No search result behavior (a la Amazon)

Caligula
It appears to me that Amazon is using a 100% minimum match policy.  If there are no matches, they break down the original search terms and give suggestion search results.

example:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=ipod+nano+4th+generation+8gb+blue+calcium&x=0&y=0

Can Solr natively achieve something similar?  If not, can you suggest a way to achieve this?  A custom RequestHandler?

Thanks!

RE: No search result behavior (a la Amazon)

Nguyen, Joe-2
Have a look at DisMaxRequestHandler and play with mm (miminum terms
should match)

http://wiki.apache.org/solr/DisMaxRequestHandler?highlight=%28CategorySo
lrRequestHandler%29%7C%28%28CategorySolrRequestHandler%29%29#head-6c5fe4
1d68f3910ed544311435393f5727408e61

RE: No search result behavior (a la Amazon)

Nguyen, Joe-2

Seemed like its first search required match all terms.
If it could not find it, like you motioned, you broke down into multiple
smaller term set and ran search to get total hit for each smaller term
set, sort the results by total hits, and display summary page.

Searching for "A B C" would be
1. q= +A +B +C Match all terms
2. q= +A +B -C Match A and B but not C
3. q =+A -B +C
4. q = ....

Nguyen, Joe-2 wrote:

> Have a look at DisMaxRequestHandler and play with mm (miminum terms
> should match)
>
> http://wiki.apache.org/solr/DisMaxRequestHandler?highlight=%28Category
> So
> lrRequestHandler%29%7C%28%28CategorySolrRequestHandler%29%29#head-6c5f
> e4
> 1d68f3910ed544311435393f5727408e61

Mike Klaas

On 20-Nov-08, at 11:40 AM, Caligula wrote:

> Thanks.  I understand what Amazon is doing.  The original question
> is how to
> achieve this with Solr.  And to be more specific, how to achieve
> this within
> Solr and not involve multiple search queries to Solr.

There isn't a way.  The best way to do it is to issue multiple queries
to Solr.

-Mike