How to do relevancy ranking in lucene

DHIVYA M
Hi all,
Am using lucene 2.3.2.
When i search using lucene demo am getting all the results which contains the query. But i would like to restrict my results to the relevant match and not all the documents containing the query string.

Ex:
Query: how to search a string?

Response am getting is: all documents containing words - search, string

Desired response: I would like to compare the documents that contains both the words and the documents that contains anyone word of the query string - to find the relevant documents.

Kindly suggest me as how i should proceed and the details regarding this context.
Urgent help needed.

Thanks in advance for the timely help.
Dhivya

Re: How to do relevancy ranking in lucene

Erick Erickson
I don't really understand your goal here. Lucene already does this with
it's relevancy ranking. By definition, it calculates a score for each
document and ranks them in order of the score. This is NOT a simple
"is the word in the document or not"....

You can read about the scoring algorithm here:
http://lucene.apache.org/java/2_1_0/scoring.html

If this is way off base, can you give us some details of why
the current ranking doesn't fit your needs?

Best
Erick

On Thu, Dec 3, 2009 at 7:42 AM, DHIVYA M <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all,
> Am using lucene 2.3.2.
> When i search using lucene demo am getting all the results which contains
> the query. But i would like to restrict my results to the relevant match and
> not all the documents containing the query string.
>
> Ex:
> Query: how to search a string?
>
> Response am getting is: all documents containing words - search, string
>
> Desired response: I would like to compare the documents that contains both
> the words and the documents that contains anyone word of the query string -
> to find the relevant documents.
>
> Kindly suggest me as how i should proceed and the details regarding this
> context.
> Urgent help needed.
>
> Thanks in advance for the timely help.
> Dhivya
>

>      The INTERNET now has a personality. YOURS! See your Yahoo! Homepage.
> http://in.yahoo.com/

Re: How to do relevancy ranking in lucene

DHIVYA M
yes ofcourse but am a beginner in using lucene. So i couldnt find out where , in which part of the code is this ranking handled?

So kindly point me out the place or the code if possible

Thanks in advance,
Dhivya

I don't really understand your goal here. Lucene already does this with
it's relevancy ranking. By definition, it calculates a score for each
document and ranks them in order of the score. This is NOT a simple
"is the word in the document or not"....

You can read about the scoring algorithm here:
http://lucene.apache.org/java/2_1_0/scoring.html

If this is way off base, can you give us some details of why
the current ranking doesn't fit your needs?

Best
Erick

On Thu, Dec 3, 2009 at 7:42 AM, DHIVYA M <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all,
> Am using lucene 2.3.2.
> When i search using lucene demo am getting all the results which contains
> the query. But i would like to restrict my results to the relevant match and
> not all the documents containing the query string.
>
> Ex:
> Query: how to search a string?
>
> Response am getting is: all documents containing words - search, string
>
> Desired response: I would like to compare the documents that contains both
> the words and the documents that contains anyone word of the query string -
> to find the relevant documents.
>
> Kindly suggest me as how i should proceed and the details regarding this
> context.
> Urgent help needed.
>
> Thanks in advance for the timely help.
> Dhivya
>

>      The INTERNET now has a personality. YOURS! See your Yahoo! Homepage.
> http://in.yahoo.com/

Re: How to do relevancy ranking in lucene

Erick Erickson
Hmmm, I don't know the underlying scoring code well enough to answer
off the top of my head. But if you have the source code, I'd examine
the junit tests (the class names should give you a strong hint) and
start from there.

Best
Erick