Is Sphinx better suited to me, or should I look at Solr?

Is Sphinx better suited to me, or should I look at Solr?

Spadez
I am creating what is effectively a search engine. Content is collected via spiders at
then is inserted into my database and becomes searchable and filterable.

I invision there being around 90K records to be searched at any one time. The content is
blog posts and forum posts so we are basically looking at full text with some additional
filters based on location, category and date posted.

What is really important to me is speed and relevancy. The index size or index time
really isn’t too big of an issue. From the benchmarks I have seen it looks like Sphinx
is much faster at querying data and showing results, but that Solr has improved relevancy.

My website is coded entirely in PHP and I am planning on using a MYSQL database. Can
anyone please give me a bit of input and help me decide which product might be better
suited to me.

Regards,

James
Em

Re: Is Sphinx better suited to me, or should I look at Solr?

Em
Hi James,

I can not speak for Sphinx, since I never used it.
However, from reading your requirements there is nothing that fears Solr.

Although Sphinx is written in C++, running Solr on top of a HotSpot JVM
gives you high performance. Furthermore the HotSpot JVM is optimizing
your code at runtime which sometimes allows long-running applications to
run as fast as software written in C++ (and sometimes even faster).

Given that Solr is pretty fast and scalable (90k docs are a really small
index), you should have a closer look at the features each search-server
provides to you and how they suit your needs.

You should always keep in mind that users will gladly wait a few
milliseconds longer for their highly-relevant search-results, but do not
care about a blazing fast 5ms response-time for a collection of
trash-results.
So try to find out what your concrete needs in terms of relevancy are
and which search-server provides you the tools to go.
I am pretty sure that both projects provide you php-client-libraries
etc. for indexing and searching (Solr does).

Kind regards,
Em

Am 20.02.2012 16:20, schrieb Spadez:

> I am creating what is effectively a search engine. Content is collected via
> spiders at
> then is inserted into my database and becomes searchable and filterable.
>
> I invision there being around 90K records to be searched at any one time.
> The content is
> blog posts and forum posts so we are basically looking at full text with
> some additional
> filters based on location, category and date posted.
>
> What is really important to me is speed and relevancy. The index size or
> index time
> really isn’t too big of an issue. From the benchmarks I have seen it looks
> like Sphinx
> is much faster at querying data and showing results, but that Solr has
> improved relevancy.
>
> My website is coded entirely in PHP and I am planning on using a MYSQL
> database. Can
> anyone please give me a bit of input and help me decide which product might
> be better
> suited to me.
>
> Regards,
>
> James

Re: Is Sphinx better suited to me, or should I look at Solr?

Damien Camilleri
I gave up on sphinx and went to solr. I feel it is more mature. For example, sphinx didn't have an auto start init script and they tried to hit me up for consultancy fees cos I asked a simple question.

I use php and use solarium php client. Nice oop interface.

Solr has a great community. My initial struggles were with getting it running, mostly because I don't know much about tomcat and it didn't just work for me as documented, but once i stumbled through it was ok.

My search results accross 200k documents is instant on a small 512mb rackspacecloud instance so you will have no probs at all using solr for your needs.

Sent from my iPhone