Hardware requirements to host Apache Solr application

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Hardware requirements to host Apache Solr application

Kaushal Shriyan
Hi,

Are there any recommended hardware requirements to host Apache Solr
application? For example is it t2.large in AWS or similar configuration in
GCP and Microsoft Azure.

Thanks in advance and i look forward to hearing from you.

Best Regards,

Kaushal
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Hardware requirements to host Apache Solr application

Shawn Heisey-2
On 7/15/2019 6:37 AM, Kaushal Shriyan wrote:
> Are there any recommended hardware requirements to host Apache Solr
> application? For example is it t2.large in AWS or similar configuration in
> GCP and Microsoft Azure.
>
> Thanks in advance and i look forward to hearing from you.

This question is impossible to answer without significantly more
information about exactly what Solr will be doing.  Even with additional
information, all we can do is offer an educated guess.  That guess could
turn out to be wrong.

https://lucidworks.com/post/sizing-hardware-in-the-abstract-why-we-dont-have-a-definitive-answer/

Thanks,
Shawn
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Hardware requirements to host Apache Solr application

Walter Underwood
One of our clusters got as large as 40 c4.8xlarge, another is happy with 4 m4.xlarge and could probably handle the load with one of them. It depends on the number of documents, query load, types of queries, frequency of updates, all sorts of things.

wunder
Walter Underwood
[hidden email]
http://observer.wunderwood.org/  (my blog)

> On Jul 15, 2019, at 6:06 AM, Shawn Heisey <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On 7/15/2019 6:37 AM, Kaushal Shriyan wrote:
>> Are there any recommended hardware requirements to host Apache Solr
>> application? For example is it t2.large in AWS or similar configuration in
>> GCP and Microsoft Azure.
>> Thanks in advance and i look forward to hearing from you.
>
> This question is impossible to answer without significantly more information about exactly what Solr will be doing.  Even with additional information, all we can do is offer an educated guess.  That guess could turn out to be wrong.
>
> https://lucidworks.com/post/sizing-hardware-in-the-abstract-why-we-dont-have-a-definitive-answer/
>
> Thanks,
> Shawn

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Hardware requirements to host Apache Solr application

Gus Heck
And you could run a small single core on hardware much smaller than the
latest smart phones if it didn't have to serve many requests...

On Mon, Jul 15, 2019 at 11:24 AM Walter Underwood <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> One of our clusters got as large as 40 c4.8xlarge, another is happy with 4
> m4.xlarge and could probably handle the load with one of them. It depends
> on the number of documents, query load, types of queries, frequency of
> updates, all sorts of things.
>
> wunder
> Walter Underwood
> [hidden email]
> http://observer.wunderwood.org/  (my blog)
>
> > On Jul 15, 2019, at 6:06 AM, Shawn Heisey <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > On 7/15/2019 6:37 AM, Kaushal Shriyan wrote:
> >> Are there any recommended hardware requirements to host Apache Solr
> >> application? For example is it t2.large in AWS or similar configuration
> in
> >> GCP and Microsoft Azure.
> >> Thanks in advance and i look forward to hearing from you.
> >
> > This question is impossible to answer without significantly more
> information about exactly what Solr will be doing.  Even with additional
> information, all we can do is offer an educated guess.  That guess could
> turn out to be wrong.
> >
> >
> https://lucidworks.com/post/sizing-hardware-in-the-abstract-why-we-dont-have-a-definitive-answer/
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Shawn
>
>

--
http://www.needhamsoftware.com (work)
http://www.the111shift.com (play)