MatchAllDocsQuery in solr?

TomSolrList
Is there a way to do a match all docs query in solr?

I mean is there something I can put in a solr URL that will get
recognized by the SolrQueryParser as meaning a "match all"?

Why? Because I'm porting unit tests from our internal Lucene
container to Solr, and the tests usually run such a query,  upon
completion, to make sure the index is in the expected state (nothing
missing, nothing extra).

Yes, I can create a query that will match all my docs, there are a
few fields that have a relatively small range of values. I was just
looking for a standard way to do it first.

Thanks,

Tom

Re: MatchAllDocsQuery in solr?

Yonik Seeley-2
On 11/21/06, Tom <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Is there a way to do a match all docs query in solr?
>
> I mean is there something I can put in a solr URL that will get
> recognized by the SolrQueryParser as meaning a "match all"?

No, but there should be.

I've considered *:* but I haven't checked if the JavaCC grammar will
allow that through or if it would need to be modified.

Re: MatchAllDocsQuery in solr?

Chris Hostetter-3

: > I mean is there something I can put in a solr URL that will get
: > recognized by the SolrQueryParser as meaning a "match all"?
:
: No, but there should be.

if you use the uniqueKey feature, then you can do id:[* TO *] ... that
acctually works on any field to find all docs that have "a" value, but on
a uniqueKey field it by definition returns all docs since all docs have a
uniequeKey.

Re: MatchAllDocsQuery in solr?

Yonik Seeley-2

> On 11/21/06, Tom <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Is there a way to do a match all docs query in solr?
> >
> > I mean is there something I can put in a solr URL that will get
> > recognized by the SolrQueryParser as meaning a "match all"?
>
> No, but there should be.
>
> I've considered *:* but I haven't checked if the JavaCC grammar will
> allow that through or if it would need to be modified.

I looked into it quick, and it looks like the grammar may need to be
modified (i.e., one can't just override a method of QueryParser to do
this).

If you have a field that you know is in every document you can do an
open-ended range query: id[* TO *]

Re: MatchAllDocsQuery in solr?

TomSolrList
Thanks for the quick response.

I thought about a range query on the ID, but was wondering what the
implications were for a large range query. (e.g. Number of docs >
maxBooleanClauses). But this approach will work for me, as my test
indicies are generally small.

For a large data set, would it be faster to do that on a field with
fewer values (but the same number of documents)

e.g. type:[* TO *] where the type field has a small number of values.

Or does that not matter?

Thanks,

Tom

At 02:49 PM 11/21/2006, you wrote:

>: > I mean is there something I can put in a solr URL that will get
>: > recognized by the SolrQueryParser as meaning a "match all"?
>:
>: No, but there should be.
>
>if you use the uniqueKey feature, then you can do id:[* TO *] ... that
>acctually works on any field to find all docs that have "a" value, but on
>a uniqueKey field it by definition returns all docs since all docs have a
>uniequeKey.
>

>-Hoss

Re: MatchAllDocsQuery in solr?

Chris Hostetter-3

: I thought about a range query on the ID, but was wondering what the
: implications were for a large range query. (e.g. Number of docs >
: maxBooleanClauses). But this approach will work for me, as my test
: indicies are generally small.

those problems don't exist in Solr, because Solr's QueryParser uses
ConstantScoreRangeQueries by default (this is recent addition to the
default Lucene QP - but Solr has allwayy worked that way)

: For a large data set, would it be faster to do that on a field with
: fewer values (but the same number of documents)
:
: e.g. type:[* TO *] where the type field has a small number of values.
:
: Or does that not matter?

I don't think it would matter too much ... but i could be wrong.

would would be really cool is if you could say something like...

        field:[low TO high]^0  other clauses XXX^0

...and SolrIndexSearcher recognised that teh score contributions from the
range query and the XXX TermQuery weren't going to contribute to the
score, so it pulled the DocSets for them explicitly, and replaced their
spots in the orriginal query with ConstantScoreQueries containing their
DocSets ... that way they could be cached independently and reused.

Re: MatchAllDocsQuery in solr?

Chris Hostetter-3

: > I've considered *:* but I haven't checked if the JavaCC grammar will
: > allow that through or if it would need to be modified.
:
: I looked into it quick, and it looks like the grammar may need to be
: modified (i.e., one can't just override a method of QueryParser to do
: this).

we could add this to the function parser, so  _val_:ALL  could return a
MatchAllDocsQuery ?

Re: MatchAllDocsQuery in solr?

Walter Underwood, Netflix
On 11/21/06 3:19 PM, "Chris Hostetter" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> : > I've considered *:* but I haven't checked if the JavaCC grammar will
> : > allow that through or if it would need to be modified.
> :
> : I looked into it quick, and it looks like the grammar may need to be
> : modified (i.e., one can't just override a method of QueryParser to do
> : this).
>
> we could add this to the function parser, so  _val_:ALL  could return a
> MatchAllDocsQuery ?

I was thinking something similar, maybe _solr:all. At Infoseek, we
hardcoded url:http to match all docs.

wunder
--
Walter Underwood
Search Guru, Netflix

Re: MatchAllDocsQuery in solr?

Walter Lewis-2
Walter Underwood wrote:
> I was thinking something similar, maybe _solr:all. At Infoseek, we
> hardcoded url:http to match all docs.
I suppose that different data would yield different responses but a
space (" ") works on our data.

the other Walter

RE: MatchAllDocsQuery in solr?

Fuad Efendi
I was thinking about existing SOLR Admin Interface... It already provides
some kind of _solr:all, it can show at least number of documents and some
other statistics.

If we can do it XML-way, and make it more abstract and generic (facets,
terms, etc.)...

On 11/21/06 3:19 PM, "Chris Hostetter" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> : > I've considered *:* but I haven't checked if the JavaCC grammar will
> : > allow that through or if it would need to be modified.
> :
> : I looked into it quick, and it looks like the grammar may need to be
> : modified (i.e., one can't just override a method of QueryParser to do
> : this).
>
> we could add this to the function parser, so  _val_:ALL  could return a
> MatchAllDocsQuery ?

I was thinking something similar, maybe _solr:all. At Infoseek, we
hardcoded url:http to match all docs.

wunder
--
Walter Underwood
Search Guru, Netflix

RE: MatchAllDocsQuery in solr?

Fuad Efendi
>Is there a way to do a match all docs query in solr?
Why do you need to perform full index search in order to find all indexed
documents?
We need additional XML-Admin-API, but it is different type of a 'query in
solr' - no need for analyzer, tokenizer, etc.

Re: MatchAllDocsQuery in solr?

Yonik Seeley-2
> I looked into it quick, and it looks like the grammar may need to be
> modified (i.e., one can't just override a method of QueryParser to do
> this).

Done, but not yet committed in Lucene:

At 03:18 PM 11/21/2006, Hoss wrote:

>It would would be really cool is if you could say something like...
>
>         field:[low TO high]^0  other clauses XXX^0
>
>...and SolrIndexSearcher recognised that teh score contributions from the
>range query and the XXX TermQuery weren't going to contribute to the
>score, so it pulled the DocSets for them explicitly, and replaced their
>spots in the orriginal query with ConstantScoreQueries containing their
>DocSets ... that way they could be cached independently and reused.

Just checking my understanding here.

Right now, if I have ranges that I don't want to affect the score,
but I would like to have cached, I should use Filter Queries, right?
(SolrParams.FQ)

Thanks,

Tom

Re: MatchAllDocsQuery in solr?

Chris Hostetter-3

: >It would would be really cool is if you could say something like...
: >
: >         field:[low TO high]^0  other clauses XXX^0
: >
: >...and SolrIndexSearcher recognised that teh score contributions from the
: >range query and the XXX TermQuery weren't going to contribute to the
: >score, so it pulled the DocSets for them explicitly, and replaced their
: >spots in the orriginal query with ConstantScoreQueries containing their
: >DocSets ... that way they could be cached independently and reused.

: Right now, if I have ranges that I don't want to affect the score,
: but I would like to have cached, I should use Filter Queries, right?
: (SolrParams.FQ)

Right, that way they get cached independently, but that doesn't help the
"match all docs" case where you *need* a large general query clause to be
inlcuded in your main query to positively select things for you ... i was
hypothosizing that some benefit might be gained in the long run by making
the QueryParser a little smarter so hat it could (in essence) figure out
the some FQs based on boost values, but still elave hem in the main query
using Scorers that rely on the cached DocSet to decide what matches,
instead of re-executing the work over and over for each variation.

RE: MatchAllDocsQuery in solr?

Fuad Efendi
Workaround
==========

Define a field <field name="match_all">abcd</field> with constant value
'abcd' for all documents (choose value not listed in any 'stop-word' etc.).
Lucene query 'scan_all:abcd' will retrieve 'all' documents.
Enjoy!

Re: MatchAllDocsQuery in solr?

Yonik Seeley-2
FYI, I committed the Lucene patch that allows the *:* syntax today.
It will be available in Solr when we do another lucene sync-up.

RE: MatchAllDocsQuery in solr?

Fuad Efendi
Sorry,

Fuad wrote:
>Define a field <field name="match_all">abcd</field> with constant value
>'abcd' for all documents (choose value not listed in any 'stop-word' etc.).
>Lucene query 'match_all:abcd' will retrieve 'all' documents.
(scan_all was a typo)

Thanks!