How to add a new field to already an existing index in Solr 6.6 ?

How to add a new field to already an existing index in Solr 6.6 ?

Vignan Malyala
How to add a new field to already an existing index in Solr 6.6 ?

I tried to use set for this, but it shows error as undefined field. But
however I could create a new index with set.
But, how to add new filed to already indexed data?
Is it possible?

Thank you!

Regards,
Sai

Re: How to add a new field to already an existing index in Solr 6.6 ?

Erick Erickson
Update your schema to include the new field and reload your collection.

Then updating your field should work.

Best,
Erick

> On Dec 3, 2019, at 4:40 AM, Vignan Malyala <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> How to add a new field to already an existing index in Solr 6.6 ?
>
> I tried to use set for this, but it shows error as undefined field. But
> however I could create a new index with set.
> But, how to add new filed to already indexed data?
> Is it possible?
>
> Thank you!
>
> Regards,
> Sai

Re: How to add a new field to already an existing index in Solr 6.6 ?

Vignan Malyala
How do I update my schema with new field?

On Tue, Dec 3, 2019 at 6:51 PM Erick Erickson <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Update your schema to include the new field and reload your collection.
>
> Then updating your field should work.
>
> Best,
> Erick
>
> > On Dec 3, 2019, at 4:40 AM, Vignan Malyala <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > How to add a new field to already an existing index in Solr 6.6 ?
> >
> > I tried to use set for this, but it shows error as undefined field. But
> > however I could create a new index with set.
> > But, how to add new filed to already indexed data?
> > Is it possible?
> >
> > Thank you!
> >
> > Regards,
> > Sai

Re: How to add a new field to already an existing index in Solr 6.6 ?

oandgtc
There is a few ways to add fields, adding the field definition in the
managed-schema will do this for you but make sure you have downloaded the
current config before you edit and reload the schema.

Google - solr 6.6 upconfig downconfig for lots of guides on this

On Tue, 3 Dec 2019, 13:21 Erick Erickson, <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Update your schema to include the new field and reload your collection.
>
> Then updating your field should work.
>
> Best,
> Erick
>
> > On Dec 3, 2019, at 4:40 AM, Vignan Malyala <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > How to add a new field to already an existing index in Solr 6.6 ?
> >
> > I tried to use set for this, but it shows error as undefined field. But
> > however I could create a new index with set.
> > But, how to add new filed to already indexed data?
> > Is it possible?
> >
> > Thank you!
> >
> > Regards,
> > Sai

Re: How to add a new field to already an existing index in Solr 6.6 ?

oandgtc
Also - look at adding fields using Solr admin, this will these will be
available to use  (I believe) without the need to restart and is very
easy to do.

On Sun, 8 Dec 2019, 13:03 David Barnett, <[hidden email]> wrote:

> There is a few ways to add fields, adding the field definition in the
> managed-schema will do this for you but make sure you have downloaded the
> current config before you edit and reload the schema.
>
> Google - solr 6.6 upconfig downconfig for lots of guides on this
>
> On Tue, 3 Dec 2019, 13:21 Erick Erickson, <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Update your schema to include the new field and reload your collection.
>>
>> Then updating your field should work.
>>
>> Best,
>> Erick
>>
>> > On Dec 3, 2019, at 4:40 AM, Vignan Malyala <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>> >
>> > How to add a new field to already an existing index in Solr 6.6 ?
>> >
>> > I tried to use set for this, but it shows error as undefined field. But
>> > however I could create a new index with set.
>> > But, how to add new filed to already indexed data?
>> > Is it possible?
>> >
>> > Thank you!
>> >
>> > Regards,
>> > Sai

Re: How to add a new field to already an existing index in Solr 6.6 ?

David Hastings
Or just do it the lazy way and use a dynamic field. I’ve found little to no drawbacks with them aside from a complete lack of documentation of the field in the schema itself