Opinions wanted about a new Solr logo (SOLR-58)

Opinions wanted about a new Solr logo (SOLR-58)

Bertrand Delacretaz
Hi Solr users,

This is also being discussed on solr-dev, but we thought we'd gather
opinions from the whole community.

We are considering a new logo and would like to have your input:
please tell us which you like better, the current logo or the new
proposal, see http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-84

Also, if you have a new idea you'd like people to consider,please
attach it to that jira issue (use "attach file", the screenshot
attachments don't seem to be as useful). Adobe Illustrator and SVG
versions of the proposed logo are available there if you want to play
with them.

-Bertrand

RE: Opinions wanted about a new Solr logo (SOLR-58)

Fuad Efendi
Very artistic design, I like it.
Without moon would be simpler (logo should be very simple); may be need to
modify last letter 'r' (if moon removed)... Can we play more with same base
idea? for instance, without moon, and put sun a little bit (2%-5% of font
height) higher (it would add dynamic)

RE: Opinions wanted about a new Solr logo (SOLR-58)

Fuad Efendi
Note: moon does not look like this when it is close to sun. Thin moon +
8-point star is symbol of Venus (ancient Babylon). Two 4-point stars are
symbol of evening star, and morning star, and moon looks thin when it is
close to planet Venus which is close to Sun. To be correct (astronomically)
we need to turn moon on existing logo 180 degrees, and make it even thinner
(almost invisible)
Anyway, I think 2 design ideas (fonts + sun) are more than enough for logo,
and we should play a little with few versions...

On 12/15/06, Fuad Efendi <[hidden email]> wrote:

> ...Can we play more with same base
> idea?...

You're welcome to create modified or different proposals of course!

The logo was created by our trainee Nicolas, who's finishing his time
at my office next week, and he won't have much time (if any) to play
more with it. So it would be better if people with ideas could
implement them, for a truly open source logo ;-)

-Bertrand

Re: Opinions wanted about a new Solr logo (SOLR-58)

Clay Webster
Nice stuff.  I like it.  I could see that the crescent could be a bit bulky
in
some circumstances where you might want one with less vertical size.

I did the initial logo and +1 this one.

--cw

On 12/15/06, Bertrand Delacretaz <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 12/15/06, Fuad Efendi <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > ...Can we play more with same base
> > idea?...
>
> You're welcome to create modified or different proposals of course!
>
> The logo was created by our trainee Nicolas, who's finishing his time
> at my office next week, and he won't have much time (if any) to play
> more with it. So it would be better if people with ideas could
> implement them, for a truly open source logo ;-)
>
> -Bertrand

Re: Opinions wanted about a new Solr logo (SOLR-58)

Linda Tan-2
Just my 2 cents: I quickly erased the crescent in Paint, and I like it much better.

-linda

On 12/18/06, Clay Webster <[hidden email]> wrote:
Nice stuff.  I like it.  I could see that the crescent could be a bit bulky
in
some circumstances where you might want one with less vertical size.

I did the initial logo and +1 this one.

--cw

On 12/15/06, Bertrand Delacretaz <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 12/15/06, Fuad Efendi <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > ...Can we play more with same base
> > idea?...
>
> You're welcome to create modified or different proposals of course!
>
> The logo was created by our trainee Nicolas, who's finishing his time
> at my office next week, and he won't have much time (if any) to play
> more with it. So it would be better if people with ideas could
> implement them, for a truly open source logo ;-)
>
> -Bertrand

RE: Opinions wanted about a new Solr logo (SOLR-58)

Linda Tan
I just learned no attachments are allowed on this list. I've put the
image in the jira

-linda

________________________________

On 12/18/06, Linda Tan <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I just learned no attachments are allowed on this list. I've put the
> image in the jira..

Thanks, it looks good indeed!
-Bertrand

Re: Opinions wanted about a new Solr logo (SOLR-58)

sangraal
I like the version without the 'swoosh'. Simplicity is king in by book.

-S

On 12/18/06, Bertrand Delacretaz <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 12/18/06, Linda Tan <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > I just learned no attachments are allowed on this list. I've put the
> > image in the jira..
>
> Thanks, it looks good indeed!
> -Bertrand

Newbie Question acts_as_solr

Mike Beccaria
Hi all,

Forgive me for the newbie questions (the questions rolling in here seem to
be way over my current level of competence). I'm learning ruby on rails to
implement a searchable catalog of items and want to use the acts_as_solr
plugin to eventually create a faceted search design.

I feel awkward even asking this as it may seem so basic that I may be
missing something obvious, but no online tutorials seem to walk through the
process from start to finish.

I watched the movie on http://acts-as-solr.rubyforge.org/ and I can get the
application to work from the console (switching the schema.xml file,
starting the java server thingy and all that) but I am having trouble
implementing it in a rails web application. How does the Java server
interact with rails? To use acts_as_solr in a web based application (search
box->results list) should I start the java server like in the tutorial?

Anyway, I'm trying to make the simplest search box and results list
possible. I'm getting and "undefined method `find_by_solr' for
#<Movie:0x367a6f8>" error with the files below. I know it's got to be
something dumb and obvious. Can someone point me in the right direction? It
would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike Beccaria
Systems Librarian
Paul Smith's College

Here is my rails outline:
Search_controller.rb:
class SearchController < ApplicationController
 def index
 end
  def searchdb
    movie=Movie.new
    @query= movie.find_by_solr(params[:squery])
  end
end

/models/movie.rb:
class Movie < ActiveRecord::Base
  acts_as_solr
end

/views/search/index.rhtml:
<head>
<title> Test!!!</title>
</head>
<%= start_form_tag :controller=>'search', :action=>'searchdb' %>
  <%= text_field_tag :squery%>
  <%= submit_tag( "Search") %>
<%= end_form_tag %>

/views/search/searchdb.rhtml:
<head>
        <title> Hello!!!test</title>
</head>
        <label><%= @query %></label>

to this message are intended for the exclusive use of the addressee(s) and
may contain confidential or privileged Information.  If you are not the
intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately or reply via e-mail
and destroy all copies of the message and any attachments.  Thank you.
<<<<GWAVAsig>>>>

Re: Newbie Question acts_as_solr

Erik Hatcher
Mike,

Yes, Solr needs to be running within a Java web application server to
operate.  Like a database server, for example.

Try Movie.find_by_solr, not lowercase "movie".  find_by_solr is a
class-level method, not an instance method.

        Erik

On Dec 18, 2006, at 4:01 PM, Mike Beccaria wrote:

> [...]
> <title> Test!!!</title>
> </head>
> <%= start_form_tag :controller=>'search', :action=>'searchdb' %>
>   <%= text_field_tag :squery%>
>   <%= submit_tag( "Search") %>
> <%= end_form_tag %>
>
> /views/search/searchdb.rhtml:
> <head>
> <title> Hello!!!test</title>
> </head>
> <label><%= @query %></label>

> attachments
> to this message are intended for the exclusive use of the addressee
> (s) and
> may contain confidential or privileged Information.  If you are not
> the
> intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately or reply
> via e-mail
> and destroy all copies of the message and any attachments.  Thank you.

Erik,

You're a genius. That did the trick for getting "something" back. I'll be at
the code4lib conference (and pre-conference) in Atlanta and I'll be looking
forward to talking with you.

Another question...
The controller:
@query= Movie.find_by_solr(params[:squery])
Then in the view:
<label><%= @query %></label>

Produces 2 hits (as per count_by_solr) that look like this : "##"

Why does it return a "#" and how do you return the result attributes (like
title or synopsis etc.) in the array? Do you have to run a find on the
database at that point?

Debugging tip: use <%= debug @query %> to see exactly what you got.

> Produces 2 hits (as per count_by_solr) that look like this : "##"
>
> Why does it return a "#" and how do you return the result
> attributes (like
> title or synopsis etc.) in the array? Do you have to run a find on the
> database at that point?

find_by_solr is designed to pull the database records by primary key
after it searches Solr, so what you get back is the same kind of
thing you'd get back if you did a regular ActiveRecord
#find_all_by_<whatever>.  In other words, you get an array of Movie
objects back.  So try using @query.each loop to display each hit.

I'd call it something besides @query, since it really is @results :)

        Erik

RE: Newbie Question acts_as_solr

Mike Beccaria
Erik

Awesome. Debug is helpful. I also found that for awhile I was using <%
instead of <%= and that caused some problems :) You've been very helpful!
Thank you.

Mike