Lucene killing JVM

Dragan Jotanovic
Hi,
I recently upgraded to lucene 3.3 (from 3.0.3) and now my JVM keeps
crashing. I noticed that it happens when I'm closing and reopening my
index. It doesn't happen every time. Sometimes it works for days and
sometimes it crashes several times a day. Usually there is no exception
in log files, only that JVM dies and error report file is created.
Index server is running on Tomcat 6, Ubuntu server 10.04, Sun JVM 1.6.0_26
Here's two examples of error report files:
http://pastebin.com/wmQy0rw8
http://pastebin.com/TYQmyHAP

Did anyone else experience something similar? Is this a known bug in
Lucene or a JVM bug?

Dragan

Re: Lucene killing JVM

Federico Fissore
Dragan Jotanovic, il 01/09/2011 11:12, ha scritto:

> Hi,
> I recently upgraded to lucene 3.3 (from 3.0.3) and now my JVM keeps
> crashing. I noticed that it happens when I'm closing and reopening my
> index. It doesn't happen every time. Sometimes it works for days and
> sometimes it crashes several times a day. Usually there is no exception
> in log files, only that JVM dies and error report file is created.
> Index server is running on Tomcat 6, Ubuntu server 10.04, Sun JVM 1.6.0_26
> Here's two examples of error report files:
> http://pastebin.com/wmQy0rw8
> http://pastebin.com/TYQmyHAP
>
> Did anyone else experience something similar? Is this a known bug in
> Lucene or a JVM bug?

have you tried with other versions of the JVM? build _27 or openjdk?

Re: Lucene killing JVM

Dawid Weiss-2
Also, run memtest on your machine to rule out memory corruption; this
unfortunately may cause effects like the one you're describing.

Dawid

On Thu, Sep 1, 2011 at 11:21 AM, Federico Fissore <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dragan Jotanovic, il 01/09/2011 11:12, ha scritto:
>>
>> Hi,
>> I recently upgraded to lucene 3.3 (from 3.0.3) and now my JVM keeps
>> crashing. I noticed that it happens when I'm closing and reopening my
>> index. It doesn't happen every time. Sometimes it works for days and
>> sometimes it crashes several times a day. Usually there is no exception
>> in log files, only that JVM dies and error report file is created.
>> Index server is running on Tomcat 6, Ubuntu server 10.04, Sun JVM 1.6.0_26
>> Here's two examples of error report files:
>> http://pastebin.com/wmQy0rw8
>> http://pastebin.com/TYQmyHAP
>>
>> Did anyone else experience something similar? Is this a known bug in
>> Lucene or a JVM bug?
>

> have you tried with other versions of the JVM? build _27 or openjdk?

Re: Lucene killing JVM

Dragan Jotanovic
Thanks,
I will try to run memtest overnight. It is possible that this would be
the cause, because I recently added another RAM module.

On 9/1/2011 10:26 AM, Dawid Weiss wrote:

> Also, run memtest on your machine to rule out memory corruption; this
> unfortunately may cause effects like the one you're describing.
>
> Dawid
>
> On Thu, Sep 1, 2011 at 11:21 AM, Federico Fissore<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>> Dragan Jotanovic, il 01/09/2011 11:12, ha scritto:
>>> Hi,
>>> I recently upgraded to lucene 3.3 (from 3.0.3) and now my JVM keeps
>>> crashing. I noticed that it happens when I'm closing and reopening my
>>> index. It doesn't happen every time. Sometimes it works for days and
>>> sometimes it crashes several times a day. Usually there is no exception
>>> in log files, only that JVM dies and error report file is created.
>>> Index server is running on Tomcat 6, Ubuntu server 10.04, Sun JVM 1.6.0_26
>>> Here's two examples of error report files:
>>> http://pastebin.com/wmQy0rw8
>>> http://pastebin.com/TYQmyHAP
>>>
>>> Did anyone else experience something similar? Is this a known bug in
>>> Lucene or a JVM bug?
>>
>> have you tried with other versions of the JVM? build _27 or openjdk?

RE: Lucene killing JVM

Uwe Schindler

If the other suggestions for checking RAM don't help, please remove all JVM
parameters from command line like the special GC configuration:

jvm_args:
-Djava.util.logging.config.file=/var/lib/tomcat6/conf/logging.properties
-Djava.awt.headless=true -Xms4000M -Xmx4000M -XX:PermSize=400m
-XX:MaxPermSize=400m -XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC -XX:+UseParNewGC
-XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC
-Djava.util.logging.manager=org.apache.juli.ClassLoaderLogManager
-Djava.endorsed.dirs=/usr/share/tomcat6/endorsed
-Dcatalina.base=/var/lib/tomcat6 -Dcatalina.home=/usr/share/tomcat6
-Djava.io.tmpdir=/tmp/tomcat6-tmp

The first thing I looked at was if you have aggressive optimizations
enabled, but that's not the case, so you are fine :-)

Uwe

-----
Uwe Schindler
H.-H.-Meier-Allee 63, D-28213 Bremen
http://www.thetaphi.de
> I recently upgraded to lucene 3.3 (from 3.0.3) and now my JVM keeps
crashing.
> I noticed that it happens when I'm closing and reopening my index. It
doesn't
> happen every time. Sometimes it works for days and sometimes it crashes
> several times a day. Usually there is no exception in log files, only that
JVM dies
> and error report file is created.
> Index server is running on Tomcat 6, Ubuntu server 10.04, Sun JVM 1.6.0_26
> Here's two examples of error report files:
> http://pastebin.com/wmQy0rw8
> http://pastebin.com/TYQmyHAP
>
> Did anyone else experience something similar? Is this a known bug in
Lucene or
> a JVM bug?
>
> Dragan

Re: Lucene killing JVM

Dragan Jotanovic
Looks like the problem is somewhere in MMapFSDirectory. As soon as I
switched to NIOFSDirectory, JVM stopped crashing. Maybe MMapFSDirectory
shouldn't be default FSDirectory on 64bit Linux ater all?

Dragan

On 9/1/2011 11:51 AM, Uwe Schindler wrote:

> Hi,
>
> If the other suggestions for checking RAM don't help, please remove all JVM
> parameters from command line like the special GC configuration:
>
> jvm_args:
> -Djava.util.logging.config.file=/var/lib/tomcat6/conf/logging.properties
> -Djava.awt.headless=true -Xms4000M -Xmx4000M -XX:PermSize=400m
> -XX:MaxPermSize=400m -XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC -XX:+UseParNewGC
> -XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC
> -Djava.util.logging.manager=org.apache.juli.ClassLoaderLogManager
> -Djava.endorsed.dirs=/usr/share/tomcat6/endorsed
> -Dcatalina.base=/var/lib/tomcat6 -Dcatalina.home=/usr/share/tomcat6
> -Djava.io.tmpdir=/tmp/tomcat6-tmp
>
> The first thing I looked at was if you have aggressive optimizations
> enabled, but that's not the case, so you are fine :-)
>
> Uwe
>
> -----
> Uwe Schindler
> H.-H.-Meier-Allee 63, D-28213 Bremen
> http://www.thetaphi.de

Re: Lucene killing JVM

Robert Muir
Why not? its not our bug, its Oracle's bug.

Personally I would us a more stable JRE version rather than one so
new, like 1.6.0_18 or 1.6.0_19

lucidimagination.com