Less aggressive stemmer?

Jason Rennie-2
Is there an option to perform less aggressive stemming in solr?  We're using
the Porter stemmer.  I see that there is an option for Snowball, but my
understanding is that Snowball is a refinement of Porter rather than
something radically different.  I think we'd be best off with something very
basic, possibly as simple as removing plural endings.  Our index is over
product descriptions, so it's important that we stem normal variations in
nouns, but adverbs, verbs and possibly adjective variations are not so
important and sometimes cause problems for us.

Jason

Re: Less aggressive stemmer?

Guillaume Smet

See this thread: http://markmail.org/message/mypn4gilaaz2ooqx and
especially this post: http://markmail.org/message/ifivmev3kmihre3t .

Guillaume

Re: Less aggressive stemmer?

Jason Rennie-2
Kevin & Guillaume,

Many thanks for the pointers.  It sounds like one of these two solutions
will fit our needs.

Cheers,

Jason

--
Jason Rennie
Head of Machine Learning Technologies, StyleFeeder