Migrate Solr helm chart into apache/lucene-solr repo

Migrate Solr helm chart into apache/lucene-solr repo

LEE Ween Jiann

Hi,

Since helm stable repo is deprecated, it’s taking a lot of time to get the pull requests approved.

Also the helm chart for Solr has to go somewhere soon, refer to https://github.com/helm/charts#deprecation-timeline.

Would you guys be adopting it?

Re: Migrate Solr helm chart into apache/lucene-solr repo

david.w.smiley@gmail.com
Hi Lee,

We're currently in-process of adopting Solr's Docker image.  I confess I've never used Helm so I have no clue how it's maintained, tested, etc and so I'll leave this sort of decision to others here.

BTW I went to that link about Helm deprecation and AFAICT it seems about 2.x version of Helm and not about 3.x.  See https://helm.sh/blog/2019-10-22-helm-2150-released/#helm-2-support-plan too.  Am I missing something?

~ David Smiley
Apache Lucene/Solr Search Developer

On Fri, Jan 31, 2020 at 1:09 AM LEE Ween Jiann <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi,

Since helm stable repo is deprecated, it’s taking a lot of time to get the pull requests approved.

Also the helm chart for Solr has to go somewhere soon, refer to https://github.com/helm/charts#deprecation-timeline.

Would you guys be adopting it?

Re: Migrate Solr helm chart into apache/lucene-solr repo

Marcus Eagan
David, I think he is referring to the note here:

All the best,

Marcus

Marcus Eagan

Re: Migrate Solr helm chart into apache/lucene-solr repo

LEE Ween Jiann
Hi David,

A Helm chart is a bunch of yaml files that specifies all the necessary configuration to get an application up and running on Kubernetes which sits on top of Docker. And Helm is a program that “installs” this chart.

For instance, to run a Solr cluster on Docker, you would need to first launch zookeeper containers, forward some ports, and then get a working cluster by launching multiple Solr containers pointing to the zookeepers.

The Helm chart takes away all the fuss by allowing you to launch a full Solr cluster including everything said above with a single command.

You can find the specific Helm chart for Solr here: https://github.com/helm/charts/tree/master/incubator/solr

The GitHub repository where this chart’s source code is currently at is managed by the Helm team and will be marked obsolete in Nov 2020. It means that no more PR and Issues can be raised for Solr and other charts in that repo.

They want someone to take ownership of the charts, and I think the best place is for the Solr chart is with the Solr team.

All charts there will also be delisted in May 2020 (very soon) from Helm Hub https://hub.helm.sh/, the “maven central for Helm charts”.

It’s best a new home can be found for Solr chart soon.

There are other Apache charts in that repo as well such as Hadoop and Zookeeper and those need to go somewhere as well.

Cheers,
WJ

Marcus Eagan