Lucene In Action Book vs Lucene 2.0

KEGan
Hi,

I have bought the Lucene In Action Book for more than a year now, and was
using Lucene 1.x during that time. Now, I have a new project with Lucene and
Lucene is now 2.0. Many APIs seems to have changed.

I would like to ask the experts here, what are the important or substantial
changes from Lucene 1.x to 2.0? Which part of the LIA book that is still
usable and which part is not? Any particular things that a new Lucene
2.0user that only have used the
1.x version, should pay attention to?

Thanks.

Re: Lucene In Action Book vs Lucene 2.0

Otis Gospodnetic-2
Hi,

I think you'll find most of the book to still be useful (but then again, I'm the co-author, so maybe I'm not 100% objective).  One thing where the API changed is Fields.  They are now constructed differently, so the code in the book won't match the current API.
We have LIA code working under Lucene 2.0, but we'll have to wait and publish it along with LIA2.  It IS coming! :)

Otis

Re: Lucene In Action Book vs Lucene 2.0

KEGan
Otis,

What about the internal of Lucene? Are there any major changes in there?

LIA is such a great book. Any date when LIA2 is coming? I definitely must
get it :)

On 9/27/06, Otis Gospodnetic <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I think you'll find most of the book to still be useful (but then again,
> I'm the co-author, so maybe I'm not 100% objective).  One thing where the
> API changed is Fields.  They are now constructed differently, so the code in
> the book won't match the current API.
> We have LIA code working under Lucene 2.0, but we'll have to wait and
> publish it along with LIA2.  It IS coming! :)
>
> Otis

Internals have changed some, but I don't think the changes are substantial.  CHANGES.txt is your best source for that answer.  LIA2 some time in early 2007, I hope, but don't hold me on that estimate.

Otis

What about the internal of Lucene? Are there any major changes in there?

LIA is such a great book. Any date when LIA2 is coming? I definitely must
get it :)

On 9/27/06, Otis Gospodnetic <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I think you'll find most of the book to still be useful (but then again,
> I'm the co-author, so maybe I'm not 100% objective).  One thing where the
> API changed is Fields.  They are now constructed differently, so the code in
> the book won't match the current API.
> We have LIA code working under Lucene 2.0, but we'll have to wait and
> publish it along with LIA2.  It IS coming! :)
>
> Otis

steve_rowe
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/lucene/java/tags/lucene_2_0_0/CHANGES.txt