IndexReader.FieldOptions

pgwillia
Hi,

   I'm wondering why Stored isn't one of the IndexReader.FieldOption(s)?
Stored is created at the same time and place as the other options
(FieldOption.INDEXED and FieldOption.TERMVECTOR) so it doesn't make sense
that it isn't retrieved in the same way.

Tricia

Re: IndexReader.FieldOptions

Erick Erickson
OK, I'm working from memory here, so....
Indexed is orthogonal to stored. Stored fields aren't in necessarily the
index (that is, serachable fields), but are associated with the document.
Stored fields are accessible through the document interface instead, see the
the methods on Fieldable.

Erick

On 3/3/07, Tricia Williams <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
>   I'm wondering why Stored isn't one of the IndexReader.FieldOption(s)?
> Stored is created at the same time and place as the other options
> (FieldOption.INDEXED and FieldOption.TERMVECTOR) so it doesn't make sense
> that it isn't retrieved in the same way.
>
> Tricia

Re: IndexReader.FieldOptions

Chris Hostetter-3

: Indexed is orthogonal to stored. Stored fields aren't in necessarily the
: index (that is, serachable fields), but are associated with the document.
: Stored fields are accessible through the document interface instead, see the
: the methods on Fieldable.

all true, but slightly orthoginal i believe to the heart of hte issue ...
things like "INDEXED" and "TERMVECTOR" are expressable both in terms of
IndexReader.FieldOption instances and in terms of
Field.Index/Field.TermVector instances ... but there is no FieldOption
equivilent to the Field.Store instances -- the reason comes up because of
the intended usage.

FieldOptions instances come into play when calling
IndexReader.getFieldNames, the Field.Stoe/Field.Index/Field.TermVector
options come into play when adding a document

if i recall correctly, termvector-ness and index-ness affect the entire
segment, while stored-ness only affects the individual documents ... so
there is a need to know what field names have termvectors across an entire
indexreader -- but it doesn't really matter what fields are stored.