Modify ZK ensemble string in a running SolrCloud?

Modify ZK ensemble string in a running SolrCloud?

Bram Van Dam
Is it possible to change the ZK ensemble without restarting the entire
SolrCloud? Specifically adding or removing a ZK instance from the
ensemble. I'm assuming the answer is no, as far as I can tell the only
place where this is configured is the zkHost parameter, which is passed
to Solr as a JVM argument.

But I figured I'd ask anyway. Thanks for any insights!

 - Bram

Re: Modify ZK ensemble string in a running SolrCloud?

Erick Erickson
As of Solr 8.2, Solr is distributed with ZooKeeper 3.5.5 (will be 3.5.7 in Solr 8.6), which allows “dynamic reconfiguration”. If you’re running an earlier version of Zookeeper, then no you’ll have to restart to change ZK nodes.

WARNING: I have not personally tried dynamic reconfiguration with Solr, so I don’t have any advice on exactly how to make that work or any “gotchas”…

Best,
Erick

On 23/03/2020 14:17, Erick Erickson wrote:
> As of Solr 8.2, Solr is distributed with ZooKeeper 3.5.5 (will be 3.5.7 in Solr 8.6), which allows “dynamic reconfiguration”. If you’re running an earlier version of Zookeeper, then no you’ll have to restart to change ZK nodes.

Thanks Erick, much appreciated. I guess I'll have to settle for a
restart for the time being.

 - Bram