Multi Lingual indexing

NepaliManchhe
Hi,

I am new to Lucene and got stuck while trying to accomplish a multi lingual indexing. Suppose i have two indexes, one English and one French and i try to index something like a French-to-English dictionary, how do i add the french words to the french index and the english words to the english index so that the indexes dont get garbled as in case when i add all the words to one of the indexes? Could anyone help me out with it? Thanks a lot.

Ayush

RE: Multi Lingual indexing

steve_rowe
Hi Ayush,

You will get a quicker/better response if you use the [hidden email] list instead of the [hidden email] list - few people are subscribed here.

On 08/22/2008 at 3:03 AM, NepaliManchhe wrote:
> I am new to Lucene and got stuck while trying to accomplish a
> multi lingual indexing. Suppose i have two indexes, one
> English and one French and i try to index something like a
> French-to-English dictionary, how do i add the french words
> to the french index and the english words to the english index
> so that the indexes dont get garbled as in case when i add all
> the words to one of the indexes?

I'm confused - why is it a problem to "add the french words to the french index and the english words to the english index"?  Haven't you already done this?

When you add all the words (I assume you mean words from both languages) to one of the indexes, what is the nature of the "garbled" words?

I think if you give more specifics about what you're doing and what you want to do, it would help.

For example: once you're built these indexes, what will you do with them?  Are you trying to put words from both languages into a single field?

Steve