How to handle plural?

Sengly Heng
Hello all,

I am facing a problem when dealing a query such as "Finding all the
documents that write about at least 5 animals"? How to handle it?

Do you have any idea?

Thank you.

Best regards,

Sengly

Re: How to handle plural?

Grant Ingersoll-2
What do your documents look like?  Can you share more about the
problem?  Is there some kind of structure that lets you count this
information?

-Grant

On Jun 15, 2008, at 5:08 AM, Sengly Heng wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I am facing a problem when dealing a query such as "Finding all the
> documents that write about at least 5 animals"? How to handle it?
>
> Do you have any idea?
>
> Thank you.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Sengly

--------------------------
Grant Ingersoll
http://www.lucidimagination.com

Lucene Helpful Hints:

Re: How to handle plural?

Sengly Heng
Hello,

Thanks for your interest. Actually, it's a normal unstructured text. In the
text, they might describe the number of animal or enumerate the kind of
animal one by one, etc. To me, it's very difficult to resolve this. I don't
have a clue until now.

All comments are VERY welcome.

Thanks.

Regards,

Sengly

On Mon, Jun 16, 2008 at 9:14 PM, Grant Ingersoll <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> What do your documents look like?  Can you share more about the problem?
>  Is there some kind of structure that lets you count this information?
>
> -Grant
>

> On Jun 15, 2008, at 5:08 AM, Sengly Heng wrote:
>
>  Hello all,
>>
>> I am facing a problem when dealing a query such as "Finding all the
>> documents that write about at least 5 animals"? How to handle it?
>>
>> Do you have any idea?
>>
>> Thank you.
>>
>> Best regards,
>>
>> Sengly
>>

> --------------------------
> Grant Ingersoll
> http://www.lucidimagination.com
>
> Lucene Helpful Hints:

Re: How to handle plural?

Grant Ingersoll-2
Really could use a sample sentence or two, maybe even a paragraph,
just to make sure I'm following you here.

However, this sounds like, to me anyway, as a job for some higher
order processing.  If I understand you right, you are asking for a
system that can reason about the types of things in the text.  That
is, you need to be able to identify the animals, as well as relate
that there is some language suggesting there is one or more of them.
If that is what you are talking about, the problem goes well beyond
Lucene.

If, on the other hand, you already have this structure overlaid on top
of the document, then it sounds like you just need to come up with the
proper field structure to allow you to write queries like 5 AND Zebra

-Grant