New Dev

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

New Dev

Rahul Yadav
Hi All ,

I have just joined(new dev) here.
I have had some experience in Information Retrieval and Search and would like to contribute to the community.
as i am just setting up , it would be helpful if there is any task/bug/(Starter Level) that i can work on.


Regards
Rahul
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: New Dev

Erick Erickson
Here’s the Solr JIRA project: https://issues.apache.org/jira/projects/SOLR/issues?filter=allopenissues

That will be _totally_ overwhelming. There’s some efforts to tag jiras, you might play around with various filters and start there.

Here’s one idea. The javadocs are spotty. Studying the code long enough to add some javadocs to selected classes would be a great help. Basically, pick your class and go for it ;).

That’s still an overwhelming number of classes, but if you spend a bit of time looking through
https://lucene.apache.org/solr/8_3_0/solr-core/index.html for something that looks under-documented and start with that, whatever catches your interest, that’s one place to start.

There are also a number of suggestions here: https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/solr/HowToContribute

All help welcome!
Erick

> On Nov 23, 2019, at 3:53 PM, Rahul Yadav <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi All ,
>
> I have just joined(new dev) here.
> I have had some experience in Information Retrieval and Search and would like to contribute to the community.
> as i am just setting up , it would be helpful if there is any task/bug/(Starter Level) that i can work on.
>
>
> Regards
> Rahul
> https://www.linkedin.com/in/rahul-y-26b6b1142/


---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: New Dev

Rahul Yadav
Thanks Erick .
Will start with the docs as you suggested.

Regards
Rahul

On Sat 23 Nov 2019 at 22:19, Erick Erickson <[hidden email]> wrote:
Here’s the Solr JIRA project: https://issues.apache.org/jira/projects/SOLR/issues?filter=allopenissues

That will be _totally_ overwhelming. There’s some efforts to tag jiras, you might play around with various filters and start there.

Here’s one idea. The javadocs are spotty. Studying the code long enough to add some javadocs to selected classes would be a great help. Basically, pick your class and go for it ;).

That’s still an overwhelming number of classes, but if you spend a bit of time looking through
https://lucene.apache.org/solr/8_3_0/solr-core/index.html for something that looks under-documented and start with that, whatever catches your interest, that’s one place to start.

There are also a number of suggestions here: https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/solr/HowToContribute

All help welcome!
Erick

> On Nov 23, 2019, at 3:53 PM, Rahul Yadav <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi All ,
>
> I have just joined(new dev) here.
> I have had some experience in Information Retrieval and Search and would like to contribute to the community.
> as i am just setting up , it would be helpful if there is any task/bug/(Starter Level) that i can work on.
>
>
> Regards
> Rahul
> https://www.linkedin.com/in/rahul-y-26b6b1142/


---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: New Dev

Bram Van Dam
> Will start with the docs as you suggested.

To add to that, I recently created a "top ten" list of files that seem
important and have no top level Javadoc. These might be a useful place
to start.


solr/core/src/java/org/apache/solr/core/CoreContainer.java
solr/core/src/java/org/apache/solr/handler/admin/CollectionsHandler.java
solr/core/src/java/org/apache/solr/update/processor/DistributedUpdateProcessor.java
solr/core/src/java/org/apache/solr/handler/StreamHandler.java
solr/core/src/java/org/apache/solr/cloud/ElectionContext.java
solr/core/src/java/org/apache/solr/handler/component/RealTimeGetComponent.java
solr/core/src/java/org/apache/solr/update/DefaultSolrCoreState.java
solr/core/src/java/org/apache/solr/search/JoinQParserPlugin.java
solr/core/src/java/org/apache/solr/handler/component/HttpShardHandlerFactory.java
solr/core/src/java/org/apache/solr/handler/SolrConfigHandler.java

I've been meaning to add an ant target so checkstyle can detect these
automatically, but I haven't gotten around to figuring out how to add a
dependency to the build.

 - Bram

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: New Dev

david.w.smiley@gmail.com
I suggest you look at the Gradle build, which is expected to be committed/merged soon.  Don't waste your time on the Ant build.

~ David Smiley
Apache Lucene/Solr Search Developer


On Sun, Nov 24, 2019 at 9:24 AM Bram Van Dam <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Will start with the docs as you suggested.

To add to that, I recently created a "top ten" list of files that seem
important and have no top level Javadoc. These might be a useful place
to start.


solr/core/src/java/org/apache/solr/core/CoreContainer.java
solr/core/src/java/org/apache/solr/handler/admin/CollectionsHandler.java
solr/core/src/java/org/apache/solr/update/processor/DistributedUpdateProcessor.java
solr/core/src/java/org/apache/solr/handler/StreamHandler.java
solr/core/src/java/org/apache/solr/cloud/ElectionContext.java
solr/core/src/java/org/apache/solr/handler/component/RealTimeGetComponent.java
solr/core/src/java/org/apache/solr/update/DefaultSolrCoreState.java
solr/core/src/java/org/apache/solr/search/JoinQParserPlugin.java
solr/core/src/java/org/apache/solr/handler/component/HttpShardHandlerFactory.java
solr/core/src/java/org/apache/solr/handler/SolrConfigHandler.java

I've been meaning to add an ant target so checkstyle can detect these
automatically, but I haven't gotten around to figuring out how to add a
dependency to the build.

 - Bram