How to bound searches to specific domains?

How to bound searches to specific domains?

Evan Solley
Netopia operates a web hosting service for small web sites.

I am seeking a site search function that will enable searches of the small sites from which the search is initiated.  Perhaps the "small biz" equivalent of an "enterprise" search.  Or an open source, "we host" version of Google Search.

We could run lucene on the servers, or nutch from a companion server, to build the indeces.  I think I understand the pros and cons of each.

Having done so, is there a search engine more suitable for confining the scope or bounds of a search to the domain or locality of the query?

Thanks for any guidance you can supply.

Evan Solley
Netopia, Inc.