Highlighting Solr 8

Eric Allen

Use case

I am querying a catchall field and then would like to highlight that term in 3 other fields say a, b, and c.  I already have full term vectors.

From my reading and limited testing the fastest choice would be

hl.method unified

hl.termVectors true

hl.termPositions true

hl.termOffsets true

Does anyone know the Big O of the unified highlighter?

Can you use alternate fields with the unified highlighter, ex. Highlight field a, if there isn’t a match highlight the field in b and c.

I’m I going down the wrong path, I’m new to Solr, should I be doing something different?

Thanks!

Eric Allen

Software Developer, NetDocuments

2500 Executive Parkway, Suite 300

Lehi, Utah 84043

Office: 801.989.9697

C: 801.989.9691

[hidden email]

www.netdocuments.com

Re: Highlighting Solr 8

sasarun
Hi Eric,

Unified highlighter does not have an option to provide alternate field when
highlighting. That option is available with Orginal and fast vector
highlighter. As indicated in the Solr documentation, Unified is the
recommended method for highlighting to meet most of the use cases. Please do
share more details in case you are facing any specific issue with
highlighting.

Thanks,

Arun

Sent from: https://lucene.472066.n3.nabble.com/Solr-User-f472068.html

RE: Highlighting Solr 8

Eric Allen
Thanks for the reply.

Currently we are migrating from solr4 to solr8 under solr 4 we wrote our own highlighter because the provided one was too slow for our documents.

We deal with many large documents, but we have full term vectors already.  So as I understand it from my reading of the code the unified highlighter should be fast even on these large documents.

The concern about alternate fields was if the highlighter was slow we could just return highlights from one field if they existed and if not then highlight the other fields.

From my research I'm leaning towards returning highlights from all the fields we are interested in because I feel it will be fast.

Eric Allen - Software Devloper, NetDocuments
[hidden email] | O: 801.989.9691 | C: 801.989.9691