New look for the HTML admin pages?

Bertrand Delacretaz-2
Hi Solr team,

We have a "multimedia designer" student working as a trainee in our
office, and I could probably grab him for one or two days to improve
the looks of the Solr admin pages (needs probably only a new CSS
stylesheet and a few background images).

I don't know who designed these pages, and maybe they have some
sentimental value, but IMHO they could look better - while remaining
simple and clean of course.

How does that sound?

If there's agreement, I'll ask him to come up with 2-3 proposals that
we can vote on.

-Bertrand

Re: New look for the HTML admin pages?

Zaheed Haque
Sounds cool. What about the front end i.e. example XSLT? is there any thoughts
regarding that i.e provide a rather complex xslt? no?

Cheers

On 11/29/06, Bertrand Delacretaz <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Solr team,
>
> We have a "multimedia designer" student working as a trainee in our
> office, and I could probably grab him for one or two days to improve
> the looks of the Solr admin pages (needs probably only a new CSS
> stylesheet and a few background images).
>
> I don't know who designed these pages, and maybe they have some
> sentimental value, but IMHO they could look better - while remaining
> simple and clean of course.
>
> How does that sound?
>
> If there's agreement, I'll ask him to come up with 2-3 proposals that
> we can vote on.
>
> -Bertrand

Re: New look for the HTML admin pages?

Bertrand Delacretaz
On 11/29/06, Zaheed Haque <[hidden email]> wrote:
> ...What about the front end i.e. example XSLT?...

Not sure what you mean, currently the admin pages are currently
generated by JSP pages IIUC.

If we move to XSLT later on, using the CSS that would be created
during this redesign wouldn't be a problem.

-Bertrand

Re: New look for the HTML admin pages?

Zaheed Haque
On 11/29/06, Bertrand Delacretaz <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On 11/29/06, Zaheed Haque <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > ...What about the front end i.e. example XSLT?...
>
> Not sure what you mean, currently the admin pages are currently
> generated by JSP pages IIUC.
>
> If we move to XSLT later on, using the CSS that would be created
> during this redesign wouldn't be a problem.

Sorry I didn't mean the admin pages. I meant the search interface i.e.
XML/XSLT file -- located i think in example/xslt/example.xsl. My thinking
was =

---> you come to nice admin interface ---> then you perform a search
from the admin tool.
--> and you get a XSLT/XML based results and it has similler look like
the admin tool.

Nothing fancy :-) I thought as you are going to let a designer do all
that might as well
do all.

> -Bertrand

Re: New look for the HTML admin pages?

Bertrand Delacretaz-2
On 11/29/06, Zaheed Haque <[hidden email]> wrote:

> ...---> you come to nice admin interface ---> then you perform a search
> from the admin tool.
> --> and you get a XSLT/XML based results and it has similler look like
> the admin tool...

Ok, got it now!

Good idea, there could be an option on the search page to see results
in HTML with the same looks as the admin pages.

-Bertrand

Re: New look for the HTML admin pages?

Zaheed Haque
On 11/29/06, Bertrand Delacretaz <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 11/29/06, Zaheed Haque <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > ...---> you come to nice admin interface ---> then you perform a search
> > from the admin tool.
> > --> and you get a XSLT/XML based results and it has similler look like
> > the admin tool...
>
> Ok, got it now!
>
> Good idea, there could be an option on the search page to see results
> in HTML with the same looks as the admin pages.

Yes, that would be cool!

Also IMHO it would be good to re-arrange some of the information i.e.
current time, server time, cwd, ip address etc in a menu called -
"server details" or something. I am sure others here in the list has
lot more ideas. I am just throwing some ideas so that we can discuss
the issue.

Cheers

> -Bertrand

Re: New look for the HTML admin pages?

Yonik Seeley-2
On 11/29/06, Bertrand Delacretaz <[hidden email]> wrote:
> We have a "multimedia designer" student working as a trainee in our
> office, and I could probably grab him for one or two days to improve
> the looks of the Solr admin pages (needs probably only a new CSS
> stylesheet and a few background images).

+1, that would be great!

Any of the XML generated by the admin pages (and XSL) is also fair
game IMO, since I don't think anyone currently relies on it's specific
format (yet).

> I don't know who designed these pages, and maybe they have some
> sentimental value, but IMHO they could look better - while remaining
> simple and clean of course.

I borrowed the css and basic html from CNET's other internal search
engine, and hacked it a little from there.  I've always been a backend
person with little personal interest in GUIs :-)

Re: New look for the HTML admin pages?

Chris Hostetter-3

: We have a "multimedia designer" student working as a trainee in our
: office, and I could probably grab him for one or two days to improve
: the looks of the Solr admin pages (needs probably only a new CSS
: stylesheet and a few background images).

sounds great ... i've also been wishing someone with graphical skills
would volunteer to design a cool "powered by" button if that's something
he'd be interested in.

I also don't think anyoe is particularly in love with the current Solr
logo or favicon, so those are probably on the table if he's got any cool
ideas as well.

Re: New look for the HTML admin pages?

Yonik Seeley-2
> I also don't think anyoe is particularly in love with the current Solr
> logo or favicon, so those are probably on the table if he's got any cool
> ideas as well.

I don't know if our user community is big enough, but we could always
try a logo contest.
At the minimum, other logo contests could be a source if inspiration
(shale has many nice ASF ones):

http://shale.apache.org/logo-contest.html

-Yonik
http://incubator.apache.org/solr Solr, the open-source Lucene search server

Re: New look for the HTML admin pages?

Otis Gospodnetic-2
Bertrand, please keep SOLR-58 in mind.  I'm nearly finished with it.  If you decide to make changes to the structure of admin pages, please do it within SOLR-58, so we avoid collision.  There is some XSLT there already.

Otis