Lucene/Solr 6.0.0 Release Branch

1234

Lucene/Solr 6.0.0 Release Branch

Nicholas Knize
With the release of 5.5 and the previous discussion re: 6.0.0 I'd like to keep the ball moving and volunteer as the 6.0.0 RM.

If there are no objections my plan is to cut branch_6_0 early next week - Mon or Tues. Please mark blocker issues accordingly and/or let me know if there are any commits needed before cutting the branch.

- Nick

Re: Lucene/Solr 6.0.0 Release Branch

Mike Drob-3
I'd really like to see LUCENE-6993 make it in, but unfortunately, I don't have an ETA on it at this time.

On Wed, Feb 24, 2016 at 2:23 PM, Nicholas Knize <[hidden email]> wrote:
With the release of 5.5 and the previous discussion re: 6.0.0 I'd like to keep the ball moving and volunteer as the 6.0.0 RM.

If there are no objections my plan is to cut branch_6_0 early next week - Mon or Tues. Please mark blocker issues accordingly and/or let me know if there are any commits needed before cutting the branch.

- Nick

RE: Lucene/Solr 6.0.0 Release Branch

Uwe Schindler

Hi Nicholas,

before we start a branch_6_0 we should do the following:

-          Start branch_6x as “new stable branch”

-          Update version numbers in “master” to 7.0

This should be done maybe early next week and then after a while that things settle (also the Jenkins Jobs for branch_6x are set up), we can proceed with a gap:

-          Cut branch_6_0

-          Update version numbers in “branch_6x” to 6.1

Uwe

-----

Uwe Schindler

H.-H.-Meier-Allee 63, D-28213 Bremen

http://www.thetaphi.de

With the release of 5.5 and the previous discussion re: 6.0.0 I'd like to keep the ball moving and volunteer as the 6.0.0 RM.

If there are no objections my plan is to cut branch_6_0 early next week - Mon or Tues. Please mark blocker issues accordingly and/or let me know if there are any commits needed before cutting the branch.

- Nick

Re: Lucene/Solr 6.0.0 Release Branch

Michael McCandless-2
Thank you for volunteering Nick!

Mike McCandless

http://blog.mikemccandless.com

On Wed, Feb 24, 2016 at 3:23 PM, Nicholas Knize <[hidden email]> wrote:
> With the release of 5.5 and the previous discussion re: 6.0.0 I'd like to
> keep the ball moving and volunteer as the 6.0.0 RM.
>
> If there are no objections my plan is to cut branch_6_0 early next week -
> Mon or Tues. Please mark blocker issues accordingly and/or let me know if
> there are any commits needed before cutting the branch.
>
> - Nick

With the release of 5.5 and the previous discussion re: 6.0.0 I'd like to keep the ball moving and volunteer as the 6.0.0 RM.

If there are no objections my plan is to cut branch_6_0 early next week - Mon or Tues. Please mark blocker issues accordingly and/or let me know if there are any commits needed before cutting the branch.

- Nick

Re: Lucene/Solr 6.0.0 Release Branch

david.w.smiley@gmail.com
I consider https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LUCENE-7056 (a little spatail3d reshuffling) blocker before 6.0 as it's the ideal time to move things around / rename.  But I don't mind doing an extra cherry pick in the end if you want to go create the branch without waiting.  So I don't know if you want to call that a blocker or not.

Also, FYI there's a feature LUCENE-5735 (NumberRangePrefixTreeStrategy.calcFacets) that I committed to master (but not 5x) over a year ago but didn't quite close the issue.  I had found a bug or two but then lost the time to finish it.   I'd rather remove this feature from the 6x branch after you create the branch.  When I get more time (very likely this year) I can resolve the lingering bugs and get it into whatever 6.x release comes along then.  So nothing for you to do here but wanted to let you know.

Hey thanks for pitching in to do the release.

~ David

On Wed, Feb 24, 2016 at 11:09 PM Nicholas Knize <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the info David!

I'll likely update version labels and create the 6X branch late tomorrow or early the next day. Let me know if anyone has an issue with this timing.

Thanks,

- Nick

On Wednesday, February 24, 2016, Uwe Schindler <<a href="javascript:_e(%7B%7D,&#39;cvml&#39;,&#39;uwe@thetaphi.de&#39;);" target="_blank">uwe@...> wrote:

[...]

Will do that!

Uwe

-----

Uwe Schindler

H.-H.-Meier-Allee 63, D-28213 Bremen

http://www.thetaphi.de

With the release of 5.5 and the previous discussion re: 6.0.0 I'd like to keep the ball moving and volunteer as the 6.0.0 RM.

If there are no objections my plan is to cut branch_6_0 early next week - Mon or Tues. Please mark blocker issues accordingly and/or let me know if there are any commits needed before cutting the branch.

- Nick

Re: Lucene/Solr 6.0.0 Release Branch

Nicholas Knize
Thanks Uwe!

On Wed, Mar 2, 2016 at 3:18 AM, Uwe Schindler <[hidden email]> wrote:

Will do that!

Uwe

-----

Uwe Schindler

H.-H.-Meier-Allee 63, D-28213 Bremen

http://www.thetaphi.de

With the release of 5.5 and the previous discussion re: 6.0.0 I'd like to keep the ball moving and volunteer as the 6.0.0 RM.

If there are no objections my plan is to cut branch_6_0 early next week - Mon or Tues. Please mark blocker issues accordingly and/or let me know if there are any commits needed before cutting the branch.

- Nick

Re: Lucene/Solr 6.0.0 Release Branch

Michael McCandless-2
Thanks Nick!

Is it OK if I push LUCENE-7059 (6.0 blocker I opened yesterday)?
Point values issues...

On Wed, Mar 2, 2016 at 4:15 AM, Nicholas Knize <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I created branch_6x and updated the version in master to 7.0.0 but it looks
> like I do not have jenkins karma to configure builds for the new 6x branch.
> Can someone have a look at configuring the builds?
>
> On Mon, Feb 29, 2016 at 11:40 PM, Nicholas Knize <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>

>> Thanks for the info David!
>>
>> I'll likely update version labels and create the 6X branch late tomorrow
>> or early the next day. Let me know if anyone has an issue with this timing.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> - Nick
>>
>> On Monday, February 29, 2016, [hidden email]
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> I consider https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LUCENE-7056 (a little
>>> spatail3d reshuffling) blocker before 6.0 as it's the ideal time to move
>>> things around / rename.  But I don't mind doing an extra cherry pick in the
>>> end if you want to go create the branch without waiting.  So I don't know if
>>> you want to call that a blocker or not.
>>>
>>> Also, FYI there's a feature LUCENE-5735
>>> (NumberRangePrefixTreeStrategy.calcFacets) that I committed to master (but
>>> not 5x) over a year ago but didn't quite close the issue.  I had found a bug
>>> or two but then lost the time to finish it.   I'd rather remove this feature
>>> from the 6x branch after you create the branch.  When I get more time (very
>>> likely this year) I can resolve the lingering bugs and get it into whatever
>>> 6.x release comes along then.  So nothing for you to do here but wanted to
>>> let you know.
>>>
>>> Hey thanks for pitching in to do the release.
>>>
>>> ~ David

Yes! The 6x branch is in feature freeze but bug fixes are still OK. We'll let jenkins settle over the next week or so before beginning the actual release process.

On Wed, Mar 2, 2016 at 3:30 AM, Michael McCandless <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thanks Nick!

Is it OK if I push LUCENE-7059 (6.0 blocker I opened yesterday)?
Point values issues...

Mike McCandless

http://blog.mikemccandless.com

On Wed, Mar 2, 2016 at 4:15 AM, Nicholas Knize <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I created branch_6x and updated the version in master to 7.0.0 but it looks
> like I do not have jenkins karma to configure builds for the new 6x branch.
> Can someone have a look at configuring the builds?
>
> On Mon, Feb 29, 2016 at 11:40 PM, Nicholas Knize <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>

>> Thanks for the info David!
>>
>> I'll likely update version labels and create the 6X branch late tomorrow
>> or early the next day. Let me know if anyone has an issue with this timing.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> - Nick
>>
>> On Monday, February 29, 2016, [hidden email]
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> I consider https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LUCENE-7056 (a little
>>> spatail3d reshuffling) blocker before 6.0 as it's the ideal time to move
>>> things around / rename.  But I don't mind doing an extra cherry pick in the
>>> end if you want to go create the branch without waiting.  So I don't know if
>>> you want to call that a blocker or not.
>>>
>>> Also, FYI there's a feature LUCENE-5735
>>> (NumberRangePrefixTreeStrategy.calcFacets) that I committed to master (but
>>> not 5x) over a year ago but didn't quite close the issue.  I had found a bug
>>> or two but then lost the time to finish it.   I'd rather remove this feature
>>> from the 6x branch after you create the branch.  When I get more time (very
>>> likely this year) I can resolve the lingering bugs and get it into whatever
>>> 6.x release comes along then.  So nothing for you to do here but wanted to
>>> let you know.
>>>
>>> Hey thanks for pitching in to do the release.
>>>
>>> ~ David

TestBackCompat seems angry on master ... I'll try to fix it.  Seems
like addVersion.py got confused maybe :)

On Wed, Mar 2, 2016 at 4:39 AM, Nicholas Knize <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Yes! The 6x branch is in feature freeze but bug fixes are still OK. We'll
> let jenkins settle over the next week or so before beginning the actual
> release process.
>
> On Wed, Mar 2, 2016 at 3:30 AM, Michael McCandless
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Thanks Nick!
>>
>> Is it OK if I push LUCENE-7059 (6.0 blocker I opened yesterday)?
>> Point values issues...
>>
>> Mike McCandless
>>
>> http://blog.mikemccandless.com
>>

>> On Wed, Mar 2, 2016 at 4:15 AM, Nicholas Knize <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > I created branch_6x and updated the version in master to 7.0.0 but it
>> > looks
>> > like I do not have jenkins karma to configure builds for the new 6x
>> > branch.
>> > Can someone have a look at configuring the builds?

Thanks Mike! I'll have a look at addVersion.py and see if it needs to be updated.

On Wed, Mar 2, 2016 at 3:50 AM, Michael McCandless <[hidden email]> wrote:
TestBackCompat seems angry on master ... I'll try to fix it.  Seems
like addVersion.py got confused maybe :)

Mike McCandless

http://blog.mikemccandless.com

On Wed, Mar 2, 2016 at 4:39 AM, Nicholas Knize <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Yes! The 6x branch is in feature freeze but bug fixes are still OK. We'll
> let jenkins settle over the next week or so before beginning the actual
> release process.
>
> On Wed, Mar 2, 2016 at 3:30 AM, Michael McCandless
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Thanks Nick!
>>
>> Is it OK if I push LUCENE-7059 (6.0 blocker I opened yesterday)?
>> Point values issues...
>>
>> Mike McCandless
>>
>> http://blog.mikemccandless.com
>>

>> On Wed, Mar 2, 2016 at 4:15 AM, Nicholas Knize <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > I created branch_6x and updated the version in master to 7.0.0 but it
>> > looks
>> > like I do not have jenkins karma to configure builds for the new 6x
>> > branch.
>> > Can someone have a look at configuring the builds?

Alan Woodward-2
Should we create a separate branch_6_0 branch for the feature-freeze?  I have stuff to push into master and that should eventually make it into 6.1, and it will be easy to forget to backport stuff if there's a week before I can do that…

Alan Woodward
www.flax.co.uk

On 2 Mar 2016, at 09:39, Nicholas Knize wrote:

Yes! The 6x branch is in feature freeze but bug fixes are still OK. We'll let jenkins settle over the next week or so before beginning the actual release process.

On Wed, Mar 2, 2016 at 3:30 AM, Michael McCandless <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thanks Nick!

Is it OK if I push LUCENE-7059 (6.0 blocker I opened yesterday)?
Point values issues...

Mike McCandless

http://blog.mikemccandless.com

On Wed, Mar 2, 2016 at 4:15 AM, Nicholas Knize <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I created branch_6x and updated the version in master to 7.0.0 but it looks
> like I do not have jenkins karma to configure builds for the new 6x branch.
> Can someone have a look at configuring the builds?
>
> On Mon, Feb 29, 2016 at 11:40 PM, Nicholas Knize <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>

>> Thanks for the info David!
>>
>> I'll likely update version labels and create the 6X branch late tomorrow
>> or early the next day. Let me know if anyone has an issue with this timing.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> - Nick
>>
>> On Monday, February 29, 2016, [hidden email]
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> I consider https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LUCENE-7056 (a little
>>> spatail3d reshuffling) blocker before 6.0 as it's the ideal time to move
>>> things around / rename.  But I don't mind doing an extra cherry pick in the
>>> end if you want to go create the branch without waiting.  So I don't know if
>>> you want to call that a blocker or not.
>>>
>>> Also, FYI there's a feature LUCENE-5735
>>> (NumberRangePrefixTreeStrategy.calcFacets) that I committed to master (but
>>> not 5x) over a year ago but didn't quite close the issue.  I had found a bug
>>> or two but then lost the time to finish it.   I'd rather remove this feature
>>> from the 6x branch after you create the branch.  When I get more time (very
>>> likely this year) I can resolve the lingering bugs and get it into whatever
>>> 6.x release comes along then.  So nothing for you to do here but wanted to
>>> let you know.
>>>
>>> Hey thanks for pitching in to do the release.
>>>
>>> ~ David

Shalin Shekhar Mangar
+1 to a separate branch_6_0 for the freeze. I'm going to create a 6.1
section in CHANGES.txt.

On Wed, Mar 2, 2016 at 4:49 PM, Alan Woodward <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Should we create a separate branch_6_0 branch for the feature-freeze?  I
> have stuff to push into master and that should eventually make it into 6.1,
> and it will be easy to forget to backport stuff if there's a week before I
> can do that…
>
> Alan Woodward
> www.flax.co.uk
>

> On 2 Mar 2016, at 09:39, Nicholas Knize wrote:
>
> Yes! The 6x branch is in feature freeze but bug fixes are still OK. We'll
> let jenkins settle over the next week or so before beginning the actual
> release process.
>
> On Wed, Mar 2, 2016 at 3:30 AM, Michael McCandless
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Thanks Nick!
>>
>> Is it OK if I push LUCENE-7059 (6.0 blocker I opened yesterday)?
>> Point values issues...
>>
>> Mike McCandless
>>
>> http://blog.mikemccandless.com
>>

>> On Wed, Mar 2, 2016 at 4:15 AM, Nicholas Knize <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > I created branch_6x and updated the version in master to 7.0.0 but it
>> > looks
>> > like I do not have jenkins karma to configure builds for the new 6x
>> > branch.
>> > Can someone have a look at configuring the builds?

Shalin Shekhar Mangar.

Re: Lucene/Solr 6.0.0 Release Branch

Gus Heck
Hi, just noticed this thread. I've been pushing hard to get https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-8349, which was partly funded by a customer into 6.0 ... I submitted it many months ago, but only got review a few weeks ago.

On Wed, Mar 2, 2016 at 10:48 AM, Shalin Shekhar Mangar <[hidden email]> wrote:
+1 to a separate branch_6_0 for the freeze. I'm going to create a 6.1
section in CHANGES.txt.

On Wed, Mar 2, 2016 at 4:49 PM, Alan Woodward <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Should we create a separate branch_6_0 branch for the feature-freeze?  I
> have stuff to push into master and that should eventually make it into 6.1,
> and it will be easy to forget to backport stuff if there's a week before I
> can do that…
>
> Alan Woodward
> www.flax.co.uk
>

> On 2 Mar 2016, at 09:39, Nicholas Knize wrote:
>
> Yes! The 6x branch is in feature freeze but bug fixes are still OK. We'll
> let jenkins settle over the next week or so before beginning the actual
> release process.
>
> On Wed, Mar 2, 2016 at 3:30 AM, Michael McCandless
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Thanks Nick!
>>
>> Is it OK if I push LUCENE-7059 (6.0 blocker I opened yesterday)?
>> Point values issues...
>>
>> Mike McCandless
>>
>> http://blog.mikemccandless.com
>>

>> On Wed, Mar 2, 2016 at 4:15 AM, Nicholas Knize <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > I created branch_6x and updated the version in master to 7.0.0 but it
>> > looks
>> > like I do not have jenkins karma to configure builds for the new 6x
>> > branch.
>> > Can someone have a look at configuring the builds?

Hmm if I add a 6.1 section now, before the branch_6_0 is created, Nick
will have to manually remove the 6.1 section.

Nick, I have some stuff to commit for 6.1 but I can hold on for a bit
if you are going to create the branch_6_0 soon.

On Wed, Mar 2, 2016 at 9:18 PM, Shalin Shekhar Mangar
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> +1 to a separate branch_6_0 for the freeze. I'm going to create a 6.1
> section in CHANGES.txt.
>
> On Wed, Mar 2, 2016 at 4:49 PM, Alan Woodward <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Should we create a separate branch_6_0 branch for the feature-freeze?  I
>> have stuff to push into master and that should eventually make it into 6.1,
>> and it will be easy to forget to backport stuff if there's a week before I
>> can do that…
>>
>> Alan Woodward
>> www.flax.co.uk
>>

>> On 2 Mar 2016, at 09:39, Nicholas Knize wrote:
>>
>> Yes! The 6x branch is in feature freeze but bug fixes are still OK. We'll
>> let jenkins settle over the next week or so before beginning the actual
>> release process.
>>
>> On Wed, Mar 2, 2016 at 3:30 AM, Michael McCandless
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Thanks Nick!
>>>
>>> Is it OK if I push LUCENE-7059 (6.0 blocker I opened yesterday)?
>>> Point values issues...
>>>
>>> Mike McCandless
>>>
>>> http://blog.mikemccandless.com

Shalin Shekhar Mangar.

Re: Lucene/Solr 6.0.0 Release Branch

Shalin Shekhar Mangar
Gus, we are now in feature freeze for 6.0 but we should have a 6.1
soon-ish. Lucene/Solr averages a minor release every 6 weeks or so.

On Wed, Mar 2, 2016 at 9:34 PM, Gus Heck <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi, just noticed this thread. I've been pushing hard to get
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-8349, which was partly funded by
> a customer into 6.0 ... I submitted it many months ago, but only got review
> a few weeks ago.
>
> On Wed, Mar 2, 2016 at 10:48 AM, Shalin Shekhar Mangar
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> +1 to a separate branch_6_0 for the freeze. I'm going to create a 6.1
>> section in CHANGES.txt.
>>
>> On Wed, Mar 2, 2016 at 4:49 PM, Alan Woodward <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > Should we create a separate branch_6_0 branch for the feature-freeze?  I
>> > have stuff to push into master and that should eventually make it into
>> > 6.1,
>> > and it will be easy to forget to backport stuff if there's a week before
>> > can do that…
>> >
>> > Alan Woodward
>> > www.flax.co.uk
>> >

>> > On 2 Mar 2016, at 09:39, Nicholas Knize wrote:
>> >
>> > Yes! The 6x branch is in feature freeze but bug fixes are still OK.
>> > We'll
>> > let jenkins settle over the next week or so before beginning the actual
>> > release process.

Shalin Shekhar Mangar.

Re: Lucene/Solr 6.0.0 Release Branch

Shawn Heisey-2
On 3/2/2016 4:19 AM, Alan Woodward wrote:
> Should we create a separate branch_6_0 branch for the feature-freeze?
>  I have stuff to push into master and that should eventually make it
> into 6.1, and it will be easy to forget to backport stuff if there's a
> week before I can do that…

+1

When I saw Nick's email about branch_6x being feature frozen, my first
thought was that we don't (and really can't) feature freeze the stable
branch -- isn't new feature development (for the next minor release in
the current major version) the entire purpose of branch_Nx?

A feature freeze on a specific minor version does make sense.  I've seen
a couple of people say that we have, but there are also a few messages
from people saying that they want to include new functionality in 6.0.
I expect that backporting almost anything from branch_6x to branch_6_0
will be relatively easy, so it may be a good idea to just create the new
branch.

Thanks,
Shawn

1234