Index time boost is not working

Madhan Subhas
I am using solr in my rails application. When I create the document that
need to be stored in Solr I can see the boost values being set on the
fields as attributes. However when I browse the indexes through luke I
see a boost value of 1. What am I missing. Thanks for your input.

-Madhan

Re: Index time boost is not working

Otis Gospodnetic-2
Is your field defined with omitNorms="true" by any chance?

Otis
--
Lucene Consulting -- http://lucene-consulting.com/

Re: Index time boost is not working

Thierry Collogne
How do you browse the indexes?

On 14/06/07, Otis Gospodnetic <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Is your field defined with omitNorms="true" by any chance?
>
> Otis
> --
> Lucene Consulting -- http://lucene-consulting.com/

Check your schema.xml, that's where you'll see how the field is defined.

Otis

On 14/06/07, Otis Gospodnetic <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Is your field defined with omitNorms="true" by any chance?
>
> Otis
> --
> Lucene Consulting -- http://lucene-consulting.com/

Otis, here is the setting in the schema for the fields I use. OmitNorms
is not set to any value here. Should explicitly set the value to false.
Thanks
Madhan

<fields>
   <field name="id" type="string" indexed="true" stored="true"/>
   <field name="default" type="text" indexed="true" stored="false"
multiValued="true"/>
   <dynamicField name="*_i" type="integer" indexed="true"
stored="true"/>
   <dynamicField name="*_t" type="text" indexed="true" stored="true"/>
   <dynamicField name="*_f" type="float" indexed="true" stored="true"/>
   <dynamicField name="*_b" type="boolean" indexed="true"
stored="true"/>
   <dynamicField name="*_d" type="date" indexed="true" stored="true"/>
   <dynamicField name="*_s" type="string" indexed="true" stored="true"/>
   <dynamicField name="*_ri" type="sint" indexed="true" stored="true"/>
   <dynamicField name="*_rf" type="sfloat" indexed="true"
stored="true"/>
   <dynamicField name="*_facet" type="string" indexed="true"
stored="true"/>
 </fields>

Check your schema.xml, that's where you'll see how the field is defined.

Otis

On 14/06/07, Otis Gospodnetic <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Is your field defined with omitNorms="true" by any chance?
>
> Otis
> --
> Lucene Consulting -- http://lucene-consulting.com/

Using a lucene tool for Luke. Here is the link:
http://www.getopt.org/luke/
-Madhan

On 14/06/07, Otis Gospodnetic <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Is your field defined with omitNorms="true" by any chance?
>
> Otis
> --
> Lucene Consulting -- http://lucene-consulting.com/

Chris Hostetter-3
:
: Otis, here is the setting in the schema for the fields I use. OmitNorms
: is not set to any value here. Should explicitly set the value to false.

bear in mind, fields inherit the omitNorms value from their fieldtype if
they don't specify explicitly, so check that too.

: > need to be stored in Solr I can see the boost values being set on the
: > fields as attributes. However when I browse the indexes through luke I
: > see a boost value of 1. What am I missing. Thanks for your input.

i don't have a lot of first hand experience with Luke, but i'm suprised
that Luke would show you the "boost value" of a field -- since boost
value's aren't stored in the index, they are used to compute a "fieldNorm"
(which takes into account the length of the field as well)

-Hoss