Multivalued vs single valued

Paul Terray
Hi,

Using a lot of dynamic fields, I’d like to simplify the field types. I had a
question on this: is there an advantage to have a field declared as single
valued, as opposed to multi-valued?

Thanks

Paul Terray

Consultant Avant-Vente

SOLLAN

27, bis rue du Progrès
93100 Montreuil - France
Tel :  +33 (0)1 48 51 15 44
Fax : +33 (0)1 48 51 15 48
 <mailto:[hidden email]> [hidden email]
 <http://www.sollan.com> www.sollan.com

STRICTLY PERSONAL AND CONFIDENTIAL. This email may contain confidential and
proprietary material for the sole use of the intended recipient. Any review
or distribution by others is strictly prohibited. If you are not the
intended recipient please contact the sender and delete all copies.

 <http://www.sollan.com/signature_mail/lien_signature.php> SOLLAN

Re: Multivalued vs single valued

Yonik Seeley-2
On 9/19/06, Paul Terray <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Using a lot of dynamic fields, I'd like to simplify the field types. I had a
> question on this: is there an advantage to have a field declared as single
> valued, as opposed to multi-valued?

The response of single valued fields is smaller (no encapsulating
array), you can sort on it if you need to, and (upcoming)
optimizations for faceted browsing on a single-valued field are
easier.

From the perspective of pure full-text searching only, there is no advantage.

-Yonik