Java 9

Petersen, Robert (Contr)
Hi Guys,

Anyone else been noticing this this msg when starting up solr with java 9? (This is just an FYI and not a real question)

Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM warning: Option UseConcMarkSweepGC was deprecated in version 9.0 and will likely be removed in a future release.
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM warning: Option UseParNewGC was deprecated in version 9.0 and will likely be removed in a future release.

Robi

________________________________

This communication is confidential. Frontier only sends and receives email on the basis of the terms set out at http://www.frontier.com/email_disclaimer.

Re: Java 9

Chris Hostetter-3

: Anyone else been noticing this this msg when starting up solr with java 9? (This is just an FYI and not a real question)

: Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM warning: Option UseConcMarkSweepGC was deprecated in version 9.0 and will likely be removed in a future release.
: Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM warning: Option UseParNewGC was deprecated in version 9.0 and will likely be removed in a future release.

IIRC the default GC_TUNE options for Solr still assume java8, but also
work fine with java9 -- although they do cause those deprecation warnings
and result in using the JVM defaults

You are free to customize this in your solr.in.sh if you are running java9 and
don't like the deprecation warnings ... and/or open a Jira w/suggestions
for what Solr's default GC_TUNE option should be when running in java9 (i
don't know if there is any community concensus on that yet -- but you're
welcome to try and build some)

-Hoss
http://www.lucidworks.com/

-Hoss
http://www.lucidworks.com/

Re: Java 9

Shawn Heisey-2
On 11/6/2017 3:07 PM, Petersen, Robert (Contr) wrote:
> Anyone else been noticing this this msg when starting up solr with java 9? (This is just an FYI and not a real question)
>
> Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM warning: Option UseConcMarkSweepGC was deprecated in version 9.0 and will likely be removed in a future release.
> Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM warning: Option UseParNewGC was deprecated in version 9.0 and will likely be removed in a future release.

I have not tried Java 9 yet.

Looks like G1 is now the default garbage collector.  I did not know that
they were deprecating CMS and ParNew ... that's a little surprising.
Solr's default garbage collection tuning uses those two collectors.  It
is likely that those choices will be available in all versions of Java
9.  It would be very uncharacteristic for Oracle to take action on
removing them until version 10, possibly later.

If it were solely up to me, I would adjust Solr's startup script to use
the G1 collector by default, eliminating the warnings you're seeing.
It's not just up to me though.  Lucene documentation says to NEVER use
the G1 collector because they believe it to be unpredictable and have
the potential to cause problems.  I personally have never had any issues
with it.  There is *one* Lucene issue mentioning problems with G1GC, and
that issue is *specific* to the 32-bit JVM, which is not recommended
because of the limited amount of memory it can use.

My experiments with GC tuning show the G1 collector (now default in Java
9) to have very good characteristics with Solr.  I have a personal page
on the Solr wiki that covers those experiments.

https://wiki.apache.org/solr/ShawnHeisey

Thanks,
Shawn

Re: Java 9

Petersen, Robert (Contr)
Actually I can't believe they're depricating UseConcMarkSweepGC , That was the one that finally made solr 'sing' with no OOMs!

I guess they must have found something better, have to look into that...

Robi

________________________________

This communication is confidential. Frontier only sends and receives email on the basis of the terms set out at http://www.frontier.com/email_disclaimer.

RE: Java 9

Markus Jelsma-2
Shawn,

There won't be a Java 10, we'll get Java 18.3 instead. After 9 it is a guess when CMS and friends are gone.

Regards,
Markus

> On 11/6/2017 3:07 PM, Petersen, Robert (Contr) wrote:
> > Anyone else been noticing this this msg when starting up solr with java 9? (This is just an FYI and not a real question)
> >
> > Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM warning: Option UseConcMarkSweepGC was deprecated in version 9.0 and will likely be removed in a future release.
> > Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM warning: Option UseParNewGC was deprecated in version 9.0 and will likely be removed in a future release.
>
> I have not tried Java 9 yet.
>
> Looks like G1 is now the default garbage collector.  I did not know that
> they were deprecating CMS and ParNew ... that's a little surprising.
> Solr's default garbage collection tuning uses those two collectors.  It
> is likely that those choices will be available in all versions of Java
> 9.  It would be very uncharacteristic for Oracle to take action on
> removing them until version 10, possibly later.
>
> If it were solely up to me, I would adjust Solr's startup script to use
> the G1 collector by default, eliminating the warnings you're seeing.
> It's not just up to me though.  Lucene documentation says to NEVER use
> the G1 collector because they believe it to be unpredictable and have
> the potential to cause problems.  I personally have never had any issues
> with it.  There is *one* Lucene issue mentioning problems with G1GC, and
> that issue is *specific* to the 32-bit JVM, which is not recommended
> because of the limited amount of memory it can use.
>
> My experiments with GC tuning show the G1 collector (now default in Java
> 9) to have very good characteristics with Solr.  I have a personal page
> on the Solr wiki that covers those experiments.
>
> https://wiki.apache.org/solr/ShawnHeisey
>
> Thanks,
> Shawn

Re: Java 9

Daniel Collins
Oh, blimey, have Oracle gone with Ubuntu-style numbering now? :)

On 7 November 2017 at 08:27, Markus Jelsma <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Shawn,
>
> There won't be a Java 10, we'll get Java 18.3 instead. After 9 it is a
> guess when CMS and friends are gone.
>
> Regards,
> Markus

Re: Java 9

kamaci
Hi,

Here is an explanation about deprecation of
https://docs.oracle.com/javase/9/gctuning/concurrent-mark-sweep-cms-collector.htm

Kind Regards,
Furkan KAMACI