Licensing Question

Tyler Palsulich
Hi Folks,

I noticed a different license/copyright header at the top of CharsetDetector
<https://github.com/apache/tika/blob/4096059da7f6d50e3d6e018681b8c02a96d3933a/tika-parsers/src/main/java/org/apache/tika/parser/txt/CharsetDetector.java>.
Is this correct and OK to use?

Thanks,
Tyler

RE: Licensing Question

kkrugler
Hi Tyler,

This came from ICU4J, via this commit:

> r777643 | jukka | 2009-05-22 11:21:59 -0700 (Fri, 22 May 2009) | 5 lines
>
> TIKA-233: Inline the ICU4J charset detection logic
>
> Copied the CharsetDetector and related classes from the latest ICU4J version to org.apache.tika.parser.txt. Note that ASF policy explicitly says that we should *not* add the Apache license header to these ICU4J files.
>
> Updated licensing metadata accordingly.

Note the comment about not adding the APL license header to the files.

-- Ken

--------------------------
Ken Krugler
+1 530-210-6378
http://www.scaleunlimited.com
custom big data solutions & training
Hadoop, Cascading, Cassandra & Solr

--------------------------
Ken Krugler
+1 530-210-6378
http://www.scaleunlimited.com
custom big data solutions & training
Hadoop, Cascading, Cassandra & Solr

Re: Licensing Question

Tyler Palsulich
Perfect. I should have thought of the commit message. Thank you, Ken!

Tyler

On Fri, Mar 20, 2015 at 5:15 PM, Ken Krugler <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hi Tyler,
>
> This came from ICU4J, via this commit:
>
> > r777643 | jukka | 2009-05-22 11:21:59 -0700 (Fri, 22 May 2009) | 5 lines
> >
> > TIKA-233: Inline the ICU4J charset detection logic
> >
> > Copied the CharsetDetector and related classes from the latest ICU4J
> version to org.apache.tika.parser.txt. Note that ASF policy explicitly says
> that we should *not* add the Apache license header to these ICU4J files.
> >
> > Updated licensing metadata accordingly.
>

> Note the comment about not adding the APL license header to the files.
>
> -- Ken

Allison, Timothy B.
I wonder if it is time to do a re-copy. :)

wrote:

> Hi Tyler,
>
> This came from ICU4J, via this commit:
>
> > r777643 | jukka | 2009-05-22 11:21:59 -0700 (Fri, 22 May 2009) | 5 lines
> >
> > TIKA-233: Inline the ICU4J charset detection logic
> >
> > Copied the CharsetDetector and related classes from the latest ICU4J
> version to org.apache.tika.parser.txt. Note that ASF policy explicitly says
> that we should *not* add the Apache license header to these ICU4J files.
> >
> > Updated licensing metadata accordingly.
>

> Note the comment about not adding the APL license header to the files.
>
> -- Ken

Konstantin Gribov
It's refactored a little, but no major changes at first glance.

My patch for ibm866 is not in icu4j yet. See
http://bugs.icu-project.org/trac/ticket/11519.
We can reapply it, of course, or take updated patch from ticket in icu's
bug tracker.

--
Best regards,
Konstantin Gribov