MoreLikeThis/These and Queries

Andrew Ingram-4
Hi,

I'm using Solr's MoreLikeThese functionality for a rudimentary related
products system, but we need it to only return related products that
match certain criteria. For example, we don't want to see any related
products that are discontinued. I'm having difficulty figuring out if
there's a way to filter/query on the MLT result.

Regards,
Andrew Ingram

Re: MoreLikeThis/These and Queries

Clas Rydergren
Hi,

Have you tried to add a filter directly to the /solr/mlt?q=-request?
Try to add "&fq=available:yes", and see if you can limit the
MoreLikeThis-documents to documents that has "yes" in the
"available"-field. I have had some success with this approach.

/Clas, Frisim.com

On Mon, Jan 19, 2009 at 2:49 PM, Andrew Ingram <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm using Solr's MoreLikeThese functionality for a rudimentary related
> products system, but we need it to only return related products that match
> certain criteria. For example, we don't want to see any related products
> that are discontinued. I'm having difficulty figuring out if there's a way
> to filter/query on the MLT result.
>
> Regards,
> Andrew Ingram

Re: MoreLikeThis/These and Queries

Andrew Ingram-4
I think the problem might be that I'm using the standard handler with
the mlt:true parameter. The MLT handler doesn't seem to be mentioned in
my config file, do you know how I can enable it?

Regards,
Andrew Ingram

Clas Rydergren wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Have you tried to add a filter directly to the /solr/mlt?q=-request?
> Try to add "&fq=available:yes", and see if you can limit the
> MoreLikeThis-documents to documents that has "yes" in the
> "available"-field. I have had some success with this approach.
>
> /Clas, Frisim.com

Re: MoreLikeThis/These and Queries

Clas Rydergren
Hi,

Even if you use the /solr/select-version of MLT, I guess that just
adding the fq-parameter may work.

If you would like to add the MLT request handler, add something like

<requestHandler name="mlt" class="solr.MoreLikeThisHandler">
    <lst name="defaults">
      <str name="mlt.fl">title,data</str>
      <int name="mlt.mindf">1</int>
    </lst>
  </requestHandler>

as a request handler plugin in your solrconfig.xml file. If you are
running on Tomcat you will have to make adjustments to you
web.xml-file.

/Clas, Frisim.com

On Mon, Jan 19, 2009 at 3:15 PM, Andrew Ingram <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I think the problem might be that I'm using the standard handler with the
> mlt:true parameter. The MLT handler doesn't seem to be mentioned in my
> config file, do you know how I can enable it?
>
> Regards,
> Andrew Ingram
>
> Clas Rydergren wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Have you tried to add a filter directly to the /solr/mlt?q=-request?
>> Try to add "&fq=available:yes", and see if you can limit the
>> MoreLikeThis-documents to documents that has "yes" in the
>> "available"-field. I have had some success with this approach.
>>
>> /Clas, Frisim.com

Re: MoreLikeThis/These and Queries

Andrew Ingram-4
Thanks, I'll try this.

I tried using the /select version and the problem was that fq applies
only to the original query rather than the mlt results which are
effectively separate queries.

Clas Rydergren wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Even if you use the /solr/select-version of MLT, I guess that just
> adding the fq-parameter may work.
>
> If you would like to add the MLT request handler, add something like
>
> <requestHandler name="mlt" class="solr.MoreLikeThisHandler">
>     <lst name="defaults">
>       <str name="mlt.fl">title,data</str>
>       <int name="mlt.mindf">1</int>
>     </lst>
>   </requestHandler>
>
> as a request handler plugin in your solrconfig.xml file. If you are
> running on Tomcat you will have to make adjustments to you
> web.xml-file.
>
> /Clas, Frisim.com

Re: MoreLikeThis/These and Queries

Clas Rydergren
Ah, I see. I have, more or less, only used the MoreLikeThis (single
document) version, and the fq-filter is then applied to the (only)
query that is made. Sorry.

/Clas