Lucene PMC += Mark Miller

Grant Ingersoll-2
I'm pleased to announce the Lucene PMC has elected to add Mark Miller to its ranks in recognition of his longstanding contributions to the Lucene community as a committer on both Lucene Java and Solr.

Congrats, Mark!

-Grant Ingersoll
Lucene PMC Chair

Re: Lucene PMC += Mark Miller

Mattmann, Chris A (3010)
Welcome, Mark!

Cheers,
Chris

On 1/14/10 7:37 AM, "Grant Ingersoll" <[hidden email]> wrote:

I'm pleased to announce the Lucene PMC has elected to add Mark Miller to its ranks in recognition of his longstanding contributions to the Lucene community as a committer on both Lucene Java and Solr.

Congrats, Mark!

-Grant Ingersoll
Lucene PMC Chair

Chris Mattmann, Ph.D.
Senior Computer Scientist
Office: 171-266B, Mailstop: 171-246
Email: [hidden email]
WWW:   http://sunset.usc.edu/~mattmann/
Phone: +1 (818) 354-8810

Re: Lucene PMC += Mark Miller

Simon Willnauer
Congrats, Mark!!

On Thu, Jan 14, 2010 at 4:37 PM, Grant Ingersoll <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I'm pleased to announce the Lucene PMC has elected to add Mark Miller to its ranks in recognition of his longstanding contributions to the Lucene community as a committer on both Lucene Java and Solr.
>
> Congrats, Mark!
>
> -Grant Ingersoll
> Lucene PMC Chair

RE: Lucene PMC += Mark Miller

Uwe Schindler
Congrats Mark!

Uwe

-----
Uwe Schindler
H.-H.-Meier-Allee 63, D-28213 Bremen
http://www.thetaphi.de
eMail: [hidden email]

Re: Lucene PMC += Mark Miller

Michael McCandless-2
Welcome!

Mike

On Thu, Jan 14, 2010 at 10:37 AM, Grant Ingersoll <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I'm pleased to announce the Lucene PMC has elected to add Mark Miller to its ranks in recognition of his longstanding contributions to the Lucene community as a committer on both Lucene Java and Solr.
>
> Congrats, Mark!
>
> -Grant Ingersoll
> Lucene PMC Chair

Re: Lucene PMC += Mark Miller

IsabelDrost
On 14.01.2010 Grant Ingersoll wrote:
> I'm pleased to announce the Lucene PMC has elected to add Mark Miller to
>  its ranks in recognition of his longstanding contributions to the Lucene
>  community as a committer on both Lucene Java and Solr.
>
> Congrats, Mark!

Congrats!

Isabel

Re: Lucene PMC += Mark Miller

Jason Rutherglen
Congrats Mark!  Umm... Though what's the difference between PMC and
what Mark was?  What do the PMC people do?  Are their term limits?
(Just curious, seems like most people understand what's going on).

On Thu, Jan 14, 2010 at 7:37 AM, Grant Ingersoll <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I'm pleased to announce the Lucene PMC has elected to add Mark Miller to its ranks in recognition of his longstanding contributions to the Lucene community as a committer on both Lucene Java and Solr.
>
> Congrats, Mark!
>
> -Grant Ingersoll
> Lucene PMC Chair

Re: Lucene PMC += Mark Miller

Mark Miller-3
Well, the biggest perk is that I can finally get a Hudson account, in
what may be the weirdest Apache rule I have come across.

The main other stuff: the PMC votes in new committers and their votes
are binding for releases.

You can read about the PMC here: http://www.apache.org/dev/pmc.html

--
- Mark

http://www.lucidimagination.com

Re: Lucene PMC += Mark Miller

Jason Rutherglen
Somewhat interesting... Also I guess there's no term limits... Is this
modeled after anything or has it kind of arbitrarily grown this way?

On Jan 15, 2010, at 12:16 PM, Mark Miller wrote:

> Well, the biggest perk is that I can finally get a Hudson account, in
> what may be the weirdest Apache rule I have come across.

C'mon, the biggest perk is the super secret ASF decoder ring with special Lucene protocol.  Should be arriving any day now.

> The main other stuff: the PMC votes in new committers and their votes
> are binding for releases.

It's ultimately the PMC who is responsible for the functioning of the Lucene project (which implies all of the subprojects) and the PMC reports to the board.  They pretty much run themselves, but every now and then we deal with making sure a project is running smoothly.  We also try to make sure the PMC has representation from all the projects (usually at least 3 from each).

Individually speaking, It's also the next level of merit/recognition for long term committers.

> You can read about the PMC here: http://www.apache.org/dev/pmc.html

Especially the FAQ

On Jan 15, 2010, at 12:27 PM, Jason Rutherglen wrote:

> Somewhat interesting... Also I guess there's no term limits...

Earned merit doesn't go away at the ASF.  That being said, if someone doesn't participate for over a year, we usually ask them to go Emeritus, but that's not a big deal.

> Is this
> modeled after anything or has it kind of arbitrarily grown this way?

Some of it's in the ASF by-laws, some of it just in how the project chooses to organize itself.  For instance, some ASF projects rotate the chair every year, others do not.  Lucene hasn't rotated but that's probably b/c the Lucene PMC is pretty low-key and low-maintanence anyway.

-Grant

Re: Lucene PMC += Mark Miller

Jason Rutherglen
Interesting... Yes I've noticed some people seem to have a lot
of pride in listing themselves as PMC members, but then from the
looks of things, I can't help but wonder what they're doing.
Perhaps there's something going on behind the scenes, though to
be honest it isn't clear what. Perhaps some visibility would be
good, or is the lack of it intentional? Either that or I'm just
missing what's going on, and there's a blog, wiki, or web page
out there describing the activities in detail. I think the
Lucene projects are great, and if it aint broke don't fix it.

On Fri, Jan 15, 2010 at 9:45 AM, Grant Ingersoll <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Jan 15, 2010, at 12:27 PM, Jason Rutherglen wrote:
>
>> Somewhat interesting... Also I guess there's no term limits...
>
> Earned merit doesn't go away at the ASF.  That being said, if someone doesn't participate for over a year, we usually ask them to go Emeritus, but that's not a big deal.
>
>> Is this
>> modeled after anything or has it kind of arbitrarily grown this way?
>
> Some of it's in the ASF by-laws, some of it just in how the project chooses to organize itself.  For instance, some ASF projects rotate the chair every year, others do not.  Lucene hasn't rotated but that's probably b/c the Lucene PMC is pretty low-key and low-maintanence anyway.
>
> -Grant

Re: Lucene PMC += Mark Miller

Ted Dunning
Almost everything Apache related is done in the open.  Even release votes
where the PMC votes are binding and other votes not are in the open.  The
only difference is in the counting.

The only significant thing that I have seen that is not entirely open is
voting on new PMC members.

The entire process is very transparent and very refreshing.  It is also
quite surprising and encouraging how well it works with so little mechanism.

Ted Dunning, CTO
DeepDyve

Re: Lucene PMC += Mark Miller

Mike Klaas
On Fri, Jan 15, 2010 at 11:03 AM, Ted Dunning <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The only significant thing that I have seen that is not entirely open is
> voting on new PMC members.

...and on new committers for the various Lucene subprojects as well.
This, as well as making sure that the legal t's are crossed and i's
dotted make up 99% of what goes on on the private@ list.  The idea is
that anything that doesn't /need/ to be private should be discussed
publicly: it is consequently quite a boring place <g>.

Since almost everything the PMC does is vote on new committers and
fulfill the binding-release-vote quota, it is very desirable to always
have the most long-term/experienced committers from each subproject on
the PMC.  This is another reason why term-limits wouldn't be ideal
(besides the reason that Grant mentioned).

cheers,
-Mike