Lucene for Sentiment Analysis

Aaron Schon
Hello, I was interested to learn about using Lucene for text analytics work such as for Sentiment Analysis. Has anyone done work along these lines? if so, could you share your approach, experiences, accuracy levels obtained etc.

Thanks,
AS

Re: Lucene for Sentiment Analysis

Srikant Jakilinki-3
Hi

I remember doing it once a long time ago (Lucene 1.9) but could not go
anywhere since term vectors and such were not easily accessible then.

However, if text analytics is what you are after, perhaps you already
know about LingPipe. I used it for named entity extraction (enhanced
with some TF-IDF statistical information from Lucene Index) and it
worked well.

Maybe, you can do the same for sentiment analysis i.e. use LingPipe
capabilities but enhance it with the corpus statistics that the Lucene
index provides - and which are more powerful now.

HTH,
Srikant

Aaron Schon wrote:
> Hello, I was interested to learn about using Lucene for text analytics work such as for Sentiment Analysis. Has anyone done work along these lines? if so, could you share your approach, experiences, accuracy levels obtained etc.
>
> Thanks,
> AS

Re: Lucene for Sentiment Analysis

Vivek Balaraman
We've been working on Sentiment Analysis. We use GATE and Wordnet for the
lexical / semantic analysis and J Free Charts for the visualization. The
domain is reviews on retail banking and in general our accuracy is around
75% and recall around 25%

We tried out lingpipe as well which also gave good results.

Tx
Vivek Balaraman

On Sat, Mar 1, 2008 at 3:16 AM, Aaron Schon <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello, I was interested to learn about using Lucene for text analytics
> work such as for Sentiment Analysis. Has anyone done work along these lines?
> if so, could you share your approach, experiences, accuracy levels obtained
> etc.
>
> Thanks,
> AS

Re: Lucene for Sentiment Analysis

Aaron Schon
Thanks to those who responded. I was wondering if taking a bag of words approach might work. For example chunking the sentences to be analyzed and running a Lucene query against an index storing sentiment polarity. Has anyone had success with this approach? I do not need a super accurate system, something that is "reasonably" accurate.

Also, could you suggest good publicly available training datasets? I am aware of the Cornell Movie Reviews dataset[1]

Thanks
AS

[1] http://www.cs.cornell.edu/people/pabo/movie-review-data/

We've been working on Sentiment Analysis. We use GATE and Wordnet for the
lexical / semantic analysis and J Free Charts for the visualization. The
domain is reviews on retail banking and in general our accuracy is around
75% and recall around 25%

We tried out lingpipe as well which also gave good results.

Tx
Vivek Balaraman

On Sat, Mar 1, 2008 at 3:16 AM, Aaron Schon <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello, I was interested to learn about using Lucene for text analytics
> work such as for Sentiment Analysis. Has anyone done work along these lines?
> if so, could you share your approach, experiences, accuracy levels obtained
> etc.
>
> Thanks,
> AS

Re: Lucene for Sentiment Analysis