Newbie task + request

Pramod Kumar
Hi all,

I am a newbie and was looking to pick up a quick task as my first (SOLR-13205).
However, I don’t seem to be able to assign it to myself. Can someone please assign it to me? If I am missing something obvious, let me know how I can do it myself.

There is some additional cleanup that I am planning on doing as a part of that task
- There are a couple of places that do a charAt. I am planning on doing a null or empty check for the field and use the default if so.
- Replace charAt with startsWith anyway since default can be null or empty.
- Planning on also throwing an exception during init() if the arguments are not good.

Let me know if someone disagrees.

I also had another request. I am a fairly experienced engineer, but very new to open source and Apache. I am super interested in this space and that’s why I am looking to contribute substantially I hope. Is anyone willing to be a mini-mentor for me? I was just hoping for someone to answer some n00b questions in the beginning, that may cut down my spinning time in the beginning. Nothing super formal, and I promise to not take more than an hour a week at max. That time I would expect to dwindle down to nothing after a month or so.

Thanks.

Pramod

Re: Newbie task + request

Jason Gerlowski
Hi Pramod,

I'm pretty sure Erick answered some of your questions on the
SOLR-13205 jira already, but I wanted to restate those answers here
for other beginners that may be reading this thread or stumble on it
later.

The way our project is set up, only "committers" can assign tickets in
JIRA.  In practice, what you can do instead is post a comment
indicating that you've started looking into the ticket - that's enough
to prevent two people from accidentally doing the same work.

In terms of mini-mentoring- I'd suggest getting set up in our IRC
channels or Slack chatroom.  Of course, anything you ask there can be
asked on the mailing list too.  But you might get feedback more
quickly in Slack/IRC than on the mailing list.  I've sent you an
invite to Slack, in case you're interested.  Feel free to ping me
("@gerlowskija") on any questions you have there, or in JIRA, and I'll
try to help you out.

Good luck on the ticket and on getting started in open source!

Jason

On Sun, Jun 28, 2020 at 10:10 PM Pramod Kumar
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I am a newbie and was looking to pick up a quick task as my first (SOLR-13205).
> However, I don’t seem to be able to assign it to myself. Can someone please assign it to me? If I am missing something obvious, let me know how I can do it myself.
>
> There is some additional cleanup that I am planning on doing as a part of that task
> - There are a couple of places that do a charAt. I am planning on doing a null or empty check for the field and use the default if so.
> - Replace charAt with startsWith anyway since default can be null or empty.
> - Planning on also throwing an exception during init() if the arguments are not good.
>
> Let me know if someone disagrees.
>

> I also had another request. I am a fairly experienced engineer, but very new to open source and Apache. I am super interested in this space and that’s why I am looking to contribute substantially I hope. Is anyone willing to be a mini-mentor for me? I was just hoping for someone to answer some n00b questions in the beginning, that may cut down my spinning time in the beginning. Nothing super formal, and I promise to not take more than an hour a week at max. That time I would expect to dwindle down to nothing after a month or so.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Pramod

Re: Newbie task + request

Pramod Kumar
Hi Jason,

Thanks for the information, and the invitation to the Slack channel.
Appreciate it.

Pramod