[POLL] Users of abortOnConfigurationError ?

[POLL] Users of abortOnConfigurationError ?

hossman

Due to some issues with the (lack of) functionality behind the
"abortOnConfigurationError" option in solrconfig.xml, I'd like to take a
quick poll of the solr-user community...

  * If you have never heard of the abortOnConfigurationError
    option prior to this message, please ignore this email.

  * If you have seen abortOnConfigurationError in solrconfig.xml,
    or in error messages when using Solr, but you have never
    modified the value of this option in your configs, or changed
    it at run time, please ignore this email.

  * If you have ever set abortOnConfigurationError=false, either
    in your config files or at run time, please reply to these
    three questions...

1) What version of Solr are you using ?

2) What advantages do you percieve that you have by setting
    abortOnConfigurationError=false ?

3) What problems do you suspect you would encounter if this
    option was eliminated in future versions of Solr ?

Thank you.

(For people who are interested, the impetuses for this Poll can be found
in SOLR-1743, SOLR-1817, SOLR-1824, and SOLR-1832)

Re: [POLL] Users of abortOnConfigurationError ?

Ryan McKinley
The 'abortOnConfigurationError' option was added a long time ago...
at the time, there were many errors that would just be written to the
logs but startup would continue normally.

I felt (and still do) that if there is a configuration error
everything should fail loudly.  The option in solrconfig.xml was added
as a back-compatible way to get both behaviors.

I don't see any value in letting solr continue working even though
something was configured wrong.

Does a lack replies to this thread imply that everyone agrees?
(Reading the email, and following directions, i should just "ignore
this email)

Ryan

On Thu, Mar 18, 2010 at 9:12 PM, Chris Hostetter
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Due to some issues with the (lack of) functionality behind the
> "abortOnConfigurationError" option in solrconfig.xml, I'd like to take a
> quick poll of the solr-user community...
>
>  * If you have never heard of the abortOnConfigurationError
>   option prior to this message, please ignore this email.
>
>  * If you have seen abortOnConfigurationError in solrconfig.xml,
>   or in error messages when using Solr, but you have never
>   modified the value of this option in your configs, or changed
>   it at run time, please ignore this email.
>
>  * If you have ever set abortOnConfigurationError=false, either
>   in your config files or at run time, please reply to these
>   three questions...
>
> 1) What version of Solr are you using ?
>
> 2) What advantages do you percieve that you have by setting
>   abortOnConfigurationError=false ?
>
> 3) What problems do you suspect you would encounter if this
>   option was eliminated in future versions of Solr ?
>
> Thank you.
>
> (For people who are interested, the impetuses for this Poll can be found in
> SOLR-1743, SOLR-1817, SOLR-1824, and SOLR-1832)
>

> -Hoss

Re: [POLL] Users of abortOnConfigurationError ?

hossman

: I felt (and still do) that if there is a configuration error
: everything should fail loudly.  The option in solrconfig.xml was added
: as a back-compatible way to get both behaviors.

Oh man ... i completley remembered that backwards ... i thought you were
the one that was argueing in favor of letting people set
aportOnConfigError=false so that they could use handlerA even if handlerB
didn't init properly.

: Does a lack replies to this thread imply that everyone agrees?

I think so.

-Hoss