Migrating to Solr

tommymolto
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: Migrating to Solr

Lukáš Vlček
Hi,

I think there were some links about FAST to Solr migration published
recently. See:
http://blog.isabel-drost.de/index.php/archives/110/moving-from-fast-to-solr
However, as of writing those links are not working, not sure what happend...

Regards,
Lukas

On Tue, Nov 24, 2009 at 2:55 PM, Tommy Molto <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm new at Solr and i need to make a "test pilot" of a migration from Fast
> ESP to Apache Solr, anyone had this experience before?
>

> Att,

Re: Migrating to Solr

Grant Ingersoll-2
I've done been involved with a fair share of these migrations now, what are you looking for?

On Nov 24, 2009, at 8:55 AM, Tommy Molto wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm new at Solr and i need to make a "test pilot" of a migration from Fast
> ESP to Apache Solr, anyone had this experience before?
>

> Att,

--------------------------
Grant Ingersoll
http://www.lucidimagination.com/

Search the Lucene ecosystem (Lucene/Solr/Nutch/Mahout/Tika/Droids) using Solr/Lucene:
http://www.lucidimagination.com/search

Re: Migrating to Solr

Shashi Kant-2
Here is a link that might be helpful:

http://sesat.no/moving-from-fast-to-solr-review.html

The site is choc-a-bloc with great information on their migration
experience.

On Tue, Nov 24, 2009 at 8:55 AM, Tommy Molto <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm new at Solr and i need to make a "test pilot" of a migration from Fast
> ESP to Apache Solr, anyone had this experience before?
>

> Att,

Re: Migrating to Solr

tommymolto
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: Migrating to Solr

Lance Norskog-2
Collections in FAST do not exist in Solr. A FAST collection can be
implemented in Solr using facets or shards. The collection abstraction
in FAST is actually more shard-like in semantics: it is a separate
top-level set of content. This has strong ramifications for relevance:
if collections have the same relevance "statistical footprint", they
can go in the same shard. If they have different relevance
characteristics they should go in different shards.

Example: if book collections and movie title collections share one
shard, relevance calculations are completely bogus. They should go
into 2 separate shards and with different search tuning.

I did one conversion during Solr 1.2. I would up mass-editing all of
the XML data files into Solr'd XML input format. I cannot recommend
this technique.

(Note: since FAST charges by query, doing a deep walk and uploading to
Solr was not financially feasible.)

In general, expect to do a test conversion and then redesign your
schema and search strategies for your "real" conversion. Solr has a
lot of subtleties.

Lance Norskog

Re: Migrating to Solr

Otis Gospodnetic-2