Installing Hadoop on Debian Squeeze

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Installing Hadoop on Debian Squeeze

Dieter Plaetinck
Hi,
I see there are various posts claiming hadoop is available through official debian mirrors (for debian squeeze, i.e. stable):
* http://www.debian-news.net/2010/07/17/apache-hadoop-in-debian-squeeze/
* http://blog.isabel-drost.de/index.php/archives/213/apache-hadoop-in-debian-squeeze

However, it seems this is not (no longer?) the case:
http://packages.debian.org/search?keywords=hadoop <- the packages are only in unstable?
(I can easily verify this, my debian squeeze box does not find the packages, even after updating)

What happened? I couldn't find any info on whether the packages were removed from squeeze.

I also tried using the Cloudera repository.
Note that the official installation document does not list instructions for Debian, only Ubuntu, Suse and RH.
( see https://docs.cloudera.com/display/DOC/CDH3+Installation)
In fact it seems Debian is not supported at all:
https://docs.cloudera.com/display/DOC/Before+You+Install+CDH3+on+a+Cluster

Just for the heck of it, I tried following the Ubuntu instructions, which failed as well.
(the cloudera repository does not have squeeze packages).
FWIW:

# lsb_release -c        
Codename: squeeze
# echo 'deb http://archive.cloudera.com/debian squeeze-cdh3 contrib' >> /etc/apt/sources.list.d/cloudera.list
# echo 'deb-src http://archive.cloudera.com/debian squeeze-cdh3 contrib' >> /etc/apt/sources.list.d/cloudera.list
# curl -s http://archive.cloudera.com/debian/archive.key | apt-key add -
OK
# aptitude update
(...)
Hit http://ftp.belnet.be squeeze Release
Err http://archive.cloudera.com squeeze-cdh3/contrib Sources                                          
  404  Not Found
Err http://archive.cloudera.com squeeze-cdh3/contrib i386 Packages                                    
  404  Not Found
Get:6 http://ftp.belnet.be squeeze-updates Release [41.8 kB]
(...)
Fetched 150 kB in 5s (28.7 kB/s)

# aptitude search hadoop
#


So, what's the best way to install Hadoop on Debian Squeeze?

Thanks,
Dieter
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Installing Hadoop on Debian Squeeze

IsabelDrost
On Tue, 15 Mar 11 Dieter Plaetinck wrote:
> What happened? I couldn't find any info on whether the packages were
> removed from squeeze.

http://packages.qa.debian.org/h/hadoop.html says:

"The current maintainer is looking for someone who can help with the
maintenance of this package. If you are interested in this package,
please consider helping out."

I am sure that Thomas Koch who might still hang around on this list is
happy to add more context.

 
> So, what's the best way to install Hadoop on Debian Squeeze?

You can either go for the Apache distribution, which works just fine
but does not come as a deb package. Or you can decide to head over to
Debian and help with the final packaging efforts.


Isabel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Installing Hadoop on Debian Squeeze

Thomas Koch
In reply to this post by Dieter Plaetinck
Dieter Plaetinck:

> Hi,
> I see there are various posts claiming hadoop is available through official
> debian mirrors (for debian squeeze, i.e. stable): *
> http://www.debian-news.net/2010/07/17/apache-hadoop-in-debian-squeeze/ *
> http://blog.isabel-drost.de/index.php/archives/213/apache-hadoop-in-debian
> -squeeze
>
> However, it seems this is not (no longer?) the case:
> http://packages.debian.org/search?keywords=hadoop <- the packages are only
> in unstable? (I can easily verify this, my debian squeeze box does not
> find the packages, even after updating)
>
> What happened? I couldn't find any info on whether the packages were
> removed from squeeze.
>
> I also tried using the Cloudera repository.
> Note that the official installation document does not list instructions for
> Debian, only Ubuntu, Suse and RH. ( see
> https://docs.cloudera.com/display/DOC/CDH3+Installation)
> In fact it seems Debian is not supported at all:
> https://docs.cloudera.com/display/DOC/Before+You+Install+CDH3+on+a+Cluster
>
> Just for the heck of it, I tried following the Ubuntu instructions, which
> failed as well. (the cloudera repository does not have squeeze packages).
> FWIW:
>
> # lsb_release -c
> Codename: squeeze
> # echo 'deb http://archive.cloudera.com/debian squeeze-cdh3 contrib' >>
> /etc/apt/sources.list.d/cloudera.list # echo 'deb-src
> http://archive.cloudera.com/debian squeeze-cdh3 contrib' >>
> /etc/apt/sources.list.d/cloudera.list # curl -s
> http://archive.cloudera.com/debian/archive.key | apt-key add - OK
> # aptitude update
> (...)
> Hit http://ftp.belnet.be squeeze Release
> Err http://archive.cloudera.com squeeze-cdh3/contrib Sources
>   404  Not Found
> Err http://archive.cloudera.com squeeze-cdh3/contrib i386 Packages
>   404  Not Found
> Get:6 http://ftp.belnet.be squeeze-updates Release [41.8 kB]
> (...)
> Fetched 150 kB in 5s (28.7 kB/s)
>
> # aptitude search hadoop
> #
>
>
> So, what's the best way to install Hadoop on Debian Squeeze?
>
> Thanks,
> Dieter
Hi Dieter,

thank you for your interest in "official" Debian packages. I'm the maintainer
of HBase, Hadoop and ZooKeeper in Debian. I started these packaging efforts as
part of my last employment which I did quit last month. I'm back to university
for the next month and don't know yet, whether I'll want to continue working
with Hadoop or do something else.
Therefor the packages are unfortunately highly neglected since some months and
I wanted to discus their future after my last exam next saturday.

Currently my advise is to use the Debian packages from cloudera.

Best regards,

Thomas Koch, http://www.koch.ro
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Installing Hadoop on Debian Squeeze

Dieter Plaetinck
On Thu, 17 Mar 2011 19:33:02 +0100
Thomas Koch <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Currently my advise is to use the Debian packages from cloudera.

That's the problem, it appears there are none.
Like I said in my earlier mail, Debian is not in Cloudera's list of
supported distros, and they do not have a repository for Debian
packages. (I tried the ubuntu repository but that didn't work)

I now have installed it by just downloading and extracting the
tarball, it seems that's basically all that is needed.


Dieter
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Installing Hadoop on Debian Squeeze

Steve Loughran
On 21/03/11 09:00, Dieter Plaetinck wrote:

> On Thu, 17 Mar 2011 19:33:02 +0100
> Thomas Koch<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>
>> Currently my advise is to use the Debian packages from cloudera.
>
> That's the problem, it appears there are none.
> Like I said in my earlier mail, Debian is not in Cloudera's list of
> supported distros, and they do not have a repository for Debian
> packages. (I tried the ubuntu repository but that didn't work)
>
> I now have installed it by just downloading and extracting the
> tarball, it seems that's basically all that is needed.
>
>
> Dieter

There's an open JIRA on having Apache release its own Hadoop RPMs,
pushing out debian JIRAs would go alongside this, but that requires on
someone else to volunteer the work...