Multiple Solr instances using same ZooKeepers

Multiple Solr instances using same ZooKeepers

Gell-Holleron, Daniel
Hi there,

We are in the process of deploying Solr Cloud with CDCR.

I would like to know if multiple instances of Solr (4 Solr servers for one instance, 4 for another instance) can use the same ZooKeeper servers?

This would prevent us from needing multiple ZooKeepers servers to serve each instance of Solr.

Regards,

Daniel

Re: Multiple Solr instances using same ZooKeepers

Colvin Cowie
You can specify a different "chroot" directory path in zookeeper for each
cloud
https://lucene.apache.org/solr/guide/8_5/setting-up-an-external-zookeeper-ensemble.html#using-a-chroot

On Tue, 2 Jun 2020 at 09:33, Gell-Holleron, Daniel <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> We are in the process of deploying Solr Cloud with CDCR.
>
> I would like to know if multiple instances of Solr (4 Solr servers for one
> instance, 4 for another instance) can use the same ZooKeeper servers?
>
> This would prevent us from needing multiple ZooKeepers servers to serve
> each instance of Solr.
>
> Regards,
>
> Daniel

RE: Multiple Solr instances using same ZooKeepers

Gell-Holleron, Daniel
Many thanks for this information!

On Tue, 2 Jun 2020 at 09:33, Gell-Holleron, Daniel < [hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> We are in the process of deploying Solr Cloud with CDCR.
>
> I would like to know if multiple instances of Solr (4 Solr servers for
> one instance, 4 for another instance) can use the same ZooKeeper servers?
>
> This would prevent us from needing multiple ZooKeepers servers to
> serve each instance of Solr.
>
> Regards,
>
> Daniel

Re: Multiple Solr instances using same ZooKeepers

Walter Underwood
If your clusters are able to use the same Zookeeper, then they are in the same data center (or AWS region), so you should not need CDCR. That is for clusters in different data centers. Also, CDCR has some known problems.

What are you trying to solve with CDCR? There may be a better way to solve it.

wunder
Walter Underwood

> On Jun 2, 2020, at 6:35 AM, Gell-Holleron, Daniel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Many thanks for this information!

Hi Walter

The plan is that we'll have 3 Solr Clusters using the same ZooKeepers on Data Centre A. Then each Cluster will replicate across (using Bi-Directional CDCR) to Data Centre B.

The purpose of CDCR is for DR and also because we switch between Data Centre's on a regular basis so having bi-directional works better for us.

I'm working with 7.7.1 version of Solr and it's installed on Windows. So far I've not had much success with CDCR. Data only seems to replicate to the other cluster when I restart the Solr service.

Thanks,

Daniel