Need some help on solr versions (LTS vs stable)

Need some help on solr versions (LTS vs stable)

suyog joshi
Hi Team,

Can you please guide us on below queries for solr versions ?

1. Are there any major differences (for security, platform stability etc)
between  current LTS and Stable Solr version ?
2. How long a version remains in LTS before becoming EoL ?
3. How frequently LTS version gets changed ?
3. What will be the next LTS version for Solr(current is 7.7.x) ?

Kindly advice, you guidance will be really helpful for us to select correct
version in our infra.

Regards,
Suyog Joshi

Sent from: https://lucene.472066.n3.nabble.com/Solr-User-f472068.html

Re: Need some help on solr versions (LTS vs stable)

Erick Erickson
It’s variable. The policy is that we try very hard to maintain one major version back-compat. So generally, if you start with, say, 7x upgrading to 8x should be relatively straightforward. However, you will _not_ be able to upgrade from 7x to 9x, you must re-index everything from scratch.

The development process is this:

- People work on “master”, the future 9.0

- most changes are back-ported to the current one-less-major-version, in this case 8x. Periodically (on no fixed schedule, but usually 3-4 times a year) a new 8x version is released. Some changes to master are not backported as they are major changes that would be difficult/impossible to backport.

- at some point, especially when enough non-backported changes have accumulated, we decide to release 9.0 and everything bumps up one, i.e. master is the future 10.0, work is done there and backported to the stable 9x

- In the current situation, where work is done on the future 9.0 and 8.x is the stable branch, there will be _no_ work done on 7x excepting egregious problems which at this point are pretty much exclusively security vulnerabilities.

- As I said, it’s variable. I expect 9.0 to happen sometime in the first half of next year, but there are no solid plans for that, it’s just how I personally think things are shaping up.

- Finally, the transition from the last release of a major version to the first release of a new major version is _usually_ not a huge deal. New major releases are free to remove deprecated methods and processes though, so that’s one thing to watch for.

So in a nutshell, if you are starting a new project you have two choices:

- use the latest 8.x. that’ll get you the longest period when fixes will be made to that branch, although development will taper off on that branch as 9.0 gets released. A variant here is to start with 8x, and if 9.0 gets released before go-live, try upgrading part way through the project.

- If your time-frame is long enough, start with master (the future 9.0) which you’ll have to compile yourself, understanding that
  - it may be unstable
  - the timeframe for an official release is not fixed.

> On Nov 6, 2019, at 1:00 AM, suyog joshi <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi Team,
>
> Can you please guide us on below queries for solr versions ?
>
> 1. Are there any major differences (for security, platform stability etc)
> between  current LTS and Stable Solr version ?
> 2. How long a version remains in LTS before becoming EoL ?
> 3. How frequently LTS version gets changed ?
> 3. What will be the next LTS version for Solr(current is 7.7.x) ?
>

> Kindly advice, you guidance will be really helpful for us to select correct
> version in our infra.
>
> Regards,
> Suyog Joshi

> Sent from: https://lucene.472066.n3.nabble.com/Solr-User-f472068.html

Re: Need some help on solr versions (LTS vs stable)

suyog joshi
Hi Erick,

Thank you so much for sharing detailed information, indeed its really
helpful for us to plan out the things. Really appreciate your guidance.

So we can say its better to go with latest stable version (8.x) instead of
7.x, which is LTS right now, but can soon become EOL post launching of 9.x
sometime early next year.

Kindly correct me, if missed out something !

Will reach out to you/community, in case any additional info is needed.

Once again, thanks much !!

Regards,
Suyog Joshi

Sent from: https://lucene.472066.n3.nabble.com/Solr-User-f472068.html

Re: Need some help on solr versions (LTS vs stable)

Erick Erickson
Pretty much correct. The only change I’d make is that 7x is not actively being supported in the sense that only seriously critical bugs will be addressed.   You’ll note that the last release of 7x was 7.7.2 in early June. Increased functionality, speedups, etc won’t be back-ported.

So I can’t think of any reason to go with 7x over 8x if you’re starting something new.

Best,
Erick

> On Nov 6, 2019, at 11:58 AM, suyog joshi <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi Erick,
>
> Thank you so much for sharing detailed information, indeed its really
> helpful for us to plan out the things. Really appreciate your guidance.
>
> So we can say its better to go with latest stable version (8.x) instead of
> 7.x, which is LTS right now, but can soon become EOL post launching of 9.x
> sometime early next year.
>
> Kindly correct me, if missed out something !
>
> Will reach out to you/community, in case any additional info is needed.
>
> Once again, thanks much !!
>
> Regards,
> Suyog Joshi

> Sent from: https://lucene.472066.n3.nabble.com/Solr-User-f472068.html

Re: Need some help on solr versions (LTS vs stable)

Shawn Heisey-2
On 11/6/2019 9:58 AM, suyog joshi wrote:
> So we can say its better to go with latest stable version (8.x) instead of
> 7.x, which is LTS right now, but can soon become EOL post launching of 9.x
> sometime early next year.

I don't know where you got the idea that 7.x is LTS ... but I do not
think that is correct.  I don't think we have a version that could be
called LTS, at least not the way I have seen the term used.

It's true that 7.x currently is in a state where it is unlikely to have
its feature list changed, which could be seen as stability.  But chances
are that if you DO run into a bug with a 7.x version, the fix for that
problem will probably only make it into the current stable branch, so
you'd be upgrading to at least an 8.x version in order to obtain the fix.

Changing to an LTS model would mean changes to the way development is
done on the project.  Change is always scary.  I've asked on the dev
list about this.

Thanks,
Shawn

Re: Need some help on solr versions (LTS vs stable)

Adam Walz
The LTS idea I believe comes from the solr downloads page where 7.7.x is
designated as LTS. https://lucene.apache.org/solr/downloads.html

--
Adam Walz