New branch and feature freeze for Lucene/Solr 8.4.0

12

New branch and feature freeze for Lucene/Solr 8.4.0

Adrien Grand
NOTICE:

Branch branch_8_4 has been cut and versions updated to 8.5 on stable branch.

Please observe the normal rules:

* No new features may be committed to the branch.
* Documentation patches, build patches and serious bug fixes may be
  committed to the branch. However, you should submit all patches you
  want to commit to Jira first to give others the chance to review
  and possibly vote against the patch. Keep in mind that it is our
  main intention to keep the branch as stable as possible.
* All patches that are intended for the branch should first be committed
  to the unstable branch, merged into the stable branch, and then into
  the current release branch.
* Normal unstable and stable branch development may continue as usual.
  However, if you plan to commit a big change to the unstable branch
  while the branch feature freeze is in effect, think twice: can't the
  addition wait a couple more days? Merges of bug fixes into the branch
  may become more difficult.
* Only Jira issues with Fix version 8.4 and priority "Blocker" will delay
  a release candidate build.

Adrien

RE: New branch and feature freeze for Lucene/Solr 8.4.0

Uwe Schindler

I enabled the Jenkins jobs on Policeman Jenkins.

Uwe

-----

Uwe Schindler

Achterdiek 19, D-28357 Bremen

https://www.thetaphi.de

Adrien

Adrien

Re: New branch and feature freeze for Lucene/Solr 8.4.0

Andrzej Białecki-2
Adrien,
Jenkins discovered a bug in my recent fix for SOLR-13975 (see https://jenkins.thetaphi.de/job/Lucene-Solr-8.x-Windows/591/), I’m testing a fix and should be able to commit it in an hour or so. I’d like to merge it to branch_8_4.

Adrien

Adrien

Adrien

Re: New branch and feature freeze for Lucene/Solr 8.4.0

Ishan Chattopadhyaya
Hi Adrien,
I meant to include the following for the release branch, but it was
already cut by the time I backported to branch_8x and I didn't realize
it at the time. May I backport them now?

SOLR-13978 Remove bloat from default configset
SOLR-14071 Untrusted configsets shouldn't be allowed to use <lib> directive
SOLR-14065 Deprecate Velocity

I also wish to add the following deprecations into 8.4.

SOLR-14067 Deprecate StatelessScriptUpdateProcessor
SOLR-14066 Deprecate DIH
SOLR-14070 Deprecate CloudSolrClient's ZKHost constructor
SOLR-14072 Deprecate plugin loading using runtimelib

Please let me know if that is fine by you, and I'll do this soon. I
think it should not affect the stability of the release in any way.
All of these deprecations are important for security purposes, besides
making Solr more maintainable.

Thanks and regards,
Ishan

On Fri, Dec 13, 2019 at 3:47 AM Andrzej Białecki <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Done.
>
> On 12 Dec 2019, at 18:23, Adrien Grand <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Thank you Andrzej. I noticed my initial suggestion for the RC date falls on Saturday, so I'll build on Monday instead. This will give some more CI cycles to the recent changes that have been merged.
>
> On Thu, Dec 12, 2019 at 6:14 PM Andrzej Białecki <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Adrien,
>> Jenkins discovered a bug in my recent fix for SOLR-13975 (see https://jenkins.thetaphi.de/job/Lucene-Solr-8.x-Windows/591/), I’m testing a fix and should be able to commit it in an hour or so. I’d like to merge it to branch_8_4.
>>
>> On 12 Dec 2019, at 15:35, Adrien Grand <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Thanks Uwe!
>>
>> On Thu, Dec 12, 2019 at 3:33 PM Uwe Schindler <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> I enabled the Jenkins jobs on Policeman Jenkins.
>>>

>>> Uwe
>>>

>>> -----
>>>
>>> Uwe Schindler
>>>
>>> Achterdiek 19, D-28357 Bremen
>>>
>>> https://www.thetaphi.de

Yonik Seeley
Bad bug (autoscale triggers use async, so splitByPrefix does not work.) . The fix is super simple and very low risk since it's encapsulated within the block only used when splitByPrefix=true.

Re: New branch and feature freeze for Lucene/Solr 8.4.0

Ishan Chattopadhyaya
Done with these three:
SOLR-13978 Remove bloat from default configset
SOLR-14071 Untrusted configsets shouldn't be allowed to use <lib> directive
SOLR-14065 Deprecate Velocity

(First two were blockers)

On Fri, Dec 13, 2019 at 7:19 AM Ishan Chattopadhyaya
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Adrien,
> I meant to include the following for the release branch, but it was
> already cut by the time I backported to branch_8x and I didn't realize
> it at the time. May I backport them now?
>
> SOLR-13978 Remove bloat from default configset
> SOLR-14071 Untrusted configsets shouldn't be allowed to use <lib> directive
> SOLR-14065 Deprecate Velocity
>
> I also wish to add the following deprecations into 8.4.
>
> SOLR-14067 Deprecate StatelessScriptUpdateProcessor
> SOLR-14066 Deprecate DIH
> SOLR-14070 Deprecate CloudSolrClient's ZKHost constructor
> SOLR-14072 Deprecate plugin loading using runtimelib
>
> Please let me know if that is fine by you, and I'll do this soon. I
> think it should not affect the stability of the release in any way.
> All of these deprecations are important for security purposes, besides
> making Solr more maintainable.
>
> Thanks and regards,
> Ishan
>
> On Fri, Dec 13, 2019 at 3:47 AM Andrzej Białecki <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Done.
> >
> > On 12 Dec 2019, at 18:23, Adrien Grand <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Thank you Andrzej. I noticed my initial suggestion for the RC date falls on Saturday, so I'll build on Monday instead. This will give some more CI cycles to the recent changes that have been merged.
> >
> > On Thu, Dec 12, 2019 at 6:14 PM Andrzej Białecki <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >>
> >> Adrien,
> >> Jenkins discovered a bug in my recent fix for SOLR-13975 (see https://jenkins.thetaphi.de/job/Lucene-Solr-8.x-Windows/591/), I’m testing a fix and should be able to commit it in an hour or so. I’d like to merge it to branch_8_4.
> >>
> >> On 12 Dec 2019, at 15:35, Adrien Grand <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >>
> >> Thanks Uwe!

Hi Ishan,

I'm fine with all these changes.

Adrien

Re: New branch and feature freeze for Lucene/Solr 8.4.0

Adrien Grand
Let's get that one in as well, thanks Yonik.

On Fri, Dec 13, 2019 at 2:26 AM Yonik Seeley <[hidden email]> wrote:
Bad bug (autoscale triggers use async, so splitByPrefix does not work.) . The fix is super simple and very low risk since it's encapsulated within the block only used when splitByPrefix=true.

Adrien

Re: New branch and feature freeze for Lucene/Solr 8.4.0

Jan Høydahl / Cominvent
Deprecation of DIH is ready for review https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-14066
One code change which is a WARN log at startup, other changes are documentation.

Low risk and we’d like to deprecate sooner rather than later in 8.x. Your call Adrien.

Jan

13. des. 2019 kl. 10:03 skrev Adrien Grand <[hidden email]>:

Let's get that one in as well, thanks Yonik.

On Fri, Dec 13, 2019 at 2:26 AM Yonik Seeley <[hidden email]> wrote:
Bad bug (autoscale triggers use async, so splitByPrefix does not work.) . The fix is super simple and very low risk since it's encapsulated within the block only used when splitByPrefix=true.

Adrien

Re: New branch and feature freeze for Lucene/Solr 8.4.0

Kevin Risden-3
Tim found SOLR-14086 which looks like a test only dependency leaking into compile caused by SOLR-14033. I put a patch up. I won't get to get it until later tonight or tomorrow ~24hrs from now.

This causes any Solr Tika usage with 7z or a few other compressed file types (depends if they use commons-compress) to fail due to different classloaders being used.

Kevin Risden

Adrien

Adrien

Re: New branch and feature freeze for Lucene/Solr 8.4.0

Adrien Grand
Hi Kevin,

I'll defer to your judgement regarding whether this is safe to get in 8.4.

Adrien

Re: New branch and feature freeze for Lucene/Solr 8.4.0

Ishan Chattopadhyaya
I've added a few critical fixes for SOLR-13662 to the branch. I tested
them thoroughly and got reviews for the fixes from Jan, Noble and
Eduardo.

On Sun, Dec 15, 2019 at 5:18 AM Adrien Grand <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Kevin,
>
> I'll defer to your judgement regarding whether this is safe to get in 8.4.
>
> Le sam. 14 déc. 2019 à 21:00, Kevin Risden <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>>
>> Tim found SOLR-14086 which looks like a test only dependency leaking into compile caused by SOLR-14033. I put a patch up. I won't get to get it until later tonight or tomorrow ~24hrs from now.
>>
>> This causes any Solr Tika usage with 7z or a few other compressed file types (depends if they use commons-compress) to fail due to different classloaders being used.
>>
>> Kevin Risden
>>

>> On Sat, Dec 14, 2019 at 2:09 PM Jan Høydahl <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Deprecation of DIH is ready for review https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-14066
>>> One code change which is a WARN log at startup, other changes are documentation.
>>>
>>> Low risk and we’d like to deprecate sooner rather than later in 8.x. Your call Adrien.
>>>
>>> Jan
>>>
>>> 13. des. 2019 kl. 10:03 skrev Adrien Grand <[hidden email]>:

>>> --
>>> Adrien

Re: New branch and feature freeze for Lucene/Solr 8.4.0

Noble Paul നോബിള്‍  नोब्ळ्
I plan to commit the following as well.
It's just a precautionery measure to avoid any future exploits
https://github.com/apache/lucene-solr/pull/1085

Among the various JIRAs mentioned above, it looks like only https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-14066 is not in yet. Please let me know if there are other JIRAs that you are thinking of getting it that have not been pushed yet, but in general I'd like to start pushing changes to 8.5 whenever possible to avoid delaying the release too much.

Adrien

Re: New branch and feature freeze for Lucene/Solr 8.4.0

Ishan Chattopadhyaya
Hi Adrien,
Let's push it to 8.5.
+1 to proceed for RC1.
Thanks,
Ishan

Adrien

Re: New branch and feature freeze for Lucene/Solr 8.4.0

Ishan Chattopadhyaya
Hi Adrien,
I reverted one of the changes in SOLR-14087, and backported to 8.4
branch. Apologies for the last moment change.
If RC1 goes out without this change, no worries and we'll deal with it later.
Thanks and regards,
Ishan

On Mon, Dec 16, 2019 at 3:50 PM Ishan Chattopadhyaya
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Adrien,
> Let's push it to 8.5.
> +1 to proceed for RC1.
> Thanks,
> Ishan
>
> On Mon, 16 Dec, 2019, 2:07 PM Adrien Grand, <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Among the various JIRAs mentioned above, it looks like only https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-14066 is not in yet. Please let me know if there are other JIRAs that you are thinking of getting it that have not been pushed yet, but in general I'd like to start pushing changes to 8.5 whenever possible to avoid delaying the release too much.
>>
>> On Sun, Dec 15, 2019 at 1:17 PM Noble Paul <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> I plan to commit the following as well.
>>> It's just a precautionery measure to avoid any future exploits
>>> https://github.com/apache/lucene-solr/pull/1085

>>> --
>>>

>> --
>> Adrien