Old programmers do fade away

12

Old programmers do fade away

Erick Erickson
40 years is enough. OK, it's only been 39 1/2 years. Dear Lord, has it really been that long? Programming's been fun, I've gotten to solve puzzles every day. The art and science of programming has changed over that time. Let me tell you about the joys of debugging with a Z80 stack emulator that required that you to look on the stack for variables and trace function calls by knowing how to follow frame pointers. Oh the tedium! Oh the (lack of) speed! Not to mention that 64K of memory was all you had to work with. I had a co-worker who could predict the number of bytes by which the program would shrink based on extracting common code to functions. The "good old days"...weren't...

I'd been thinking that I'd treat Lucene/Solr as a hobby, doing occasional work on it when I was bored over long winter nights. I've discovered, though, that I've been increasingly reluctant to crack open the code. I guess that after this much time, I'm ready to hang up my spurs. One major factor is the realization that there's so much going on with Lucene/Solr that simply being aware of the changes, much less trying to really understand them, isn't something I can do casually.

I bought a welder and find myself more interested in playing with that than programming. Wait until you see the squirrel-proof garden enclosure I'm building with it. If my initial plan doesn't work, next up is an electric fence along the top. The laser-sighted automatic machine gun emplacement will take more planning...Ahhh, probably won't be able to get a permit from the township for that though. Do you think the police would notice? Perhaps I should add that the local police station is two blocks away and in the line of fire. But an infrared laser powerful enough to "pre-cook" them wouldn't be as obvious would it?

Why am I so fixated on squirrels? One of the joys of gardening is fresh tomatoes rather than those red things they sell in the store. The squirrels ATE EVERY ONE OF MY TOMATOES WHILE THEY WERE STILL GREEN LAST YEAR! And the melons. In the words of B. Bunny: "Of course you realize this means war" (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XNr-BQgpd0)...

Then there's working in the garden and landscaping, the desk I want to build for my wife, travel as soon as I can, maybe seeing if some sailboats need crew...you get the idea.

It's been a privilege to work with this group, you're some of the best and brightest. Many thanks to all who've generously given me their time and guidance. It's been a constant source of amazement to me how willing people are to take time out of their own life and work to help me when I've had questions. I owe a lot of people beers ;)

I'll be stopping my list subscriptions, Slack channels (dm me if you need something), un-assigning any JIRAs and that kind of thing over the next while. If anyone's interested in taking over the BadApple report, let me know and I can put the code up somewhere. It takes about 10 minutes to do each week. I won't disappear entirely, things like the code-reformatting effort are nicely self-contained for instance and something I can to casually.

My e-mail address if you need to get in touch with me is: "[hidden email]". There's a correlation between gmail addresses that are just a name with no numbers and a person's age... A co-worker came over to my desk in pre-historical times and said "there's this new mail service you might want to sign up for"... Like I said, 40 years is enough.

Best to all,

Re: Old programmers do fade away

Ilan Ginzburg
Hey Eric,

Sad and happy to read your message. You've been a clear voice in the Lucene Solr community and I was always AMAZED how willing you are to help and explain, over and over again when needed.
That's the sad part.

The happy part is that those squirrels do need to learn and the electric fence at the top does sound reasonable. Hope tomatoes don't care too much about lack of freedom.

Really appreciated interacting with you in my short time here. Have fun!

Ilan

On Wed, Dec 30, 2020 at 3:09 PM Erick Erickson <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Atri Sharma-3
It has been a privilege to watch you work your magic and reference the great work that you have done in this project. Thank you for setting the bar for us.

I am happy to support the BadApples report if you would like

On Wed, 30 Dec 2020, 19:46 Erick Erickson, <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Bram Van Dam
Your presence on the user mailing list will be sorely missed. You've
been an invaluable source of good advice for years. I owe you at least
$bignum beers.

Best of luck with the squirrel problem (they are rather tasty) and any
other fun projects!

Take care, and thank you,

 - Bram

RE: Old programmers do fade away

ufuk yılmaz

I can only wish to be as productive as you 35 years from now, you have been an inspiration to me even though I only know you through your answers to hard questions here and presentations on youtube 😊

Hope you will enjoy your free time even more from now, and find a way to protect those tomatoes from pesky thiefs.

Regards

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Re: Old programmers do fade away

Michael Sokolov-4
Woah! That plan sounds like fun! I might have to join you, but not yet
:) On the topic of squirrels, you must have seen this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFZFjoX2cGg, but I share it again
because it always deserves a second watch. Also, my own personal
attempt at squirrel-proofing didn't go so well:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/i2Dken7DS89s1eBw8

and of course thank you for all the contributions, dedication, and
great community spirit - we'll miss you, Erick!

-Mike

On Wed, Dec 30, 2020 at 9:09 AM Erick Erickson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>
> I'll be stopping my list subscriptions, Slack channels (dm me if you need something), un-assigning any JIRAs and that kind of thing over the next while. If anyone's interested in taking over the BadApple report, let me know and I can put the code up somewhere. It takes about 10 minutes to do each week. I won't disappear entirely, things like the code-reformatting effort are nicely self-contained for instance and something I can to casually.
>
> My e-mail address if you need to get in touch with me is: "[hidden email]". There's a correlation between gmail addresses that are just a name with no numbers and a person's age... A co-worker came over to my desk in pre-historical times and said "there's this new mail service you might want to sign up for"... Like I said, 40 years is enough.

Alexandre Rafalovitch
Erick,

I kept hoping to meet again at a future conference and have an
extended version of the talk we had the first time we met. It was very
valuable but I felt I only got a glimpse of what was possible.
Perhaps, one day, I can travel near your actual "nest" and buy you a
beer or two and listen to the true war stories at the search coalface.

Until then, I wish you luck with the furry rats. We have some in our
backyard, but since we haven't - yet - started growing things, I view
them with amusement rather than anger. But, next summer, I will
probably follow your steps too. I wonder if Tesla coils are more DIY
then the laser-guided heat rays. Though heat rays on lower settings
could be quite nice in Montreal winter, I am sure.

Regards,
   Alex.
P.s. Good old days! When one had to tell the disassembler that the
hack Xonix and Arkanoid levels!
P.p.s. If you need any listening material while you garden, I suspect
you will enjoy the hardware/software discussions podcast: "On the
metal" https://oxide.computer/podcast/

On Wed, 30 Dec 2020 at 09:09, Erick Erickson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>
> I'll be stopping my list subscriptions, Slack channels (dm me if you need something), un-assigning any JIRAs and that kind of thing over the next while. If anyone's interested in taking over the BadApple report, let me know and I can put the code up somewhere. It takes about 10 minutes to do each week. I won't disappear entirely, things like the code-reformatting effort are nicely self-contained for instance and something I can to casually.
>
> My e-mail address if you need to get in touch with me is: "[hidden email]". There's a correlation between gmail addresses that are just a name with no numbers and a person's age... A co-worker came over to my desk in pre-historical times and said "there's this new mail service you might want to sign up for"... Like I said, 40 years is enough.

Re: Old programmers do NOT fade away

Martin Gainty
Hey Erick

you should've been PMC with the immense amount of work you put into this project
i would be happy to pickup some of the potential slack maybe the bad-apple-report ?
BUT MY SCHEDULE CAN BE RANDOMLY FILLED WITH
playing with grandkids
Helping out eldest daughter..(something about father knows best especially when it comes to home remodeling)
Taking mandatory breaks for shoveling snow or cleaning out plugged toilet (c***py mandatory manual landlord tasks)
i just bought a multi-family in nutley near orange so i am hoping (once this silly covid mess is over and done with) we could possibly meet for a coffee on sloan street?
I have hired trusty relative to be my site-manager but next time I come down to visit the property i'll give you a nudge
I'll admit to being a few years older than yourself but if a 78 year old guy can become president then maybe there is hope for us old-timers!

For your squirrel problem...Ring has a nice motion-detect camera advertised here
Ring Floodlight Camera Motion-Activated HD Security Cam Two-Way Talk and Siren Alarm (amazon.com)
i think its ok to shoot a squirrel but if the homeless are stealing tomatoes.. the homeless here are out-of-work-attornies that are itching to sue somebody

l8r
Marty Gainty

Re: Old programmers do fade away

Dawid Weiss-2
Hi Erick!

I think open source should be a hobby. Then it's fun. And hobbies
change, as do people. 40 years is a lot of fun doing programming! But
then... you know, the welding machine sounds sooo exciting! :)

I'm really sad to see you switch interests, especially that I've
enjoyed working with you so much (can't believe you leave me with that
large tidy patch for a welder... :). But hey, it's not the end of the
world -- hope to see you sometime down the road!

Dawid

> [...]

> I'll be stopping my list subscriptions, Slack channels (dm me if you need something), un-assigning any JIRAs and that kind of thing over the next while. If anyone's interested in taking over the BadApple report, let me know and I can put the code up somewhere. It takes about 10 minutes to do each week. I won't disappear entirely, things like the code-reformatting effort are nicely self-contained for instance and something I can to casually.
>
> My e-mail address if you need to get in touch with me is: "[hidden email]". There's a correlation between gmail addresses that are just a name with no numbers and a person's age... A co-worker came over to my desk in pre-historical times and said "there's this new mail service you might want to sign up for"... Like I said, 40 years is enough.

Adrien

Re: Old programmers do fade away

Vincenzo D'Amore
Hi Erick, I want just to say thank you for your help.
You have been one of the most present and reliable voices to listen in the Community.
Thanks again for all your help and support, I wish you all the best.

[...]

Vincenzo D'Amore

Re: Old programmers do fade away

Gus Heck
Good luck and enjoy the welder. I did some welding many years ago, and it's quite a cool thing to turn two bits of metal into a single piece. Hopefully you've not had to learn about the UV emissions given off by the arc by getting a good solid sunburn the way I did :).

The community will certainly miss your input. I've found reading your responses to folks and your blog posts quite helpful.

As for squirrels, they are living proof that time on task matters... they have 24/7 to consider how to get to that feeder/garden/whatever, and the ultimate motivation. Most humans put a few hours a week into keeping them out, hence the frequency with which they win.

Best of luck and enjoy!

-Gus

On Thu, Dec 31, 2020 at 9:04 AM Vincenzo D'Amore <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

David Smiley
I'm *really* sad to see you stepping away.  You're a legend in our community, especially with your tireless help to our users.  And you're truly a pleasure to work with and to simply know.

40 years is enough indeed... but... I'll make a last ditch selfish request to help me come to grips with you leaving:  consider "fading away" (gradually) instead of more suddenly.  I sympathize with the difficulty in keeping up with development but you needn't try to -- just restrict your attention to a limited area of the code or topically.  This suggestion is directed at not just you but really at anyone who wants to contribute.  This is a huge project that is probably overwhelming to newcomers.  I use a keyword based email filter technique for this.  Maybe you might consider helping with the Solr TLP migration?  That's more social and less code hacking.  I hope this paragraph comes off respectfully -- it's ultimately your choice to enjoy your time as you wish.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on retirement and further interests. It is thought provoking to consider what to do at retirement age.  So many possibilities.

Oh and finally, thanks for this email to announce your intentions.  It's rather rare to get this; others fade away without an announcement and so there is no public reflection on the departure of the individual.  I could list some but I don't want to distract from your message.

Ryan: that squirrel water shooter video at PyCon was fantastic; thanks for sharing!

~ David Smiley
Apache Lucene/Solr Search Developer

[...]

Anshum Gupta
Hey Erick!

I'm really happy to hear that you have found something that interests you even more than programming and open source. It's been great pleasure working with you all this while.

Thank you for all your contributions and good luck with the welding machine. I'm looking forward to seeing what you build and hope to see you when things are safe and we are in the same city :)

[...]

Anshum Gupta

Re: Old programmers do fade away

Tomoko Uchida
Hi Erick.

40 years is indeed amazing - I'm not sure I can keep up with the fast-paced industry for that long ;)
Meanwhile, life is also long today, hope to see you again someday. Thank you for all your contributions. I'll miss you as others will do so. Wish you all the best.

Tomoko

2021年1月2日(土) 9:11 Anshum Gupta <[hidden email]>:
[...]

Anshum Gupta

Anshum Gupta

Re: Old programmers do fade away

Yonik Seeley
Thank you for everything you've done for Lucene/Solr over the years Erick!

I sympathize with your squirrel situation... I tried to grow tomatoes the first year when we moved into our house in NJ.
We had a small wire fence around the patch, but it was clearly insufficient against the deer and squirrels around here.
I eventually switched to just growing stuff on my deck (for the deer), and switched to hot peppers, which the squirrels
pretty much leave alone :-)

Hope to (eventually) see more of everyone in person!
Happy new year, and good luck staying retired Erick!

-Yonik

p.s. I first learned to program on a Z80 as well: http://www.trs-80.org/model-1/

[...]

guenterh.lists@bluewin.ch
Hi Erick

thanks for your work you have done for the library world.
You were one of the people who made it possible to show libraries the
way to use search engines for their "discovery services".

Günter

On 30.12.20 15:09, Erick Erickson wrote:

> [...]
>
> I'll be stopping my list subscriptions, Slack channels (dm me if you need something), un-assigning any JIRAs and that kind of thing over the next while. If anyone's interested in taking over the BadApple report, let me know and I can put the code up somewhere. It takes about 10 minutes to do each week. I won't disappear entirely, things like the code-reformatting effort are nicely self-contained for instance and something I can to casually.
>
> My e-mail address if you need to get in touch with me is: "[hidden email]". There's a correlation between gmail addresses that are just a name with no numbers and a person's age... A co-worker came over to my desk in pre-historical times and said "there's this new mail service you might want to sign up for"... Like I said, 40 years is enough.

12