Multiple indexes...

escher2k
I looked at the forums and found that it is not possible to have multiple indexes associated with one app server instance ? Is the best way to run multiple app server instances ? It would be a nice enhancement to support
parameterization of the index to be used.

Re: Multiple indexes...

Erik Hatcher
What is the advantage to running multiple indexes from a single Solr
instance over multiple Solr instances each serving a single index?

        Erik

On Dec 21, 2006, at 3:26 PM, escher2k wrote:

> I looked at the forums and found that it is not possible to have
> multiple
> indexes associated with one app server instance ? Is the best way
> to run
> multiple app server instances ? It would be a nice enhancement to
> support
> parameterization of the index to be used.

Re: Multiple indexes...

escher2k
There would have to be only one app server running on a single port and adding new indexes
is pretty easy. Currently we have four separate indexes which we run off of Lucene using Jakarta
and the index to use is read from a config file. This definitely seems easier from a management perspective.

Erik Hatcher wrote
What is the advantage to running multiple indexes from a single Solr
instance over multiple Solr instances each serving a single index?

        Erik

On Dec 21, 2006, at 3:26 PM, escher2k wrote:

> I looked at the forums and found that it is not possible to have
> multiple
> indexes associated with one app server instance ? Is the best way
> to run
> multiple app server instances ? It would be a nice enhancement to
> support
> parameterization of the index to be used.

Re: Multiple indexes...

Ryan McKinley
You can run multiple webapps on a single app server (running on a single
port).  Just give each index a seperate context path.  for example, you
could have:

http://xyz:8765/index1/select/?q=xxx
http://xyz:8765/index2/select/?q=xxx
http://xyz:8765/index3/select/?q=xxx

On 12/21/06, escher2k <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I looked at the forums and found that it is not possible to have multiple
> indexes associated with one app server instance ? Is the best way to run
> multiple app server instances ? It would be a nice enhancement to support
> parameterization of the index to be used.

Re: Multiple indexes...

escher2k
I guess the updates can also be done the same way then. So, I just have
to create multiple context paths with different schema.xml files in each ? Thanks.

ryan mckinley wrote

On 12/21/06, escher2k <escher2k@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I looked at the forums and found that it is not possible to have multiple
> indexes associated with one app server instance ? Is the best way to run
> multiple app server instances ? It would be a nice enhancement to support
> parameterization of the index to be used.

Re: Multiple indexes...

Ryan McKinley
the wiki shows how to configure everything.  see "Multiple Solr Webapps" on:

http://wiki.apache.org/solr/SolrTomcat
http://wiki.apache.org/solr/SolrJetty
http://wiki.apache.org/solr/SolrResin

On 12/21/06, escher2k <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I guess the updates can also be done the same way then. So, I just have
> to create multiple context paths with different schema.xml files in each ?
> Thanks.
>

> ryan mckinley wrote:
> >
> > You can run multiple webapps on a single app server (running on a single
> > port).  Just give each index a seperate context path.  for example, you
> > could have:
> >
> > http://xyz:8765/index1/select/?q=xxx
> > http://xyz:8765/index2/select/?q=xxx
> > http://xyz:8765/index3/select/?q=xxx
> >

> > On 12/21/06, escher2k <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >>

> >> I looked at the forums and found that it is not possible to have
> multiple
> >> indexes associated with one app server instance ? Is the best way to
> run
> >> multiple app server instances ? It would be a nice enhancement to
> support
> >> parameterization of the index to be used.

Re: Multiple indexes...

Chris Hostetter-3

: I guess the updates can also be done the same way then. So, I just have
: to create multiple context paths with different schema.xml files in each ?
: Thanks.

you wouldn't even need idffernet schema.xml files ... they could all be
symlinks to the same schema.xml, only the data directories would need to
be different.

Re: Multiple indexes...

Bill Au
While it may be easier from a management perspective, there are also
disadvantages
with runnning multiple indices within a single appserver port:

- they are sharing the memory of a single JVM so the size of the cache has to
be smaller then running a singler instance per appserver instance

- a sinlge point of failure for all indices

Bill