Lucene/Solr 5.5.1

123

Lucene/Solr 5.5.1

Anshum Gupta
Hi,

I would like to release 5.5.1, specially for to SOLR-8725.

SOLR-8642 in 5.5 stops people from upgrading to 5.5 and a lot of users have spoken about it on the mailing list and the JIRA.

I would like to start the process towards the end of the coming week.

Anshum Gupta

Anshum Gupta

Anshum Gupta

Re: Lucene/Solr 5.5.1

Yonik Seeley
On Sun, Apr 10, 2016 at 12:59 PM, Anshum Gupta <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I would like to release 5.5.1, specially for to SOLR-8725.
>
> SOLR-8642 in 5.5 stops people from upgrading to 5.5 and a lot of users have
> spoken about it on the mailing list and the JIRA.
>
> I would like to start the process towards the end of the coming week.

At a minimum, we should prob look at the whole bug-fix section of 6.0

Re: Lucene/Solr 5.5.1

Ishan Chattopadhyaya
Hi Anshum,

I'd like someone to backport the following:
SOLR-8838
SOLR-8082
SOLR-8865

These are mentioned in the bug-fix section of 6.0, so I agree with Yonik that we should perhaps look at all of those changes.
Thanks and regards,
Ishan

On Mon, Apr 11, 2016 at 9:55 PM, Yonik Seeley <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Sun, Apr 10, 2016 at 12:59 PM, Anshum Gupta <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I would like to release 5.5.1, specially for to SOLR-8725.
>
> SOLR-8642 in 5.5 stops people from upgrading to 5.5 and a lot of users have
> spoken about it on the mailing list and the JIRA.
>
> I would like to start the process towards the end of the coming week.

At a minimum, we should prob look at the whole bug-fix section of 6.0

Re: Lucene/Solr 5.5.1

Yonik Seeley
I just backported SOLR-8155... may do more when I get time, but taxes
and other stuff are waiting for me right now.
FWIW I backported to the 5x branch (and then to 55 branch from there)
given that we could have a 5.6 release in the future.

-Yonik

On Mon, Apr 11, 2016 at 1:04 PM, Ishan Chattopadhyaya
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Anshum,
>
> I'd like someone to backport the following:
> SOLR-8838
> SOLR-8082
> SOLR-8865
>
> These are mentioned in the bug-fix section of 6.0, so I agree with Yonik
> that we should perhaps look at all of those changes.
> Thanks and regards,
> Ishan
>

> On Mon, Apr 11, 2016 at 9:55 PM, Yonik Seeley <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> On Sun, Apr 10, 2016 at 12:59 PM, Anshum Gupta <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > I would like to release 5.5.1, specially for to SOLR-8725.
>> >
>> > SOLR-8642 in 5.5 stops people from upgrading to 5.5 and a lot of users
>> > have
>> > spoken about it on the mailing list and the JIRA.
>> >
>> > I would like to start the process towards the end of the coming week.
>>
>> At a minimum, we should prob look at the whole bug-fix section of 6.0
>>
>> -Yonik

Re: Lucene/Solr 5.5.1

david.w.smiley@gmail.com
On Mon, Apr 11, 2016 at 2:15 PM Yonik Seeley <[hidden email]> wrote:
FWIW I backported to the 5x branch (and then to 55 branch from there)
given that we could have a 5.6 release in the future.

Good; I think we should *always* do that when back-porting.  Not doing it could really bite us by accident.

Re: Lucene/Solr 5.5.1

Anshum Gupta
I agree and that is on my list of things to do for the release.

On Mon, Apr 11, 2016 at 9:25 AM, Yonik Seeley <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Sun, Apr 10, 2016 at 12:59 PM, Anshum Gupta <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I would like to release 5.5.1, specially for to SOLR-8725.
>
> SOLR-8642 in 5.5 stops people from upgrading to 5.5 and a lot of users have
> spoken about it on the mailing list and the JIRA.
>
> I would like to start the process towards the end of the coming week.

At a minimum, we should prob look at the whole bug-fix section of 6.0

Anshum Gupta

Re: Lucene/Solr 5.5.1

Anshum Gupta
Thanks Ishan. I'll take a look.

On Mon, Apr 11, 2016 at 10:04 AM, Ishan Chattopadhyaya <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Anshum,

I'd like someone to backport the following:
SOLR-8838
SOLR-8082
SOLR-8865

These are mentioned in the bug-fix section of 6.0, so I agree with Yonik that we should perhaps look at all of those changes.
Thanks and regards,
Ishan

On Mon, Apr 11, 2016 at 9:55 PM, Yonik Seeley <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Sun, Apr 10, 2016 at 12:59 PM, Anshum Gupta <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I would like to release 5.5.1, specially for to SOLR-8725.
>
> SOLR-8642 in 5.5 stops people from upgrading to 5.5 and a lot of users have
> spoken about it on the mailing list and the JIRA.
>
> I would like to start the process towards the end of the coming week.

At a minimum, we should prob look at the whole bug-fix section of 6.0

Anshum Gupta

Re: Lucene/Solr 5.5.1

Bram Van Dam
On 11/04/16 19:04, Ishan Chattopadhyaya wrote:
> I'd like someone to backport the following:
> SOLR-8838
> SOLR-8082
> SOLR-8865

Can we please add SOLR-8145 to that list? It fixes an incorrect
oom_killer argument in the startupt script and a Jetty warning on startup.

Please let me know if you'd like me to help test 5.5.1.

 - Bram

Re: Lucene/Solr 5.5.1

Timothy Potter
Hi Anshum,

I think we should also consider SOLR-8908 for 5.5.1, it's a pretty bad
leak esp. in envs that make lots of reloads due to schema edits. I
have a fix up, but am struggling to create a test for it atm.

Tim

On Wed, Apr 13, 2016 at 5:55 AM, Bram Van Dam <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 11/04/16 19:04, Ishan Chattopadhyaya wrote:
>> I'd like someone to backport the following:
>> SOLR-8838
>> SOLR-8082
>> SOLR-8865
>
> Can we please add SOLR-8145 to that list? It fixes an incorrect
> oom_killer argument in the startupt script and a Jetty warning on startup.
>
> Please let me know if you'd like me to help test 5.5.1.
>
>  - Bram

Re: Lucene/Solr 5.5.1

Anshum Gupta
Can you please test it with 5.5.1 so someone could back port it. Thanks.

On Wed, Apr 13, 2016 at 4:55 AM, Bram Van Dam <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 11/04/16 19:04, Ishan Chattopadhyaya wrote:
> I'd like someone to backport the following:
> SOLR-8838
> SOLR-8082
> SOLR-8865

Can we please add SOLR-8145 to that list? It fixes an incorrect
oom_killer argument in the startupt script and a Jetty warning on startup.

Please let me know if you'd like me to help test 5.5.1.

 - Bram

Anshum Gupta

Re: Lucene/Solr 5.5.1

Anshum Gupta
Go for it Tim! Let us try to get it in with the test and if you need a bit of time for that, let me know.

If you think getting the test would take a lot of time, let us at least get the fix in 5.5.1 if you are confident about the fix.

On Wed, Apr 13, 2016 at 9:44 AM, Timothy Potter <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Anshum,

I think we should also consider SOLR-8908 for 5.5.1, it's a pretty bad
leak esp. in envs that make lots of reloads due to schema edits. I
have a fix up, but am struggling to create a test for it atm.

Tim

On Wed, Apr 13, 2016 at 5:55 AM, Bram Van Dam <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On 11/04/16 19:04, Ishan Chattopadhyaya wrote:
>> I'd like someone to backport the following:
>> SOLR-8838
>> SOLR-8082
>> SOLR-8865
>
> Can we please add SOLR-8145 to that list? It fixes an incorrect
> oom_killer argument in the startupt script and a Jetty warning on startup.
>
> Please let me know if you'd like me to help test 5.5.1.
>
>  - Bram

Anshum Gupta

Re: Lucene/Solr 5.5.1

Timothy Potter
Thanks Anshum. I've pushed a unit test for that ticket ... can you
give it a quick look?

Cheers,
Tim

On Wed, Apr 13, 2016 at 11:27 AM, Anshum Gupta <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Go for it Tim! Let us try to get it in with the test and if you need a bit
> of time for that, let me know.
>
> If you think getting the test would take a lot of time, let us at least get
> the fix in 5.5.1 if you are confident about the fix.
>
> On Wed, Apr 13, 2016 at 9:44 AM, Timothy Potter <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Anshum,
>>
>> I think we should also consider SOLR-8908 for 5.5.1, it's a pretty bad
>> leak esp. in envs that make lots of reloads due to schema edits. I
>> have a fix up, but am struggling to create a test for it atm.
>>
>> Tim
>>
>> On Wed, Apr 13, 2016 at 5:55 AM, Bram Van Dam <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>> >
>> > Can we please add SOLR-8145 to that list? It fixes an incorrect
>> > oom_killer argument in the startupt script and a Jetty warning on
>> > startup.
>> >
>> > Please let me know if you'd like me to help test 5.5.1.
>> >
>> >  - Bram

> Anshum Gupta

Re: Lucene/Solr 5.5.1

Bram Van Dam
On 13/04/16 19:26, Anshum Gupta wrote:
> Can you please test it with 5.5.1 so someone could back port it. Thanks.

I've finished testing SOLR-8145 on branch_5_5. Patch applies cleanly and
the bugfix works fine. I don't have commit access, so someone else will
have to take care of that part.

git cherry-pick 80801a2 does the trick.

Thanks,

 - Bram

Re: Lucene/Solr 5.5.1

Noble Paul നോബിള്‍  नोब्ळ्
When do you plan to cut a branch, I hope we can include SOLR-8662 into the release

On Thu, Apr 14, 2016 at 1:29 PM, Bram Van Dam <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 13/04/16 19:26, Anshum Gupta wrote:
> Can you please test it with 5.5.1 so someone could back port it. Thanks.

I've finished testing SOLR-8145 on branch_5_5. Patch applies cleanly and
the bugfix works fine. I don't have commit access, so someone else will
have to take care of that part.

git cherry-pick 80801a2 does the trick.

Thanks,

 - Bram

Noble Paul

Re: Lucene/Solr 5.5.1

Yonik Seeley
On Thu, Apr 14, 2016 at 9:36 AM, Noble Paul <[hidden email]> wrote:
> When do you plan to cut a branch, I hope we can include SOLR-8662 into the
> release

We don't create per-bugfix-release branches.  All 5.5.x releases will
be made from branch_5_5, which already exists.

Re: Lucene/Solr 5.5.1

Anshum Gupta
Thanks Tim. I'll take a look.

On Wed, Apr 13, 2016 at 7:49 PM, Timothy Potter <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thanks Anshum. I've pushed a unit test for that ticket ... can you
give it a quick look?

Cheers,
Tim

On Wed, Apr 13, 2016 at 11:27 AM, Anshum Gupta <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Go for it Tim! Let us try to get it in with the test and if you need a bit
> of time for that, let me know.
>
> If you think getting the test would take a lot of time, let us at least get
> the fix in 5.5.1 if you are confident about the fix.
>
> On Wed, Apr 13, 2016 at 9:44 AM, Timothy Potter <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Anshum,
>>
>> I think we should also consider SOLR-8908 for 5.5.1, it's a pretty bad
>> leak esp. in envs that make lots of reloads due to schema edits. I
>> have a fix up, but am struggling to create a test for it atm.
>>
>> Tim
>>
>> On Wed, Apr 13, 2016 at 5:55 AM, Bram Van Dam <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>> >
>> > Can we please add SOLR-8145 to that list? It fixes an incorrect
>> > oom_killer argument in the startupt script and a Jetty warning on
>> > startup.
>> >
>> > Please let me know if you'd like me to help test 5.5.1.
>> >
>> >  - Bram

> Anshum Gupta

Anshum Gupta

Re: Lucene/Solr 5.5.1

Anshum Gupta
If someone else doesn't get to it before I do, I'll do that as part of the 6.0 change log triage/back-port.

On Thu, Apr 14, 2016 at 12:59 AM, Bram Van Dam <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 13/04/16 19:26, Anshum Gupta wrote:
> Can you please test it with 5.5.1 so someone could back port it. Thanks.

I've finished testing SOLR-8145 on branch_5_5. Patch applies cleanly and
the bugfix works fine. I don't have commit access, so someone else will
have to take care of that part.

git cherry-pick 80801a2 does the trick.

Thanks,

 - Bram

Anshum Gupta

Re: Lucene/Solr 5.5.1

Anshum Gupta
As Yonik mentioned, I wouldn't be cutting a branch but directly spinning an RC. I have a few things on my plate so I think I'll only be able to get to it over the weekend or by Monday, so you still have some time.
I wouldn't rush the release specially as this seems like a good candidate for 5.5.1.