How to tell which core was used based on Json or XML response from Solr

How to tell which core was used based on Json or XML response from Solr

rhys J
I'm implementing an autocomplete search box for Solr.

I'm using JSON as my response style, and this is the jquery code.

 var url='http://10.40.10.14:8983/solr/'+core+'/select/?q='+queryField +

query+'&version=2.2&hl=true&start=0&rows=50&indent=on&wt=json&callback=?&json.wrf=on_data';

 jQuery_3_4_1.getJSON(url);

___

on_data(data)
{
 var docs = data.response.docs;
jQuery_3_4_1.each(docs, function(i, item) {

href="#" onclick=local_goto_dbtr(' + item.debtor_id + '); return true;"> '

trLink += '<td>' + item.name1 + '</td>';
trLink += '<td>' + item.dl1 + '</td>';
trLink += '</tr></div>';

jQuery_3_4_1('#resultsTable').prepend(jQuery_3_4_1(trLink));
});

}

the jQuery_3_4_1 variable is replacing $ because I needed to have 2
different versions of jQuery running in the same document.

I'd like to know if there's something I'm missing that will indicate which
core I've used in Solr based on the response.

Thanks,

Rhys

Re: How to tell which core was used based on Json or XML response from Solr

David Hastings
2 things (maybe 3):
1.  dont have this code facing a client thats not you, otherwise anyone
could view the source and see where the solr server is, which means they
can destroy your index or anything they want.  put at the very least a
simple api/front end in between the javascript page for the user and the
solr server
2. i dont think there is a way, you would be better off indexing an
indicator of sorts into your documents
3. the jquery in your example already has the core identified, not sure why
the receiving javascript wouldn't be able to read that variable unless im
missing something.

On Fri, Nov 22, 2019 at 1:27 PM rhys J <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'm implementing an autocomplete search box for Solr.
>
> I'm using JSON as my response style, and this is the jquery code.
>

>  var url='http://10.40.10.14:8983/solr/'+core+'/select/?q='+queryField +
>

> query+'&version=2.2&hl=true&start=0&rows=50&indent=on&wt=json&callback=?&json.wrf=on_data';
>
>  jQuery_3_4_1.getJSON(url);
>
> ___
>
> on_data(data)
> {
>  var docs = data.response.docs;
> jQuery_3_4_1.each(docs, function(i, item) {

> href="#" onclick=local_goto_dbtr(' + item.debtor_id + '); return true;"> '
>
> trLink += '<td>' + item.name1 + '</td>';
> trLink += '<td>' + item.dl1 + '</td>';
> trLink += '</tr></div>';
>
> jQuery_3_4_1('#resultsTable').prepend(jQuery_3_4_1(trLink));
> });
>
> }
>
> the jQuery_3_4_1 variable is replacing $ because I needed to have 2
> different versions of jQuery running in the same document.
>
> I'd like to know if there's something I'm missing that will indicate which
> core I've used in Solr based on the response.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Rhys

Re: How to tell which core was used based on Json or XML response from Solr

rhys J
On Fri, Nov 22, 2019 at 1:39 PM David Hastings <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> 2 things (maybe 3):
> 1.  dont have this code facing a client thats not you, otherwise anyone
> could view the source and see where the solr server is, which means they
> can destroy your index or anything they want.  put at the very least a
> simple api/front end in between the javascript page for the user and the
> solr server

Is there a way I can fix this?

> 2. i dont think there is a way, you would be better off indexing an
> indicator of sorts into your documents

Oh this is a good idea.

Thanks!

3. the jquery in your example already has the core identified, not sure why
> the receiving javascript wouldn't be able to read that variable unless im
> missing something.

There's another function on_data that is being called by the url, which
does not have any indication of what the core was, only the response from
the url.

Thanks,

Rhys

Re: How to tell which core was used based on Json or XML response from Solr

David Hastings
i personally dont like php, but it may just be the easiest way to do what
you need assuming you have a basic web server,
send your search query to php, and use $_GET or $_POST to read it into a
variable:
https://www.php.net/manual/en/reserved.variables.get.php

then send that to the solr server in the same piece of php with curl

https://phpenthusiast.com/blog/five-php-curl-examples

and return the raw result if you want.  at the very least it hides its url,
but with this you can block the solr port to outside ip's and only allow 80
or whatever your webserver is using

On Fri, Nov 22, 2019 at 1:43 PM rhys J <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 22, 2019 at 1:39 PM David Hastings <
> [hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > 2 things (maybe 3):
> > 1.  dont have this code facing a client thats not you, otherwise anyone
> > could view the source and see where the solr server is, which means they
> > can destroy your index or anything they want.  put at the very least a
> > simple api/front end in between the javascript page for the user and the
> > solr server
> >

> Is there a way I can fix this?
>

> > 2. i dont think there is a way, you would be better off indexing an
> > indicator of sorts into your documents
> >

> Oh this is a good idea.
>
> Thanks!
>
> 3. the jquery in your example already has the core identified, not sure why
> > the receiving javascript wouldn't be able to read that variable unless im
> > missing something.
> >

> There's another function on_data that is being called by the url, which
> does not have any indication of what the core was, only the response from
> the url.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Rhys

Re: How to tell which core was used based on Json or XML response from Solr

Paras Lehana
Hey rhys,

What David suggested is what we do for querying Solr. You can figure out
our frontend implementation of Auto-Suggest by seeing the AJAX requests
fired when you type in the search box on www.indiamart.com.

Why are you using two jQuery files? If you have a web server, you already
know that which core you queried from. Just convert the Solr JSON response
and add the key "core" and return the modified JSON response. Keep your
front-end query simple - just describe your query. All the other parameters
can be added on the web server side. Anyways, why do you want to know the
core name?

On Sat, 23 Nov 2019 at 00:23, David Hastings <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> i personally dont like php, but it may just be the easiest way to do what
> you need assuming you have a basic web server,
> send your search query to php, and use $_GET or $_POST to read it into a
> variable:
> https://www.php.net/manual/en/reserved.variables.get.php
>
> then send that to the solr server in the same piece of php with curl
>
> https://phpenthusiast.com/blog/five-php-curl-examples
>
> and return the raw result if you want.  at the very least it hides its url,
> but with this you can block the solr port to outside ip's and only allow 80
> or whatever your webserver is using
>

> On Fri, Nov 22, 2019 at 1:43 PM rhys J <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > On Fri, Nov 22, 2019 at 1:39 PM David Hastings <
> > [hidden email]>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > 2 things (maybe 3):
> > > 1.  dont have this code facing a client thats not you, otherwise anyone
> > > could view the source and see where the solr server is, which means
> they
> > > can destroy your index or anything they want.  put at the very least a
> > > simple api/front end in between the javascript page for the user and
> the
> > > solr server
> > >

> > Is there a way I can fix this?
> >

> > > 2. i dont think there is a way, you would be better off indexing an
> > > indicator of sorts into your documents
> > >

> > Oh this is a good idea.
> >
> > Thanks!
> >
> > 3. the jquery in your example already has the core identified, not sure
> why
> > > the receiving javascript wouldn't be able to read that variable unless
> im
> > > missing something.
> > >

> > There's another function on_data that is being called by the url, which
> > does not have any indication of what the core was, only the response from
> > the url.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Rhys

*Paras Lehana* [65871]
Development Engineer, Auto-Suggest,
IndiaMART Intermesh Ltd.

8th Floor, Tower A, Advant-Navis Business Park, Sector 142,
Noida, UP, IN - 201303

Mob.: +91-9560911996
Work: 01203916600 | Extn:  *8173*

IMPORTANT:
NEVER share your IndiaMART OTP/ Password with anyone.

Re: How to tell which core was used based on Json or XML response from Solr

Erik Hatcher-4
add &core=<core>&echoParams=all and the parameter will be in the response header.

   Erik

> On Nov 22, 2019, at 13:27, rhys J <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I'm implementing an autocomplete search box for Solr.
>
> I'm using JSON as my response style, and this is the jquery code.
>

> var url='http://10.40.10.14:8983/solr/'+core+'/select/?q='+queryField +
>
> query+'&version=2.2&hl=true&start=0&rows=50&indent=on&wt=json&callback=?&json.wrf=on_data';
>
> jQuery_3_4_1.getJSON(url);
>
> ___
>
> on_data(data)
> {
> var docs = data.response.docs;
> jQuery_3_4_1.each(docs, function(i, item) {

> href="#" onclick=local_goto_dbtr(' + item.debtor_id + '); return true;"> '
>
> trLink += '<td>' + item.name1 + '</td>';
> trLink += '<td>' + item.dl1 + '</td>';
> trLink += '</tr></div>';
>
> jQuery_3_4_1('#resultsTable').prepend(jQuery_3_4_1(trLink));
> });
>
> }
>
> the jQuery_3_4_1 variable is replacing $ because I needed to have 2
> different versions of jQuery running in the same document.
>
> I'd like to know if there's something I'm missing that will indicate which
> core I've used in Solr based on the response.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Rhys

Re: How to tell which core was used based on Json or XML response from Solr

Christian Spitzlay
Hi rhys,

if you are taking the PHP route for the mentioned server part then I would suggest
using a client library, not plain curl.  There is solarium, for instance:

https://solarium.readthedocs.io/en/stable/
https://github.com/solariumphp/solarium

It can use curl under the hood but you can program your stuff on a higher level,
against an API.

Christian

> Am 25.11.2019 um 07:09 schrieb Paras Lehana <[hidden email]>:
>
> Hey rhys,
>
> What David suggested is what we do for querying Solr. You can figure out
> our frontend implementation of Auto-Suggest by seeing the AJAX requests
> fired when you type in the search box on www.indiamart.com.
>
> Why are you using two jQuery files? If you have a web server, you already
> know that which core you queried from. Just convert the Solr JSON response
> and add the key "core" and return the modified JSON response. Keep your
> front-end query simple - just describe your query. All the other parameters
> can be added on the web server side. Anyways, why do you want to know the
> core name?
>
> On Sat, 23 Nov 2019 at 00:23, David Hastings <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> i personally dont like php, but it may just be the easiest way to do what
>> you need assuming you have a basic web server,
>> send your search query to php, and use $_GET or $_POST to read it into a
>> variable:
>> https://www.php.net/manual/en/reserved.variables.get.php
>>
>> then send that to the solr server in the same piece of php with curl
>>
>> https://phpenthusiast.com/blog/five-php-curl-examples
>>
>> and return the raw result if you want.  at the very least it hides its url,
>> but with this you can block the solr port to outside ip's and only allow 80
>> or whatever your webserver is using
>>

>> On Fri, Nov 22, 2019 at 1:43 PM rhys J <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> On Fri, Nov 22, 2019 at 1:39 PM David Hastings <
>>> [hidden email]>

>> they
>> the
>>>>

>>> Is there a way I can fix this?

>>> Oh this is a good idea.
>>>
>>> Thanks!
>>>
>>> 3. the jquery in your example already has the core identified, not sure
>> why
>> im
>>>>

>>> There's another function on_data that is being called by the url, which
>>> does not have any indication of what the core was, only the response from
>>> the url.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> Rhys

> Regards,
>
> *Paras Lehana* [65871]
> Development Engineer, Auto-Suggest,
> IndiaMART Intermesh Ltd.
>
> 8th Floor, Tower A, Advant-Navis Business Park, Sector 142,
> Noida, UP, IN - 201303
>
> Mob.: +91-9560911996
> Work: 01203916600 | Extn:  *8173*
>
> --
> IMPORTANT:
> NEVER share your IndiaMART OTP/ Password with anyone.

--

Christian Spitzlay
Senior Software-Entwickler

bio.logis Genetic Information Management GmbH
Zentrale:
Olof-Palme-Str. 15
D-60439 Frankfurt am Main

T: +49 69 348 739 116
[hidden email]
biologis.com

Geschäftsführung: Prof. Dr. med. Daniela Steinberger
Firmensitz:  Altenhöferallee 3, 60438 Frankfurt am Main
Registergericht Frankfurt am Main, HRB 97945

On Mon, Nov 25, 2019 at 2:10 AM Erik Hatcher <[hidden email]> wrote:

> add &core=<core>&echoParams=all and the parameter will be in the response
> header.
>
>    Erik

Thanks. I just tried this, and all I got was this response:

http://localhost:8983/solr/dbtr/select?q=debtor_id%3A%20393291&echoParams=all
<http://10.40.10.14:8983/solr/dbtr/select?q=debtor_id%3A%20393291&echoParams=all>

{
  "responseHeader":{
    "status":0,
    "QTime":14,
    "params":{
      "q":"debtor_id: 393291",
      "df":"_text_",
      "rows":"10",
      "echoParams":"all"}},
  "response":{"numFound":1,"start":0,"docs":[
      {

Rhys

Re: How to tell which core was used based on Json or XML response from Solr

rhys J
> if you are taking the PHP route for the mentioned server part then I would
> suggest
> using a client library, not plain curl.  There is solarium, for instance:
>
> https://solarium.readthedocs.io/en/stable/
> https://github.com/solariumphp/solarium
>
> It can use curl under the hood but you can program your stuff on a higher
> level,
> against an API.

I am using jquery, so I am using the json package to send and decode the
json that solr sends. I hope that makes sense?

Thanks for your tip!

Our pages are a combo of jquery, javascript, and perl.

Re: How to tell which core was used based on Json or XML response from Solr

rhys J
On Mon, Nov 25, 2019 at 1:10 AM Paras Lehana <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hey rhys,
>
> What David suggested is what we do for querying Solr. You can figure out
> our frontend implementation of Auto-Suggest by seeing the AJAX requests
> fired when you type in the search box on www.indiamart.com.

 That is pretty cool.

I've ended up with something that highlights the match in a results table.
It's working, and the client seems happy with that implementation for now.

> Why are you using two jQuery files? If you have a web server, you already
> know that which core you queried from. Just convert the Solr JSON response
> and add the key "core" and return the modified JSON response. Keep your
> front-end query simple - just describe your query. All the other parameters

We are using 2 jquery versions, because this tool is running a tool that
has an old version of jquery attached to it. Because of that, I'm doing the
trick where you can load 2 different versions at the same time.

> can be added on the web server side. Anyways, why do you want to know the
> core name?

I need to know the core name, because each core has different values in the
documents, and I want to display those values based on which core was
queried.

This is kind of like an omnibox, where the user will just start typing
stuff into it. Based on what is typed, I will search a different core to
provide the right answer to them.

Thanks,

Rhys

Re: How to tell which core was used based on Json or XML response from Solr

David Hastings
you missed the part about adding &core= to the query:
&echoParams=all&core=mega

returns for me:

 "responseHeader":{
    "status":0,
    "QTime":0,
    "params":{
      "q":"*:*",
      "core":"mega",
      "df":"text",
      "q.op":"AND",
      "rows":"10",
      "echoParams":"all"}},

also we are a perl shop as well, you could implement something as
simple as this in a cgi script or something:

my $url = $searcher;
        my $agent = new LWP::UserAgent;
        my $request = POST($url, $data);
        my $response = $agent->request($request)->decoded_content;

On Mon, Nov 25, 2019 at 10:37 AM rhys J <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 25, 2019 at 1:10 AM Paras Lehana <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > Hey rhys,
> >
> > What David suggested is what we do for querying Solr. You can figure out
> > our frontend implementation of Auto-Suggest by seeing the AJAX requests
> > fired when you type in the search box on www.indiamart.com.
> >

>  That is pretty cool.
>
> I've ended up with something that highlights the match in a results table.
> It's working, and the client seems happy with that implementation for now.
>

> > Why are you using two jQuery files? If you have a web server, you already
> > know that which core you queried from. Just convert the Solr JSON
> response
> > and add the key "core" and return the modified JSON response. Keep your
> > front-end query simple - just describe your query. All the other
> parameters
> >

> We are using 2 jquery versions, because this tool is running a tool that
> has an old version of jquery attached to it. Because of that, I'm doing the
> trick where you can load 2 different versions at the same time.
>

> > can be added on the web server side. Anyways, why do you want to know the
> > core name?
> >

> I need to know the core name, because each core has different values in the
> documents, and I want to display those values based on which core was
> queried.
>
> This is kind of like an omnibox, where the user will just start typing
> stuff into it. Based on what is typed, I will search a different core to
> provide the right answer to them.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Rhys

Re: How to tell which core was used based on Json or XML response from Solr

Shawn Heisey-2
On 11/25/2019 8:30 AM, rhys J wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 25, 2019 at 2:10 AM Erik Hatcher <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> add &core=<core>&echoParams=all and the parameter will be in the response
>> header.
>>
>>     Erik
>>

> Thanks. I just tried this, and all I got was this response:
>
> http://localhost:8983/solr/dbtr/select?q=debtor_id%3A%20393291&echoParams=all

What you sent just adds the echoParams parameter.  You must also include
another parameter (one that Solr does not know) set to the core name --
which will then be returned by echoParams.  The example mentioned by
Erik used a parameter named "core" which is unknown to Solr.

Thanks,
Shawn

Re: How to tell which core was used based on Json or XML response from Solr

rhys J
On Mon, Nov 25, 2019 at 10:43 AM David Hastings <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> you missed the part about adding &core= to the query:
> &echoParams=all&core=mega
>
> returns for me:
>
>  "responseHeader":{
>     "status":0,
>     "QTime":0,
>     "params":{
>       "q":"*:*",
>       "core":"mega",
>       "df":"text",
>       "q.op":"AND",
>       "rows":"10",
>       "echoParams":"all"}},

You're right, I missed that. I added it, and it works perfectly.

> also we are a perl shop as well, you could implement something as
> simple as this in a cgi script or something:
>

> my $url = $searcher;
>         my $agent = new LWP::UserAgent;
>         my $request = POST($url, $data);
>         my $response = $agent->request($request)->decoded_content;

Thanks for this tip.

Rhys

Re: How to tell which core was used based on Json or XML response from Solr

Christian Spitzlay
I was referring to David Hastings' suggestion of shielding solr from direct access
which is something I strongly agree with.

If you're not going with a PHP-based server-side application
as to not expose your solr directly to the javascript application (and thus to possible
manipulation by an end user) then you obviously won't need solarium.

As Paras Lehana said:
"Keep your front-end query simple - just describe your query. All the other parameters
can be added on the web server side."

... that could then be implemented in your Perl code.

Christian

> Am 25.11.2019 um 16:32 schrieb rhys J <[hidden email]>:
>
>> if you are taking the PHP route for the mentioned server part then I would
>> suggest
>> using a client library, not plain curl.  There is solarium, for instance:
>>
>> https://solarium.readthedocs.io/en/stable/
>> https://github.com/solariumphp/solarium
>>
>> It can use curl under the hood but you can program your stuff on a higher
>> level,
>> against an API.
>>

> I am using jquery, so I am using the json package to send and decode the
> json that solr sends. I hope that makes sense?
>
> Thanks for your tip!
>
> Our pages are a combo of jquery, javascript, and perl.

--

Christian Spitzlay
Senior Software-Entwickler

bio.logis Genetic Information Management GmbH
Zentrale:
Olof-Palme-Str. 15
D-60439 Frankfurt am Main

T: +49 69 348 739 116
[hidden email]
biologis.com

Geschäftsführung: Prof. Dr. med. Daniela Steinberger
Firmensitz:  Altenhöferallee 3, 60438 Frankfurt am Main
Registergericht Frankfurt am Main, HRB 97945

Re: How to tell which core was used based on Json or XML response from Solr

Paras Lehana
Hey Rhys,

We are using 2 jquery versions, because this tool is running a tool that
> has an old version of jquery attached to it.

Umm, okay, if you cannot tweak the tool to use the latest jQuery, I assume
you have used noConflict to handle different versions.

 I need to know the core name, because each core has different values in
> the documents, and I want to display those values based on which core was
> queried.

You use +core+ in your url. I thought you already knew the core name you
queried from so you can use that name in the response as well. Anyways,
echoParams will also do your job. That's actually a nice idea I can also
use! Besides this, I strongly recommend you not to expose solr params or IP
- just deploy a simple layer in between (different port on same server). If
you use perl, build solr query only in the script.