Lucene & Google Summer of Code 2011

Simon Willnauer
hey folks,

Google has announce GSoC 2011 lately and mentoring organizations can
start submitting applications by the end of feb
(http://www.google-melange.com/document/show/gsoc_program/google/gsoc2011/timeline).
I wonder if we should participate this year again? I think we have
plenty of work to do and its a great opportunity to get fresh blood
into the project on both ends Solr & Lucene.  I already have a couple
of tasks / projects in mind though...

Thoughts?

Re: Lucene & Google Summer of Code 2011

Michael McCandless-2
Big +1.

We need all the help we can get...

Should we make a wiki page where we can post/iterate on the ideas?

Mike

On Mon, Jan 24, 2011 at 3:29 PM, Simon Willnauer
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> hey folks,
>
> Google has announce GSoC 2011 lately and mentoring organizations can
> start submitting applications by the end of feb
> (http://www.google-melange.com/document/show/gsoc_program/google/gsoc2011/timeline).
> I wonder if we should participate this year again? I think we have
> plenty of work to do and its a great opportunity to get fresh blood
> into the project on both ends Solr & Lucene.  I already have a couple
> of tasks / projects in mind though...
>
> Thoughts?

RE: Lucene & Google Summer of Code 2011

karl.wright
A nice idea.  I've always wondered about this, because for me "summer" and "code" do not go together very well. ;-)
Karl

Re: Lucene & Google Summer of Code 2011

Uwe Schindler
+1

I also have an idea from the attributes and TokenStream policeman. So I could even help mentoring.

Uwe

"Simon Willnauer" <[hidden email]> schrieb:

>hey folks,
>
>Google has announce GSoC 2011 lately and mentoring organizations can
>start submitting applications by the end of feb
>(http://www.google-melange.com/document/show/gsoc_program/google/gsoc2011/timeline).
>I wonder if we should participate this year again? I think we have
>plenty of work to do and its a great opportunity to get fresh blood
>into the project on both ends Solr & Lucene.  I already have a couple
>of tasks / projects in mind though...
>
>Thoughts?

Uwe Schindler
H.-H.-Meier-Allee 63, 28213 Bremen
http://www.thetaphi.de

Re: Lucene & Google Summer of Code 2011

Simon Willnauer

done - http://wiki.apache.org/lucene-java/SummerOfCode2011

> Mike
>
> On Mon, Jan 24, 2011 at 3:29 PM, Simon Willnauer
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> hey folks,
>>
>> Google has announce GSoC 2011 lately and mentoring organizations can
>> start submitting applications by the end of feb
>> (http://www.google-melange.com/document/show/gsoc_program/google/gsoc2011/timeline).
>> I wonder if we should participate this year again? I think we have
>> plenty of work to do and its a great opportunity to get fresh blood
>> into the project on both ends Solr & Lucene.  I already have a couple
>> of tasks / projects in mind though...
>>
>> Thoughts?

Re: Lucene & Google Summer of Code 2011

Michael Busch
Oh my god, Uwe, I was hoping you would never write a "sophisticated™
backwards® compatibility layer" again!

  Michael

On 1/24/11 12:39 PM, Uwe Schindler wrote:

> +1
>
> I also have an idea from the attributes and TokenStream policeman. So I could even help mentoring.
>
> Uwe
>

> "Simon Willnauer"<[hidden email]>  schrieb:
>
>> hey folks,
>>
>> Google has announce GSoC 2011 lately and mentoring organizations can
>> start submitting applications by the end of feb
>> (http://www.google-melange.com/document/show/gsoc_program/google/gsoc2011/timeline).
>> I wonder if we should participate this year again? I think we have
>> plenty of work to do and its a great opportunity to get fresh blood
>> into the project on both ends Solr&  Lucene.  I already have a couple
>> of tasks / projects in mind though...
>>
>> Thoughts?

> Uwe Schindler
> H.-H.-Meier-Allee 63, 28213 Bremen
> http://www.thetaphi.de

Re: Lucene & Google Summer of Code 2011

Grant Ingersoll-2
GSOC has been a great boon to Mahout.  +1 on us doing it.  Note, committers should subscribe to [hidden email] to get on the list to coordinate efforts, as the ASF only gets a certain number of slots.

On Mon, Jan 24, 2011 at 11:58 PM, Grant Ingersoll <[hidden email]> wrote:
> GSOC has been a great boon to Mahout.  +1 on us doing it.  Note, committers should subscribe to [hidden email] to get on the list to coordinate efforts, as the ASF only gets a certain number of slots.

Ah good to know! thanks grant!

On Mon, Jan 24, 2011 at 11:04 PM, Michael Busch <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Oh my god, Uwe, I was hoping you would never write a "sophisticated™
> backwards® compatibility layer" again!

LOL - we all did :)