316) at
org.apache.solr.servlet.SolrDispatchFilter.execute(SolrDispatchFilter.ja
va:338) at
org.apache.solr.servlet.SolrDispatchFilter.doFilter(SolrDispatchFilter.j
ava:241) at
tionFilterChain.java:235) at
erChain.java:206) at
e.java:233) at
e.java:191) at
:128) at
:102) at
java:109) at
org.apache.catalina.connector.CoyoteAdapter.service(CoyoteAdapter.java:2
93) at
org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Processor.process(Http11Processor.java:84
9) at
org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Protocol$Http11ConnectionHandler.process(
Http11Protocol.java:583) at
org.apache.tomcat.util.net.JIoEndpoint$Worker.run(JIoEndpoint.java:454)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:595)

Has someone any idea why would this happen?

I built the index on a different machine than the one I am doing the
query on though the configuration is exactly the same. I can do the same
query using solrj (I have an app doing that) and it works fine.

Thanks.
This transmission is strictly confidential, possibly legally privileged, and intended solely for the
addressee.  Any views or opinions expressed within it are those of the author and do not necessarily
represent those of 192.com, i-CD Publishing (UK) Ltd or any of it's subsidiary companies.  If you
are not the intended recipient then you must not disclose, copy or take any action in reliance of this
transmission. If you have received this transmission in error, please notify the sender as soon as
possible.  No employee or agent is authorised to conclude any binding agreement on behalf of
i-CD Publishing (UK) Ltd with another party by email without express written confirmation by an
authorised employee of the Company. http://www.192.com (Tel: 08000 192 192).  i-CD Publishing (UK) Ltd
is incorporated in England and Wales, company number 3148549, VAT No. GB 673128728.

Re: HTTP Status 500 - null java.lang.IllegalArgumentException at java.nio.Buffer.limit(Buffer.java:249)

hossman

: I am doing a really simple query on my index (it's running in tomcat):
:
: http://host:8080/solr_er_07_09/select/?q=hash_id:123456

details please ...

... what version of solr? lucene? tomcat?

: I built the index on a different machine than the one I am doing the

...ditto for that machine.

are you sure hte md5 checksums match for both copies of the index (ie: did
it get corrupted when you copied it)

what does CheckIndex say about hte index?

: query on though the configuration is exactly the same. I can do the same
: query using solrj (I have an app doing that) and it works fine.

that seems highly bizzare ... are you certain it's the exact same query?
what does the tomcat log say about hte two requests?

Re: HTTP Status 500 - null java.lang.IllegalArgumentException at java.nio.Buffer.limit(Buffer.java:249)

Lance Norskog-2
That area of the Lucene code throws NullPEs and ArrayIndex bugs, but
they are all caused by corrupt indexes. They should be caught and
wrapped.

--
Lance Norskog
[hidden email]